Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Koh Samui, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Koh Samui, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
any more info on this place? looks beautiful from the website!
Old May 2, 2011, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
any more info on this place? looks beautiful from the website!
It is really a challenge to use the SEARCH-function. There are at least three threads about this property here on FT.
Old May 2, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by holtju2
It is really a challenge to use the SEARCH-function. There are at least three threads about this property here on FT.
Thanks, Mr. Sunshine! Post-count++?

I actually found this thread using search. There are only two threads dedicated to the Renaissance, and one was started in 2006. This one was started in 2011. I thought I would post to see if there were any recent trip reports. Pardon the heck out of me!
Old May 2, 2011, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Thanks, Mr. Sunshine! Post-count++?

I actually found this thread using search. There are only two threads dedicated to the Renaissance, and one was started in 2006. This one was started in 2011. I thought I would post to see if there were any recent trip reports. Pardon the heck out of me!
Sorry but I don't play or have any need for post counting games.

Unfortunately the Marriott forum is one of the most unorganized hotel ones here on FT.
Old May 3, 2011, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Ok, so here are my opinions on the properties in Thailand's beach paradise:

1) Renaissance Samui. Nice property, but the hotel rooms are less than average and not nicely arranged. The beach villas are nice, but not 5 star. The pool is well designed. The beach is basically non existent (maybe the water was high on my trip, but I had barely 10 feet of beach outside the pool wall). The electricity supply is rather spotty on Samui island and therefore you hear the generators humming away quite frequently (as in sometimes multiple times per night). Samui as a travel destination (to me) is not really what it's advertised to be. Overcrowded, dirty and remote, but not serene.

2) Renaissance Phuket. I love this place. Nice food, great layout, nice design. However, the pool is a joke. Then again, you can catch the hotel shuttle and hang out at the JW Marriott Pools down the road. Mai Khao beach is really a great place to vacation. Even with the extra hotels they built there, it's still quiet, safe, and still close enough to get around Phuket (especially if you have a car rental, which I highly recommend in Phuket) Their pool villas are fantastic, and during offseason they are eager to upgrade their Platinum (Premier) guests from the regular rooms. This makes for an excellent couples resort.

3) JW Marriott Phuket. This is an all-encompassing upmarket mass tourism resort. It can feel quiet enough at times, but often the pools are crowded with vacation club guests. The addition of their Turtle Village shops is a bonus, as there isn't much else around within walking distance. I think the rooms are nicely done, and there is no need for a rollaway if you bring an extra kid or two, because they have little alcoves (niches) with thai-style futons. The food offerings are fine, but breakfast, as noted by another poster here, has gone down somewhat in quality and selection. Then again, it still compares favorably to any Ritz Carlton elsewhere. So nothing really to complain about. The property has 3 large pools, and beach activities, such as diving and sailing. I think this is the best place to go to with kids.

4) JW Marriott Khao Lak. If you want peace and quiet, this is the place to be. Ask for an upgrade to their duplex suite and it's like being in a little vacation villa. Their pool is amazing, snaking around the entire property and with a nicely done pool bar. They have a huge number of beach chairs and umbrellas on a nearly perfectly manicured white sand beach. I like the location because it's close to the jungle trails of Khao Sok national park, one of my favorite destinations in Thailand. Nothing better than coming back from a day of hard core jungle trecking and sinking into soft five-star bedding. Their breakfast buffet is very nicely laid out. They have three decent restaurants onsite, as well, and there is a small bar which offers free drinks to Gold and Platinums for a couple of hours every night. It's best to rent a car at Phuket airport (if arriving there by air), in my opinion. Otherwise, the hotel has comfortable shuttle vans at a reasonable cost. The only downside here is that it's full of Germans (I am not prejudice, but being German myself, I prefer to vacation without too many of them).

5) Pattaya Marriott Resort
Ok, forget anything you heard about Pattaya, book the Garden Terrace Suite and just relax. That's all I can say. This property has one of the most amazing tropical gardens you ever will see in the middle of a city. The staff is super friendly, they have a great executive lounge, and it's an easy drive from Bangkok. There are lots of family friendly things to do in and around the city, and, well, lots of not so family friendly ones too... Forget the beach though. It's ok to sit on a chair and sip some fresh coconut, but I wouldn't touch the water with a barge pole. For those who love microbrews, Hopf is just down the street and also serves fantastic thin crust wood oven pizza. Don't rent jet skis, and beware of the lady-boys!

6) Hua Hin Marriott Resort
I am not a personal fan of Hua Hin, mostly because it's a long drive from Bangkok with lots of ridiculous traffic. In my books, if I have to drive there, I might as well keep going a few hours and go to Khao Lak.

7) Courtyards in Phuket
Great little places. Comfortable, reasonable food, good locations. Inexpensive. Most Courtyards in Asia compare well with full service Marriotts in North America.

All of the above properties offer free buffet to Golds and Plats, and all except the JW Marriott Phuket, are generous with their upgrades. To enhance any Marriott stay in Thailand, you would be well advised to have the Marriott Thailand Gold card. You have to order it through a local contact, either a Thai citizen or Expat with workpermit. It gives up to 50% discount on dining and preferred room rates. I have never met a frequent traveller to Marriotts in Thailand who does not use this card.

Overall, staying in Thailand hotels makes one never want to visit another property in North America or Europe (well, that's my opinion for what it's worth).

That said, beware of scams, as in any high-frequency tourist destination. Forget the Gem shops, don't get taken for high fares by the local taxi "mafia", take smiles from strangers trying to sell you something with a big grain of salt, but keep smiling yourself. To avoid skin cancer and/or looking like a boiled lobster, stay out of the sun between 10:30am and 4pm. It makes the trip so much more enjoyable and still gives you great color at the end of your week (or two, or three or six - if you are German!).

Have fun.

(I haven't really proof read this writeup...so I apologize in advance for any typos)
ARLT likes this.

Last edited by FlyerTalker683455; May 3, 2011 at 2:10 pm
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Koh Samui Marriott Resort & Spa at Laem Set Beach (2013)

Mentioned here http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-...06-903401.html

Does anyone know any more? I cant find anything..
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:49 am
Suspended

I am currently living on Ko Samui for a couple months, How long are you planing on staying for? I would figure out what you want to do then decide where you want to stay etc. Chaweng(busy, nightlife), Bophut (Family oriented quiet), or Choengmon areas which all have great beaches.

samui vacation villas
Old Jul 1, 2011, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Been there twice..... once as a gold and once as a plat............ breakfast provided both times

Originally Posted by TandJalliance
Does the Renaissance in Koh Samui give complimentary breakfast for platinum members? I would like to make a reservation but curious if I should purchase a rate with or with breakfast. Thank you.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Been there twice..... once as a gold and once as a plat............ breakfast provided both times
When was that? As of two weeks ago PLT did not get a free breakfast. I did, however, receive a villa upgrade. Will post a write up with photos when I have time.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
IIRC when I checked in (as a Plat) I asked in breakfast was included and was told it wasn't. So I politely complained and they changed their minds!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Has anyone ever stayed in the "One Bedroom Suite Sea View" of the Ren? I just know the standard-Deluxe rooms and the pool villas. There don't seem to be many of the regular suites i guess (in comparison to the pool villas). Photo of the suite on the hp looks a bit tiny for the indicated size of 111sqm
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Allvest
Ok, so here are my opinions on the properties in Thailand's beach paradise:

Have fun.

(I haven't really proof read this writeup...so I apologize in advance for any typos)
Really great reviews that pass well with my personal experience, including the recommendation to rent a car to go to JW KL, and the nice terrace suites at Marriott Patt (though not really suites.. used to be the "club terrace rooms" before the most recent refurnishments). I've found the lounge of the Marriott Patt to be disappointing, just a room with some chairs and TV, and forget about the continental breakfast there. Evening snacks and cockails very limited. - The Ren Phuket has really a terribly small pool... I'd only book it again in case of one of the pool villas at acceptable prices. And, yes, JW KL used to be full of German guests (Meier's Weltreisen), I agree . But well, could be worse ;-) (being German myself too).
Old Jan 14, 2012, 1:16 am

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
I'm here now. Room 104. Private pool, overlooks the main pool, overlooks the ocean. The beach isn't massive by any standards. AT high tide, waves will make it to your chair, at low tide there is maybe 20ish feet. Get some hard soled scuba shoes for the ocean, lots of coral and rocks.

Resort is nice, management is great.

Was told no free breakfast, but when I voiced a complaint they gave it to me as a Plat Premier.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by TooMuchTravel73
Was told no free breakfast, but when I voiced a complaint they gave it to me as a Plat Premier.
Yeah, when I stayed there about 3 years ago I was at Platinum level and had to complain to get to get free breakfasts for me and my wife for the duration of my stay Having said that the room we had was great ^.

BTW Dr Frogs is, or at least used to be, a great place to eat.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Why, as a resort you have no entitlement to it:

Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Breakfast
Help yourself to light snacks, beverages and complimentary continental breakfast in our Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge at participating JW Marriott Hotels, the Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels and Marriott Hotels & Resorts. If your hotel doesn’t have a Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge, we invite you to enjoy complimentary continental breakfast on your weekday stays. Outside the U.S. and Canada, you are entitled to continental breakfast 7 days a week. (Not available at resort locations.)

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...ts/platinum.mi

Originally Posted by TooMuchTravel73

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.