Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Koh Samui, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Koh Samui, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:46 am

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
Originally Posted by johnaalex

BTW Dr Frogs is, or at least used to be, a great place to eat.
Still is
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Why, as a resort you have no entitlement to it:

Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Breakfast
Help yourself to light snacks, beverages and complimentary continental breakfast in our Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge at participating JW Marriott Hotels, the Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels and Marriott Hotels & Resorts. If your hotel doesn’t have a Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge, we invite you to enjoy complimentary continental breakfast on your weekday stays. Outside the U.S. and Canada, you are entitled to continental breakfast 7 days a week. (Not available at resort locations.)

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...ts/platinum.mi
Because Asian resorts and hotels give Bfst for two regardless. It's an unwritten benefit
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM / DM, Avis First, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Maybe I am just exceptionally good looking, but we spent eight nights here in December, 2011. When we checked in, we were told, as a Platinum, that free breakfast was included in our rate -- even on an award. Didn't have to ask, and didn't pay.

Upgraded to a great room -- Lamai Suite on the sixth floor of the hotel building across the road. BIG, with views of Lamai beach that stretched 215 degrees. Since we wanted sun, and most of the pool villas are heavily shaded, worked out fine for us. YMMV.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
When we checked in they offered us a pool villa. We asked about the seaview suites and, after a phone call, agreed to show us both and let us choose. The choice, it turns out, was pretty easy. The seaviews from the 6th floor Lamai Suite were stunning - you could see more than 270 degrees from various points in the room. It was a large room, too, though I suspect that the 113 sq meter estimate includes the balcony. The pool villa looked very nice too, but not as private as I would have liked. The beachfront villas would be even better, since you can see the ocean, but the view would not compare to the 6th floor Lamai Suite (which is really more like the 9th floor, because you have to climb to the get the elevator).

The only knock on the Lamai Suite, and perhaps all the rooms in that tower, is that someone has a rooster nearby who loves to celebrate mornings. Sleep was a bit of a challenge. Another thing: you have to guard your leftovers from the maid. She dumped our leftovers, neatly wrapped in plastic, from a barely touched dish that the restaurant said was worth 470 baht. I suppose she figures that anyone who can afford to stay in the suite would certainly only eat food that was freshly cooked.

I don't know whether plats get breakfast because it was already included in our rate. But they did us two coupons for free drinks at the restaurant (2 X 2 people, so 4 total). The restaurant had the typical resort prices we've come to expect, but at least the food was pretty good (especially breakfast) and the service was great. The service was great all-around, in fact, and really added to our enjoyment of the resort.

As noted previously, there is a lap pool uphill and an infinity pool near the beach. Both are nice, but not expansive, since it's not a large resort. The beach itself is not great for swimming.

There are free shuttles to Lamai and Chawaeng beach twice a day, which worked quite well for us. There's also a few restaurants in walking distance of the hotel.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
This prop has blown hot & cold, providing brekkie to gold/plats, then not (although most asian hotels do, this prop seems to have opted for the "resort" term and opted out of this previous benees)............. haven't stayed in about 6-months so can't say which way the wind is currently blowing........

Originally Posted by BigE
I don't know whether plats get breakfast because it was already included in our rate.

Last edited by BKKLEE; Jul 8, 2012 at 3:42 am
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:28 pm

restaurant comments

We made a reservation for 7:30 pm for a special "Taste of Thai".. the dinner started serving at 7:00 but found that most of the food was gone by the time we got there and did not get replenished Claiming it was a "Taste of Thai" was a misnomer. The food hardly tasted like traditional Thai food. Each dish was bland and uneventful. I can only assume the restaurant used no spice because of the foreigners. For another evening meal we took a cab to a local restaurant and had a far superior meal for 1/3 the price.
As far as any comp's we got the coupon for "2" complimentary cocktails with dinner however what they don't say is that it is only good for a selected 3 drinks quoted to you by the host. All I wanted was a beer or glass of wine but so sorry, I could only choose one of their foo- foo drinks.
Overall not impressed but others may enjoy.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
The villas are nice (been there again last christmas) and recently renovated. Status recognition in the property is about zero though. Asked for discounts for f&b and/or free drinks (referring to JW Khao Lak) but no way.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:18 pm

Was thinking about staying here in June but after reading some of the posts, now I'm re-thinking going to Koh Samui all-together. We thought it would be a great place since I've read it's more "tropical" than Hua Hin, and wouldn't be impacted by the impending monsoon season...

That being said, would you guys recommend another great beach area in Thailand for June?

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by dmvflyer
Was thinking about staying here in June but after reading some of the posts, now I'm re-thinking going to Koh Samui all-together. We thought it would be a great place since I've read it's more "tropical" than Hua Hin, and wouldn't be impacted by the impending monsoon season...

That being said, would you guys recommend another great beach area in Thailand for June?

Thanks!
maybe Koh Chang?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chris26WI
maybe Koh Chang?
There really are no great beaches during June in Thailand....but on the other hand, I love those parts of the world during times when no tourists show up. Koh Samui is overrated, overbuilt and a mess. I would go to Rayong, Koh Chang, or Khao Lak.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest
There really are no great beaches during June in Thailand....but on the other hand, I love those parts of the world during times when no tourists show up. Koh Samui is overrated, overbuilt and a mess. I would go to Rayong, Koh Chang, or Khao Lak.
Would the weather in Koh Chang in June be similarly unpredictably like Phuket etc? i.e., monsoon season coming?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dmvflyer
Would the weather in Koh Chang in June be similarly unpredictably like Phuket etc? i.e., monsoon season coming?
Yes, monsoon season is everywhere in the subtropical regions from india to philippines. But actually, most days it just rains for an hour or two in the evening, and the rest of day is fine. Overcast skies mean less sunburn, but more humidity. Also, seas are rough, which is rustic, but not safe for swimming (due to undercurrent as well as all sorts of "crap" washing up on the beach...I got serious sick one year from that).

I think there is nothing wrong with travelling in June, but you have to just be prepared. Also, jungle walks are out...waterfalls and rivers turn into torrents which can't be navigated, and leaches abound.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:58 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Just back from 7 nights here and here are my views plus a couple of data points.

Nice resort, fairly compact, the only place it felt busy was the beach - there again it was high season! The management are very proactive, approachable and friendly - chatted to all guests most mornings.

Beach - as has been mentioned the beach is small. However, it was fine for us, and whilst there is some coral and shells, you don't need protective footwear. Sea was extremely calm and is protected by a reef further out so no jellyfish to contend with as elsewhere in Thailand! The tide is seasonal and I understand the tide goes much further out in the Summer - no problems this week though.

Pools - 2 pools, the main one with a splash area for kids by the beach, and an enormous lap pool (50 meters or so) called Lalawadee at the back of the hotel. This pool was excellent for a bit of peace and quiet. The swim up bar is no longer operational as no-one was using it. You may phone from here to order food and drinks. Menus on the umbrellas.

Bars - There is a Beach bar and a Tapas bar. Happy hour at the Beach bar is 5-7pm, happy hour at Tapas Bar is 9-10pm. We were given a couple of drink vouchers which were for a cocktail of their choice with dinner one evening. A bottle of Singha is Thb 150 at standard price.

Restaurants. There are 2 restaurants - "Banana Leaf" and "TawaNN" - we didn't try the latter as it is more of a fine dining experience but supposed to be good.

Banana Leaf has been re-furbished in the last 2 weeks and is where breakfast was. Breakfast was free for this Gold and kids. We ate in Banana Leaf and a good selection of local and International dishes, and not overly expensive either. Nasi Goreng was excellent!

Library - there is a small library adjacent to the Tapas bar with an internet station. There is wifi throughout the resort.

Rooms - we booked and received a Deluxe sea view room - room was what was expected. All these rooms have a Whirlpool bath on the balcony. The mattress was a bit hard for my liking but overall no complaints. I have no idea what the pool villas are like, but they didn't look very private as they are right beside the main pool area.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, Hyatt Discoverist (ex CC), Marriott Titanium, Miles& More Senator
Stayed at the property for a week, in a pool villa. Normal rooms were closed for reservations so property was quite empty. Service was good, great staff! Pool villa is a bit misleading as its more like an oversized foot bath, but room was great!

Food was ok, good bfast, but Thai signature restaurant a bit disappointing especially on their seafood special night! Quality of the seafood was pretty poor and absolutely tasteless.

Overall experience positive though and a relaxing week!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.