Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Concierge email address: [email protected]

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from March 2018 including description of Table 55 at the King Cole Bar:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ular-stay-2408
Print Wikipost

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is a property that sparks widely differing opinions. After my weekend award stay, I am squarely in the "overrated" camp.

Arrival was disappointing. I pulled up in an Uber black. Doorman walked up, made eye contact, and . . . kept going. My driver pulled the bags out of the back, and I carried them up the stairs and all the way to check-in. Door staff here are simply awful. I was not greeted once the entire stay. St. Regis should send management to the Langham to see how a 5* front door is run.

Check-in area is very small and crowded. Desk is never staffed with more than two agents. This is insufficient. There is often a wait.

I won't repeat all my issues with room assignment. I did ultimately wind up in a St. Regis Suite. Details here and here. Suffice it to say that I was less than thrilled with how this was all handled.

The suite was spacious and quiet. Seventh floor, so no views, but there was natural light. As with several other of the older NYC properties, the suite layout is inefficient. Lots of hallways and connecting space, very little closet. Two full bathrooms - one had a shower, the other had a bathtub. Both had maintenance issues. The shower stall had a window that didn't seal properly, allowing blasts of cold winter air. The tub would not seal, and was essentially self-draining. If I'd paid $2k+ for the suite, I would not have been happy. Suite was otherwise in fine condition. The HVAC was particularly robust.

While I prefer staying downtown, the location worked well for me. Ran the park both mornings. Easy walk to Bloomingdales.

Butler service was a bright spot in a sea of service fails. My pages were consistently returned in less than a minute, and the butlers (all women, interestingly) could not have been nicer or more helpful.

Breakfast benefit is generous (American breakfast, or a $46 per person credit), but I found the food bland and unexceptional. I had a disappointing room service experience. Food was 20 minutes late, and my filet - ordered medium rare - arrived well done (literally gray in the middle). I sent it back. Second try was still overcooked, but better than the first.

Requested and was reluctantly given a 3 pm checkout. At 1 pm, one of the housekeeping managers did a "knock and walk." I told her I did not appreciate the absence of pause between knock and walk. She said, "you have a noon check-out, I expected the room to be empty." I suggested that if she were to check her list she would see I have a 3 pm check-out.

At check-out, the FDA was nice enough, but did not offer me a print of my bill, just an emailed copy. I asked to see a print. Glad I did, as they had charged me in full for both of my breakfasts (one at an astonishing $84 for bagel with salmon, juice, and coffee).

The multiple service fails I experienced in just two days would have been unsatisfactory at a much lesser property. I found them simply inexcusable at a purported five star. I felt more welcomed at the RI Downtown/World Trade Center where I spent Friday night.

At 60k points, there's no question I got very good value, and the butler service was a bright spot. But I will not return. Instead, I'll likely return to FHR'ing most of my NYC stays. Langham is a little cheaper than SR, and light years ahead in service.
My experience has also been less than stellar.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aventine
Yikes. Will you let these service failures go or see how Marriott Bonvoy responds with service recovery?
Let it go. At 60k points, I still got a good deal. Will probably leave an honest TA review.
EuropeanPete and Aventine like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:49 pm

My wife and I had a phenomenal award stay here recently. As our room wasn’t ready when we got in that morning we dropped our bags and they let us grab our 2 tickets to moMA which are included in the destination fee. It was a Friday night and as a platinum, we were upgraded to a St Regis Suite which had a full living room and a 2nd bath, which was available to us before 3 per a phone call from the front desk.

The room was fantastic and the butler service was great. When we left for dinner, they left a full bottle of Veuve and chocolate covered strawberries as we were celebrating our anniversary there. The platinum breakfast was offered either in the restaurant or as room service (god for pretty much any 2 entrees including tip and fees). Having room service the next morning in such a great room was a real treat. Can’t wait to return!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Notenoughfuntravel
My wife and I had a phenomenal award stay here recently. As our room wasn’t ready when we got in that morning we dropped our bags and they let us grab our 2 tickets to moMA which are included in the destination fee. It was a Friday night and as a platinum, we were upgraded to a St Regis Suite which had a full living room and a 2nd bath, which was available to us before 3 per a phone call from the front desk.

The room was fantastic and the butler service was great. When we left for dinner, they left a full bottle of Veuve and chocolate covered strawberries as we were celebrating our anniversary there. The platinum breakfast was offered either in the restaurant or as room service (god for pretty much any 2 entrees including tip and fees). Having room service the next morning in such a great room was a real treat. Can’t wait to return!
That was a phenomenal stay and an award stay at that!

Also, welcome to FT...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Thinking of applying a SNA here. Seems Totanium are often upgraded to suites here?

Anyone gotten an SNA confirmed for a Deluxe Suite?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Thinking of applying a SNA here. Seems Totanium are often upgraded to suites here?

Anyone gotten an SNA confirmed for a Deluxe Suite?
I have an award stay coming up this weekend and my SNA has cleared into a deluxe suite.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by Notenoughfuntravel
My wife and I had a phenomenal award stay here recently.
Welcome to FT, notenoughfuntravel!
Originally Posted by ryan727
I have an award stay coming up this weekend and my SNA has cleared into a deluxe suite.
​​​​And ryan727, you don't say a lot, but wait for when it counts!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:20 am

So.. perhaps a stupid question, but the "destination fee" that is paid, which includes a $50 F/B credit, does it need to be used on the actual day or can it be used next day? I realise they don't roll over, but in my case I'm there March 9-11, but I arrive at like 10 pm on the 9th. Would I be able to use the credits from the 9th also during the 10th (a 24 hour period), or is it only on the day of?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
So.. perhaps a stupid question, but the "destination fee" that is paid, which includes a $50 F/B credit, does it need to be used on the actual day or can it be used next day? I realise they don't roll over, but in my case I'm there March 9-11, but I arrive at like 10 pm on the 9th. Would I be able to use the credits from the 9th also during the 10th (a 24 hour period), or is it only on the day of?
They told me it was flexible, and that you could choose to start it either day of arrival or the next.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
They told me it was flexible, and that you could choose to start it either day of arrival or the next.
This is good to hear as I'll be staying three nights, but my flight isn't supposed to arrive until 11:30PM. Will almost certainly arrive after midnight
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Just want to follow up regarding the credits

Plane landed a little late around 11:30 PM so I decided not to risk it and checked in over the app. This was my first time doing so and to my surprise, was upgraded instantly to a Fifth Avenue suite from an Astor Suite

We arrived around 1AM and the check in desk noted they would credit me double on the last day. At check out the hotel had in fact taken care of all the credits correctly and I didn't have any issue.

Overall the experience was fantastic and would definitely come back.

​​​​
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:47 am

Arriving at the hotel tonight.

SNA did not clear.

St Regis Suite, Fifth Avenue and Grand Suites available. What are the odds of me actually being able to get one of those? I asked in the chat and they said they don’t have any “eligible suites” available
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold,VS, BA.
Just returned from an excellent 5 night stay as part of my honeymoon at this property - booked back when it was 60k/night with 5th night free.

Upgraded to a Grand Luxe (supposedly bigger, but pictures looked very similar online) with a nice bottle of Veuve waiting for us. Butler service was good for fresh coffee every morning as well as very helpfully unpacking our rather large bags on the first night. Probably the first time we've ever 'fully' unpacked in a hotels cupboards/hangers before - great for getting ready in the evenings and not feeling like living out of a suitcase.

Interestingly, and this might be very YMMY Vs. official policy but when checking in they said that as we were staying for 5 nights they had the ability to waive the $50/night destination fee (on stays of "more than 4 nights") which we were quick to accept. As a result, while we didn't spend any time in the King Cole Bar - did free up an extra $250 to splash out a bit more in the city.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:44 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingChris47

Interestingly, and this might be very YMMY Vs. official policy but when checking in they said that as we were staying for 5 nights they had the ability to waive the $50/night destination fee (on stays of "more than 4 nights") which we were quick to accept. As a result, while we didn't spend any time in the King Cole Bar - did free up an extra $250 to splash out a bit more in the city.
Hmmm. When we had 5 nights there in March 2018 they definitely did not mention this. We actually had booked before the fee was instituted and would have been exempt if we had pressed it, but we decided we would come out ahead.

We will be there in a few weeks for another 5 night stay — will report back on whether they offer to waive for us.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I received the offer to waive as well on a 5-night stay earlier this month. I actually turned down the offer to waive, as the $50 King Cole Bar + $50 laundry credit had more value to me than a $50 outlay.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.