Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anchorage Sheraton [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We've got a Cash+Points reservation there on July 5. However, I can't see any other hotels that are even an option at that rate. As long as it's a nice bed, that's all we need.
That's how I feel about it at this time. I called the hotel and the front desk told me that lobby renovation is supposed to be done end of June, or it could be mid July. I was told that most of the rooms are renovated and that I should definitely be able to get renovated rooms (I didn't tell him my reservation information), the remainder will be worked on end of the year. I did tell the front desk agent that I am reading a lot of negative comments about the hotel. Hopefully he'll tell the general manager.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
Does anyone know when the "renovation" link on the SPG went up? Did it originally say May? I booked two C&P stays back in January for last week here and certainly don't remember seeing that special note about the hotel. Maybe it was there and said May...all I know is I probably would have booked elsewhere if I knew and I'm just trying to get answers.

When I walked in and saw the renovations I was shocked that I didn't know about this and really ticked the amenity I really wanted wasn't operational (hot tub). I see no mention of these renovations in my hotel confirmation emails (1/9/2008 and 1/25/2008).
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:59 am

Programs: UA/MAR
Ditto the rest of the comments from my stay there in the first week of June.

Lobby is tarp city, though I didn't spend enough time in it to sneeze.

Was upgraded (as gold) to a club floor room, and given club access. Breakfast in the club was nothing much, but good enough to keep us going until we hit a local lunch spot. (Cereal, mini-muffins, fruit, etc.) Room was renovated and comfy, though the TVs are 1980's era lodgenet style boxes.

Two biggest gripes: Our flight was late arriving, and the Avis counter was closed (who knew?) by the time we got there. Called hotel at 2:30 AM to ask about shuttle. "We have one that goes to downtown Anchorage, but not the airport." That seems really stupid to me, but whatever. Paid $25 for a cab, and $25 to go back to the airport the next morning to pick up the car. (Asked again the next morning about a ride to airport, no dice.)

Second, the business center is closed for renovations (or, at least it was). I asked about using a PC to check in for flights and print BPs, and the bellman/concierge offered to find me an Internet cafe!?! He said he would slip some info under my door. 20 minutes later there was a printout from google maps with several Cafes highlighted. If he had access to a PC and printer to google it, why couldn't he/they let me use it to check in? For that matter why not put a PC/printer on a folding card table in their lobby during construction?

All in all, it was a nice enough place, I got my points, and the heavenly bed was, well, heavenly. It's not that the staff are "bad" per se, just that they lack any imagination or ability to problem solve outside the box.

*Note that I was never in the hotel between 11AM and 3PM to witness the water shutoff, which was advertised on the lobby desk. Had I wanted to take a shower at noon I probably would have been right pissed.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:09 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by livitup
All in all, it was a nice enough place, I got my points, and the heavenly bed was, well, heavenly.
Surely you mean the Sweet Sleeper bed was,well, Sweet.

I stayed here a couple of weeks back for two nights. I received no upgrade as a Platinum member but was given access to the lounge.

Agree with most posters about this hotel it is one of the worst Sheratons I have spent time in. No one at the front desk pointed out the water 'issue' to me.
There was no 'bill under the door' on my final night and I had to ask at check-out in order to get a printed receipt.

It is not much of a Sheraton and an expensive one at that.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We stayed at the Sheraton Anchorage on Saturday night. The lobby is almost complete - only the fountain remains to be built - but there was no sign of the construction that seems to have plagued other people. This property is wonderful and you should have no qualms about staying there. Even though we have no SPG status, they upgraded us to the club floor on a points+cash award. It's a great location, with very nice, comfortable rooms and friendly (though somewhat shorthanded) staff.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:07 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I have now had an open file with Starwood about my complaints with this hotel for over 3 weeks, and Starwood cannot get the GM of the hotel to even ANSWER the corporate complaint file. I think I am going to open another thread about the complaint system itself, but this speaks VOLUMES for this property, when they feel that they just are not responsible for customer satisfaction at all.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
We just completed two stays at the Anchorage Sheraton on cash and points for two rooms each time. Both rooms were upgraded to junior suites with access to the Club Lounge on the first stay of 3 nights. The rooms were nicely appointed and large, with 42" LCD TV's. The finishes in the room were a bit rough around the edges, and the bath tub looked older than what a newly renovated room should have.

According to the floor plans, the Club room occupies the 2 rooms that would make up the 2 junior suites on each floor, xx15 and xx16, which would mean that the Club floor has no junior suites. The Club Lounge is open Sunday evening through Friday morning. Breakfast in the morning is minimal continental breakfast. Evening appetizers are decent. The Lounge is closed Friday evening through Sunday morning.

The second stay was for one night only, and we were upgraded to Club floor rooms. The Club rooms are quite nice for a domestic Sheraton, let alone being in Alaska. The rooms also had 42" LCD TV's and nicer bathrooms than the junior suites.

The lobby renovation was completed when we returned for the second stay. The renovated lobby looked quite nice and had a open staircase with Alaskan jade.

The guest services manager was very nice, addressing me by name every time she saw me in the hotel. I did not have any problem during the two stays. I would definitely return to this hotel if I get back to Anchorage.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:49 am

I was there last Friday night on cash and points and had a great stay, as well.

Nice room on the 13th floor and the bellhops were quite speedy with loads of stuff we had throw in storage for the night.

Would definitely stay there again--hopefully the earlier terrible reports during the bulk of the renovation are history?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:56 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
"upgraded" to oversize room at the Sheraton Anchorage. I do not recommend this property due to poor cleanliness and security issues.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 6, 2008 at 7:13 am Reason: copied over from plat upgrade thread
Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
The thread and news report on this incident might be worth a read if considering a stay at this property.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:57 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Forgot to add that the "lounge" is simply pathetic.. Have breakfast downstairs.
Old May 5, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Question Any updates?

I have a cash and points reservation next week, and I am getting very scared. The reviews on this site (and others) are almost universally bad. I am seriously thinking that I should just book at the Marriott.

Comments?
Old May 6, 2009, 9:55 pm

Programs: HH LTDiamond, Delta Diamond,UA 1K, *wood Platinum
I stay at this hotel a lot. My last stay was Apr 09 for 21 nights. It is a nice hotel, not luxury, have always been upgraded and I have never had any problems with the staff. All of the renovations are done, they have computers in the lobby that are free for guests. It is in the center of town.
Old May 9, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Booked with C & P for my parents prior to their cruise....arent a lot of options in this city, any recent reviews besides the one above me? Anything??

Appreciate it as always
Old May 11, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I stayed one night in March and was unimpressed. I had a helpful and friendly check-in agent but no upgrade, the room was hot (a/c didn't work) so had to open the window which resulted in lots of street noise. There was supposed to be a complimentary local shuttle service, but I was told it wasn't available during my stay. There was no complimentary water in the room.

Personally, I prefer the location of the Hilton to the Sheraton. Actually, I prefer all aspects of the Hilton to the Sheraton in Anchorage...

Sorry - I realize that doesn't help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.