Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:03 pm

thanks for the bus info!

We'll definitely look for that bus. We won't need RT since we head over to San Sebastian afterwards then up to Sarlat, France, etc... Do you recommend any specific small towns to visit? We saw some info about a kayaking trip on the coast that looks interesting. We're not party people so we'll be more interested in seeing sites and crashing so we can do it again the next day. We thought 5 nights would be a good start since we'll probably be jet lagged from CA time zone. Thanks for the tips!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:13 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Bad Stay

Just back from a three night stay. As a Gold other than free internet and late check out we received nothing. We did not have our requested bed type, king, let alone an upgrade. The worst thing was the beds. We both had back aches after the first night. Our room was changed but the next room, still with no king bed, had beds just as soft. The hotel had a solution, boards under the mattress. The boards were actually cut for a king bed and therefore stuck out on the sides of the beds. You had to be careful not to hit the boards. The boards did make a difference thankfully. Class act given the room rates this place asks. We will never return to this hotel and would not recommend it.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat100, BAEC Silver, M&M FTL, Friend of Laphroaig
I've just finished a two day award stay. Arrived early (~10-10:30), asked for an early check in and a switch from 2 single beds to a king. Early check in wasn't possible (property almost fully booked), didn't really matter as I could enjoy a breakfast/lunch at Kaiku.

They called me around 3h later saying that the room is ready. They switched me to a king bed and apologised for not upgrading me (I didn't even ask for an upgrade).

Room - spacious, modern, unfortunately with a view over a side street, but still nice. A small gift set of Hermès toiletries (cologne+soap) + chocolates were delivered early evening, quite a nice surprise.

Service is A+, after Budapest and Split another great Le Meridien property.

The only drawback was the hotel bar - they have a new menu of sparkling cocktails, yet they had serious problems mixing them, and the price on the check was also 2€ higher than on the menu.

Will definitely come back if I'm in Barcelona again.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Looks like wifi is now free property-wide. ^ There are two tiers, and I'd imagine the premium tier would be free for elites.

We don't have SPG status anymore so free, even slow, wifi sure beats €19 a day. For that price you can get a sim card with 1GB of 4G access around the whole town.

http://www.lemeridienbarcelona.com/e...avel/wifi/wifi
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
Originally Posted by airb330
Looks like wifi is now free property-wide. ^ There are two tiers, and I'd imagine the premium tier would be free for elites.

We don't have SPG status anymore so free, even slow, wifi sure beats €19 a day. For that price you can get a sim card with 1GB of 4G access around the whole town.

http://www.lemeridienbarcelona.com/e...avel/wifi/wifi
I just stayed there a couple of weeks ago. I am Platinum and selected the premium tier when I logged on and the charge was removed from my folio upon checkout.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ImprovGal
I just stayed there a couple of weeks ago. I am Platinum and selected the premium tier when I logged on and the charge was removed from my folio upon checkout.
did you have to ask or was it automatic?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
Originally Posted by BenSenise
did you have to ask or was it automatic?
I mentioned it proactively upon checkout, so I don't know if it would have been automatically removed. I had an issue upon check-in where they hadn't updated my spg status from the system so they showed me as gold since that what I was when I stayed there last year. Since I had to ask for that status refresh, I wasn't going to assume anything was automatic.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, American Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ImprovGal
I mentioned it proactively upon checkout, so I don't know if it would have been automatically removed. I had an issue upon check-in where they hadn't updated my spg status from the system so they showed me as gold since that what I was when I stayed there last year. Since I had to ask for that status refresh, I wasn't going to assume anything was automatic.
I like your chances of getting the charge removed. I stayed at this property for three nights in April and selected the premium internet and it was not changed on my invoice, so there is no reason why they would keep on your based on your Platinum status. The one additional note I will make is that I stayed at multiple properties in Spain back in April and had a challenge with my final folio at two of the properties (that were eventually corrected), but the language barrier was extremely challenging. I speak some Spanish and it appeared that their staff only spoke a little English. This was a major challenge. I hope the removal happens automatically and does not require a conversation. Buenos suerte
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Any recent experience staying here as a Plat?

Is the apparent (according to the hotel's website) sparkling wine (cava I assume) in the early evening a reception in the lobby bar for Plats? Is it complementary? Are they still inviting people for paella, still on (some or all?) Thursday nights? Have people been getting a bottle of wine in their room upon arrival and is this the special local gift as the welcome amenity?

Does the hotel still give out tickets to a nearby art museum? (At other LMs, the system seems to be that you just show your key card at a designated art museum, which works for me too.)

I'm asking because I'm trying to decide between LM and the W for later this month (so the beach and rooftop pool/deck at the W will be too cold), where the W has a buy two get one free night offer from a good rate. This means that the W would be about 35% cheaper. I think I like the LM's location better, but the price difference is making me second guess my decision.

I'm also hoping to use SNAs, if that makes a difference.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:04 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I stayed at both properties in June using SNAs for my room and booking another room for my kids.

The W couldn't have been nicer giving me a giant suite and upgrading my kids to a cool corner room. They extended the platinum benefits to both rooms when I asked if it was possible without hesitation. This included the full buffet breakfast which was quite expensive. Basically even though the place was completely full they couldn't do enough for us.

When we checked into the LM it was completely different. Nothing was offered beyond what was required. Internet for one room only, smallest room in the house for the kids on another elevator bank, and nothing special by way of platinum treatment. The things you mentioned were not mentioned nor were they evident to me. Having said that, the suite they gave me was one of the nicest rooms I have ever had complete with a bay window overlooking the cathedral. I kept telling my wife we should sell the house and move into that suite.

Both before and after Barcelona we stayed at the Palace in Madrid and they treated us exactly as we were treated at the W both times which led me to think a bit less of the LM. In fact on the second time through I was out of suite nights so had booked a regular room but they upgraded us to a two bedroom suite that was even nicer than the first one.

Having said all that, if the weather is cold, you probably should choose the city but with limited expectations of exceptional benefits.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by abk
The W couldn't have been nicer giving me a giant suite and upgrading my kids to a cool corner room. They extended the platinum benefits to both rooms when I asked if it was possible without hesitation. This included the full buffet breakfast which was quite expensive. Basically even though the place was completely full they couldn't do enough for us.
We just had a similar experience last week at the W, when the weather was still very nice. Everyone got free breakfast and we were upgraded to a huge suite. ^

We had our own car so the location wasn't a problem. Anyway there are always lots of taxis at the W and the LM. So maybe add up all the costs and decide. Personally I would choose the W if the stay is more than two nights. It is a much better hotel experience.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I've generally received exceptional benefits at the Le Meridien. It's a major reason I never even tried the W until last year, where I also was treated phenomenally. Have been upgraded to a suite (including enormous multi-room corner suites) probably two-thirds of the time staying at Le Meridien when Platinum. Yes, they still give the pass for the art museum. I've received different unique benefits at the LM depending on visit, such as an invitation to a private dance performance with only a dozen or so guests. There have been a couple times when I didn't get upgraded, though, so not 100%.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks guys. I don't hear a clear consensus to switch to the W at this time of the year. Since the W has opted out of the current promo while LM is in and I have weekend nights in my stay, I'm inclined to stick with LM, even though I always prefer to stay in Eixample when I come to Barcelona.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Thanks guys. I don't hear a clear consensus to switch to the W at this time of the year. Since the W has opted out of the current promo while LM is in and I have weekend nights in my stay, I'm inclined to stick with LM, even though I always prefer to stay in Eixample when I come to Barcelona.
What hotel in Eixample do you normally stay? (Obviously the LM is just a short walk to Eixample).

Because this property is so consistently inconsistent, you may or may not get:
- Glass of cava a check-in
- Passes to MACBA museum a short walk from the LM
- Tickets for 2 coffees at the Illy bar
- Your bathroom amenities changed to Hermès on the first night
- Some sort of chocolate or cheese treat delivered to your room with sparkling water.
- Pickpocketed on La Rambla
- A suite

In my dozen or so stays I have yet to be invited to paella.

The full breakfast buffet is very nice and a great amenity choice if staying more than a day.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: Free Agent
This is an excellent hotel right in the center of things for tourists. Just a few minutes from La Boqueria and metro stops. It was a 30 Euro cab ride from the airport, and I was upgraded to a Family Suite in the corner of the hotel, with a massive balcony complete with tables and chairs. The beds were two singles pushed together, with separate blankets. Bed was comfortable, but low for those that care. The bathroom was covered in a cool green/brown marble tile and the shower had a rainfall showerhead. Two small bottles of water were provided per day.

If you choose breakfast as your platinum amenity, you’ll get a full hot breakfast. Aside from the churros, breakfast is rather average, and nothing to write home about. Selections remained constant throughout my stay. The gym is located in the basement and is open 24/7. It’s a bit on the small size, and has the basics. As long as it’s not crowded, you’ll be fine. The hotel staff are friendly and speak fluent English. The concierges are super helpful as well. Can’t get much better than this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.