Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
There's some good information in this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=Athenee
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:22 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I got a reward for Cat. 2 (weekdays are 4000 pts, weekend nights are only 3000 points).

How is the executive lounge? Do they have a good spread for breakfast and evening canapes? Also, how is the area like surrounding the hotel? Is it close to any restaurant / shopping?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by Scott218
I got a reward for Cat. 2 (weekdays are 4000 pts, weekend nights are only 3000 points).

How is the executive lounge? Do they have a good spread for breakfast and evening canapes? Also, how is the area like surrounding the hotel? Is it close to any restaurant / shopping?
The hotel is located next to the Conrad on Wireless Road. I just spent 13 nights at the Conrad. There is a shopping center (Four Seasons Place...not really much there) attached to the Conrad. American Embassy compound across the street. It is about two blocks to Sukhumvit Road which is busy..but not really much to interest me.

I guess the location is person specific.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:13 am

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Excellent, thank you very much.

I wish, that the Banyan tree would still be a Westin, in that case I knew where to stay...
Old Apr 22, 2006, 8:58 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Just checked out after a 2 night stay.
Well the good:
As a platinum was upgraded to a suite on the 21st floor, it seems there are 3 suites per floor, all on the corners of the building with the 4th corner resereved for the service area.The room was enormous size consisting of 2 rooms with a very large standard living room area and TV, work desk, minibar etc. and half bath.Very comfortable indeed,aside from smaller flat screen TV 20".
The bedroom consisted of another small desk and TV ontop of amoir with storage area and a closet with plenty of racks, another storage area for luggage, well planned for those with alot of stuff.
The bathroom was very opulant and large,seperate bath and shower stall and some very nice toiletries (probably best of all the spg properties in BKK) with very good lighting.
The lounge located on the 26th floor was the biggest I've come across here in Thailand with 2 rooms one with a bar and the other where breakfast and canapes were served as well as afternoon tea.Also you will find meeting rooms on this floor and 3 computers and lounge attendant service desk.A very comfortable place to hang out in,where they also have 2 plasma TV's.
The breakfast was full american buffet with a cook waiting to prepare eggs. Decent selction for breakfast in a lounge, but not the selection one would find in a 5* hotel coffee shop buffet downstairs.
After 6PM had a good selection of drinks both hard and soft.

The bad:
First the bed was way too hard! No sweet sleeper here.Pillows that were very firm. By far the most uncomfortable of all the SPG properties in Thailand.
The lounge although very large had very weak assortment of canapes at night 6pm-8pm(cheese but no crackers, cold canapes that were meant to be served hot, and mislabeled small sandwhiches overdone with mayo).
The staff. Well,they say that one returns to a particular hotel because of the staff and how very at home they make you feel. I guess this decieding factor makes me never to return to the Plaza Athnee.All very stiff and ungiving of there time.As from the time I checked in, till when I left, I got the feeling they were all doing me a favor to stay. Aside from the 1 lounge supervisor who was a very informative and helpful aide I cannot say too much for this poorly,complacent trained staff.

Last edited by lovtofly3; Apr 22, 2006 at 9:08 am
Old Apr 22, 2006, 9:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lovtofly3
First the bed was way too hard!
I stayed at the LeMeridien Kota Kinabalu and the bed was the hardest I have slept on for a very long time.

Does anyone know whether LeMeridien have a standard bed specification for all their hotels ?
Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:58 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The beds at Le Meridien Montparnasse are also of very low quality.
Old May 5, 2006, 8:44 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Plaza Athenee Bangkok, Le Meridien

Staying here for 2 nights on an award, only 3000 points per night. Checkin at midnight and they had a huge suite held for me, 18th floor with a view of the Athenee Residences being constructed across the way. Breakfast at the Club Athenee Lounge, 26th floor was excellent, especially the made to order eggs, French toast and pancakes. Always like to try new places to stay and this one doesn't disappoint. I am used to staying at the Grand Hyatt Bangkok and love the place, but I could start splitting my stays between these two in the future. Just hope the spa/pool/fitness center are as nice as GH. More later.
Old May 5, 2006, 9:52 pm
JMR

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
Originally Posted by rbAA
Checkin at midnight and they had a huge suite held for me,
Thanks for the report.

Given the midnight check-in, Did you reserve for the day before you arrived (a late check in) or the day you did arrive (an early check in)?

I'm flying into BKK for a few days before flying to Phuket for the Holiday Inn. I'm on the NW flight the lands midnight-ish and was planning on doing a reward stay at Athenee, but hate the idea of burning points for a half-night.
Old May 6, 2006, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
There has been som additional discussion of this property in this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555444
Old May 6, 2006, 8:00 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Reservation was for the night of the 5th, so a little wasteful, but I had been flying for about 2 days straight. GH BKK fitness and pool are still the best, but very good PLT treatment here.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:25 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Any info on Gold treatment?

Any Golds with update on any gold benefits provided at this property? I am debating trying this property out due to the location and the very low points required for an award.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Assume OP is a Plat to have received a suite/club upgrade on a 3K award night stay.

As for the date booked, it would be expected that one books the "day before" arrival if you get in past midnight. Otherwise, an "early arrival" would not likley be granted. It is the custom in this part of the world when numerous flights from NAmerica arrive between 11:30p and 12:30a that one books the date as if you arrived earlier in the day.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 5:07 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Assume OP is a Plat to have received a suite/club upgrade on a 3K award night stay.

As for the date booked, it would be expected that one books the "day before" arrival if you get in past midnight. Otherwise, an "early arrival" would not likley be granted. It is the custom in this part of the world when numerous flights from NAmerica arrive between 11:30p and 12:30a that one books the date as if you arrived earlier in the day.
I think individual hotels have some discretion in these matters. A couple months ago I flew into BKK from India (got to the WGS desk at 4am) and they were persuaded to let me count this as an "early" (waaaaaaay early) check-in. One more reason I like the WGS! ^
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder

Actually, flew in from SIN on AY, so very late arrival and didn't feel the need, since only 3000 points per night, to try "early arrival" for the stay. And yes, PLT on *wood, so that may explain the suite UPG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.