Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anchorage Sheraton [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist
This is a really sad Sheraton, but I have been to ones that are worse. I realized that the lobby is being renovated and there was no gym, but the front desk was just so nonchalant about the fact that they were "sending people to the gym at the Captain Cook, but it's a bit away and $15 for the health club". The condition of the room was pretty sad, dingy bathroom, bad decor, I just felt like I was stuck in the 70s. I know that there aren't that many options of places to stay, but I ended up spending very little time in the room due to its condition, even though I too was on the Club Floor.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:04 pm

The club room was pretty sad - have no idea why they have not started remodeling from there. I stayed in it as well as on the remodeled 5th floor. The latter is much much nicer - even the corridor has the modern decor. However, the front desk is not well trained, they barely know what Starwood is let alone what benefits are granted to elite members. They also do not listen. I had easier time communicating in Japan than in Sheraton Anchorage. For example, when I asked for Shower Gel (for some reason they withhold it), I got a SHower Cap. And when I asked if our room will be serviced before leaving it around 1pm, they said did you order room service already, and then you are inquiring about shuttle SERVICE to the airport??!
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:09 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
This is rather sad... I last stayed there in June 07 (i.e., pre-remodelling). The place was very outdated, I thought I walked into a time-warp when I walked into the 'lounge'. I thought, 'was the food from the 50's too?' But then, half of Anchorage seems to be stuck in the 50's too...

However, the staff was always friendly. Did they get rid of all the old staff?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Sheraton ANC - Water Shutoff Daily, Major Renovations in Process, no notice?!

I booked a 3 night cash and points stay at the Sheraton Anchorage about 2 months ago for a stay June 7-10. I read all the confirmation emails I got from the hotel, called the property the night before I left to confirm, and was never expecting what I saw when I arrived. First of all, there was a sign on the front desk (makeshift desk, the regular one was covered floor to celing with a tarp) that all water will be shut off 11am-3pm in all rooms. Also, there were tons of construction material out and about (sheets of drywall, scafolding, tarps, etc). When I checked in, I inquired about getting a renovated room (since there was a sign when you entered saying some rooms were done) and was told after alot of conversation between the front desk reps that I was getting one. Needless to say, when I arrived at the room, it was CLEARLY not renovated. Because my SO and I had just flown 13 hours from JFK to ANC, I did not have the heart to go back down to the front desk at 2AM (6AM to my body) to argue. The next morning, we had to put in a wakeup call for 9am, just to make sure we could both shower and get ready before the water shutoff. At about 10am loud drilling and banging started, and the lobby was changed from a large atrium to barely enough room for one person to walk thru, as scafolding and tarps ruled. Basically, every day on my vacation, I had to wake up early so that I could do basic bathroom functions. Many other guests also complained about this in the elevators between themselves. Now, I realize I paid $45/night plus points for a room, but I still would have stayed somewhere else if I knew that this was the way I would be treated as a gold member, even just as any old hotel guest. I feel that with water shutoffs daily, and massive contruction, the hotel should have closed for a few weeks to get everything done without disrupting guests. I nedeed two more nights in ANC at the end of my trip, and you bet that I was NOT staying at the Sheraton, so the Spring Hill Suites got 2 nights of my business. Am I right to ask for compensation? I now know that ANC is getting a new Embassy Suites, it has 5 Marriott properties, and some nice independant properties, which are probably the reasons why the Sheraton is remodeling...I think I should at LEAST get my points back, if not more...thoughts?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 17, 2008 at 6:37 pm Reason: Moved into master thread where there are current posts on similar problems
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I just triple checked my final confirmation email, which I received the week before my stay, and this is all it warns me about:
Please note that the hotel will be receiving a new layer of exterior paint beginning July 23rd and lasting 4-6 weeks.
Thats not massive renovations.
I just checked the web site now, and the ONLY place you can see renovations mentioned is a small bullet point on the reservations screen only, where it says renovations should be finished in June...when I was there there were NOWHERE close to finished. I would be suprized if they were done by the end of Aug. From searching on FT I can see they warned about renovations finishing in May earlier this year...seems like a horribly managed renovation and hotel in general...
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:41 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by joelfreak
...Am I right to ask for compensation? <snip>...I think I should at LEAST get my points back, if not more...thoughts?
My apologies for the poor guest experience at this hotel. It never hurts to ask, so I would call Hotel Customer Service and make some inquiries. 800-328-6242.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
My apologies for the poor guest experience at this hotel. It never hurts to ask, so I would call Hotel Customer Service and make some inquiries. 800-328-6242.

[/email]
William,

I am scheduled to stay at the Sheraton ANC on July 2 for a few nights on a family vacation. What's the renovation schedule for this hotel?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:34 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by CIT85
William,

I am scheduled to stay at the Sheraton ANC on July 2 for a few nights on a family vacation. What's the renovation schedule for this hotel?
I wish I knew. Perhaps a call to Hotel Customer Service and asking them to make an inquiry on your behalf would be a good idea as well.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:42 pm

I'm certainly pumped for my stay on July 11!

Their "Announcement" on spg.com has been a constantly moving goal post of when the renovations will be complete.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I stayed there one night this month and I will never go back.

The website said the renovations were to be completed in May, then it moved to June, now......

From start to finish, I could not believe how bad it was. No business center, no fitness center, lobby filled with tarp. There was so much dust, I could not stop sneezing while in the hotel (I kid you not). Front staff were oblivious to a couple of questions, like, do you know the rates or phone # for an airport shuttle.

Supposedly, the rooms have all been redone, but I think the designer should have their license revoked. The bathroom had one of those curvy shower curtains, which is normally great, except the door would only open so far, and stopped right in front of the toilet.

Buyer beware, call and see what the schedule of reconstruction is before staying here. Normally, I am a big fan of the SPG hotels, but this one was the worst I have ever experienced!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by neuron

The website said the renovations were to be completed in May, then it moved to June, now......

From start to finish, I could not believe how bad it was. No business center, no fitness center, lobby filled with tarp. There was so much dust, I could not stop sneezing while in the hotel (I kid you not). Front staff were oblivious to a couple of questions, like, do you know the rates or phone # for an airport shuttle.

Supposedly, the rooms have all been redone, but I think the designer should have their license revoked. The bathroom had one of those curvy shower curtains, which is normally great, except the door would only open so far, and stopped right in front of the toilet.

Buyer beware, call and see what the schedule of reconstruction is before staying here. Normally, I am a big fan of the SPG hotels, but this one was the worst I have ever experienced!
I have to concur with this, as I stayed there a couple of weekends ago. The front desk had no idea about the basics of Anchorage and told me when I inquire about a fitness center that I could go to the Captain Cook for $15/day. One of the worst SPG hotels I've stayed in and I actually paid money to stay there. I came very close to cancelling my second night there and moving to a different hotel. I wouldn't recommend staying here.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by neuron
Somewhere...there is a Motel 6 that treats you with more respect than this joint
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:50 am

I avoid this hotel like the plague. I spend whatever the Captain Cook is charging to avoid this hellhole.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 3:57 pm

Love the reviews that are coming in! TripAdvisor totally echoes these, as well.

I now have a sick curiousity towards my stay there next month (a fairly quick overnight). And with cash/points it is reasonable enough--I'll definitely report back.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We've got a Cash+Points reservation there on July 5. However, I can't see any other hotels that are even an option at that rate. As long as it's a nice bed, that's all we need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.