Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Koh Samui, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Koh Samui, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this place from recent times?

Torn between this, or going to the Hyatt/Intercontinental in Hua Hin.

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:27 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Which Marriott in Koh Samui

Hey all,

We've got 3 nights coming up in Koh Samui at the end of next week. Currently at the W, but honestly, I've had a real struggle finding any conviction between which property to choose (chose the W because those circular sofas in the water were on my youthful bucket list). I've read some mediocre reviews of the W, some slightly underwhelming reviews of Vana Belle, and likewise with the hard-product at RC (although from when it was just opening, so may not be up-to-date). As a Titanium, I know I don't get breakfast at RC, which I'm taking into account.

It's just my wife and I, looking to hang out and chill for a few days, somewhere pretty spectacular. Nothing too dramatic, and not intending to apply any SNAs or pay for an upgrade (relying on Tit upgrade if I get lucky).

Anyone been to all 3 of these and have a strong conviction on which is best? It's not too late to switch my reservation, and I know I really should have done this work before! I've read all the individual threads, but really looking for some recent experiences across all 3.

Cheers,
JK
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've stayed at W and VB. IMO VB is better. The location is a particular advantage right now with all the road construction west of the airport.

The one advantage of W is it's close (10 minute drive) to Mae Nam which has a fantastic homestyle Thai place (Ma-Yom). Phensiri, near Vana Belle, I would no longer recommend.

I wouldn't stay at RC based on what I've read.
EuropeanPete and JK like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Stayed at W and Vana Belle 3 times each. RC once for just 1 night.

personally i prefer W to the others.

Im gonna give RC another try again next month for 3 nights just to experience it little longer.

interestingly, I found that RC can be BRGed easier than the other two. So it makes more sense to stay there.

note that, if this policy still intact, all cash rate at RC also got you breakfast for 2 regardless of elite status.

JK likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by JK
Hey all,

We've got 3 nights coming up in Koh Samui at the end of next week. Currently at the W, but honestly, I've had a real struggle finding any conviction between which property to choose (chose the W because those circular sofas in the water were on my youthful bucket list). I've read some mediocre reviews of the W, some slightly underwhelming reviews of Vana Belle, and likewise with the hard-product at RC (although from when it was just opening, so may not be up-to-date). As a Titanium, I know I don't get breakfast at RC, which I'm taking into account.

It's just my wife and I, looking to hang out and chill for a few days, somewhere pretty spectacular. Nothing too dramatic, and not intending to apply any SNAs or pay for an upgrade (relying on Tit upgrade if I get lucky).

Anyone been to all 3 of these and have a strong conviction on which is best? It's not too late to switch my reservation, and I know I really should have done this work before! I've read all the individual threads, but really looking for some recent experiences across all 3.

Cheers,
JK
Mediocre reviews of Vana Belle? Really? As Titanium, it's likely you'll get upgraded and the breakfast is amazing. Order a half dozen of those french oysters and whatever else you want off the expanded menu. Relax all day in your private pool.

-David
ung1 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
the breakfast is amazing.
It's my overall favorite breakfast anywhere.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
Originally Posted by JK
Hey all,

Cheers,
JK
which one did you end up staying at? I'm in the exact same predicament for a trip later this year.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:29 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
We ended up at Vana Belle. Service was great, as was the room (we were upgraded to a very nice suite). I did feel the property wasn't frankly what I'd expect of a Category 8 property. It lacked some finesse and finishing touches, that you might find at an RC or StR. It did not feel luxurious. Would I want to stay there again? Probably not. The beach was nice, pool area, food etc all adequate. The spa was poor - to the extent we didn't bother using it. It's a tiny reception desk, that leads to 4 treatment rooms - none of which were anything amazing (again, for a Cat 8 property at this price).

If anything, when I asked the cab drivers which were the nicest hotels in town, the ones that kept coming back were Four Seasons (natch) and the RC! So there was some remorse that we didn't just go with the RC after all. (I often feel fantastic service and communal areas can cover slightly for a poor hard-product).

I think our problem was that we'd just come from Japan, and had been spoiled at 2 fantastic properties - so perhaps nothing in Koh Samui was going to live up to that.

I will add - our butler at VB was absolutely fantastic. He couldn't have been any more helpful or responsive to every need! As was the very friendly Dutch F&B Manager, who we enjoyed bumping into several times. He makes a mean Aperol Spritz!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by JK
We ended up at Vana Belle. Service was great, as was the room (we were upgraded to a very nice suite). I did feel the property wasn't frankly what I'd expect of a Category 8 property. It lacked some finesse and finishing touches, that you might find at an RC or StR. It did not feel luxurious. Would I want to stay there again? Probably not. The beach was nice, pool area, food etc all adequate. The spa was poor - to the extent we didn't bother using it. It's a tiny reception desk, that leads to 4 treatment rooms - none of which were anything amazing (again, for a Cat 8 property at this price).

If anything, when I asked the cab drivers which were the nicest hotels in town, the ones that kept coming back were Four Seasons (natch) and the RC! So there was some remorse that we didn't just go with the RC after all. (I often feel fantastic service and communal areas can cover slightly for a poor hard-product).

I think our problem was that we'd just come from Japan, and had been spoiled at 2 fantastic properties - so perhaps nothing in Koh Samui was going to live up to that.

I will add - our butler at VB was absolutely fantastic. He couldn't have been any more helpful or responsive to every need! As was the very friendly Dutch F&B Manager, who we enjoyed bumping into several times. He makes a mean Aperol Spritz!
Echo your thoughts. Didn't feel luxurious and didn't understand why it is a Cat 8. We had a pretty good price, at which I would be happy to return (and an upgrade several categories above), but would not pay what seemed like almost double to book a sea view room when not on offer. I thought the spa was actually OK considering the prices (the massage on the beach was pretty poor) - stayed at St Regis BKK after that and spa prices were 2-3x. Food was good, especially breakfast, and service was nice but not great (we had come from the FS in Chiang Mai so hard to beat).
JK likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:16 am

VB and W are both IMO overpriced at Cat. 8. I believe it's legacy overpricing from the SPG era. RC is still a 7, even though cash rates are very similar to VB and W.

Cash rates at VB are considerably lower (and I mean a lot lower) than somewhere like 4S or Banyan Tree. I don't think anyone who's familiar with the properties would claim it's in the same class as those places.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
VB and W are both IMO overpriced at Cat. 8. I believe it's legacy overpricing from the SPG era. RC is still a 7, even though cash rates are very similar to VB and W.

Cash rates at VB are considerably lower (and I mean a lot lower) than somewhere like 4S or Banyan Tree. I don't think anyone who's familiar with the properties would claim it's in the same class as those places.
At entry level yes. But FS is all villas if I remember correct, and the beach villas at VB are not that far off from FS prices. VB does have a great beach - and I had read before going that RC, W, FS etc did not have the same quality of beach.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by ung1
At entry level yes. But FS is all villas if I remember correct, and the beach villas at VB are not that far off from FS prices.
Villas at VB are typically in the 25-30k THB range (just slightly higher than Grand Pool Suite). FS is well over 50k.
Originally Posted by ung1
VB does have a great beach - and I had read before going that RC, W, FS etc did not have the same quality of beach.
It's a nice beach but I would not call it "great." Unfortunately, they've imported coarse industrial sand, just like the W. You can see the color differential from the natural white sand.

I recently stayed at The Surin Phuket (and am returning next week). That's a great beach.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Villas at VB are typically in the 25-30k THB range (just slightly higher than Grand Pool Suite). FS is well over 50k.

It's a nice beach but I would not call it "great." Unfortunately, they've imported coarse industrial sand, just like the W. You can see the color differential from the natural white sand.

I recently stayed at The Surin Phuket (and am returning next week). That's a great beach.
This is seasonal of course, but 3 nights at the end of this month - villas at FS start at 23k ++ whereas a Tropical pool villa at VB is 23k ++. There are of course lower cats at VB whereas at FS that is entry level. If not booking the entry level at VB for 9k and getting upgraded as an elite, you're looking at at least 14k unless you want to look at vegetation and a footpath, and then the diff to the FS gets much smaller.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I just booked the Library for a 4 night stay next year. Kept going back and forth between that and the VB. The ability to easily into town is just too appealing to me. Hope I did not make a mistake here!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by uscjeff
I just booked the Library for a 4 night stay next year. Kept going back and forth between that and the VB. The ability to easily into town is just too appealing to me. Hope I did not make a mistake here!
It's a very cool hotel, much more part of the rest of Koh Samui than the VB - which sounds like what you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.