Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:33 am

Programs: BA, Star Alliance
Cool Things to do ?

Jamie,

You won't be short of things to do. I would recommend getting a taxi to Leith Docks (about 20 minutes drive from the hotel) where you can go round the Royal Yacht Britania - it is very well presented and has won tourism awards. It gives real insight to the human side of royal life on the yacht.

If that is not your cup of tea, then the Castle is the good choice even if only for the view. You could combine with an open top bus tour of the city - one of those that you can hop on or off as you wish.

I also thought the Scottish National Portrait Gallery was good and free too.

Have fun - John
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:57 am

I've stayed in three different styles of suite in this hotel and I have to say the decription could be any of them.

They all have seperate bedrooms. One type is larger than the others with the lounge featuring a big dining table, useful possibly if you're having meeting with 8 people but pretty useless if you're own your own.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever one you end up with, enjoy your time in Edinburgh.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:47 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Unhappy

Just back from a one night stay with friends - 1 Paid room 1 Free (points) Room.

A few days before arrival the paid room was upgraded to a Deluxe Suite but this was taken away on the day of arrival. Upgrade to Castle view room given on the paid room. No upgrade on the free room.

Arrived at about 2pm and only one room was ready - the paid room. The 'points' room was unavailable until 6pm.

Given lounge access on the paid room but not on the free room.

When they brought up the key for the second room, the key packet contained no key! The porter who brought it suggested that I return to the Front Desk to get it. There was a queue of about 15 people and the check-in agent tried to persuade me to join the queue rather than getting me sorted.

The room was disappointing - damaged sink which had been glued back together. Mold around the bath grout.

The lounge was small and disappointing. Helpful staff but stale crisps and poor food selection.

Definetly a property beyond its sell by day in my view.

Last edited by Markie; Jun 26, 2006 at 11:47 pm Reason: expanding review
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat Elite, Continental Gold, bmi Silver, SPG Plat, HiltonDiamond
Edinburgh Sheraton

I stayed there two months ago and got upgraded to a fantastic suite with a castle view. The restaurant had excellent food and I made full use of the spa facilities.

If it is a castle view you want then I recommend The Balmoral Hotel but it is not a Starwood property.

The Edinburgh Sheraton hotel looks tired now but the service was excellent and my loyalty was rewarded with a fantastic room upgrade. This was my 5th stay here and I will definitely be back soon.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Thumbs up Very happy during my stay at the Edinburgh Grand

Stayed at the Edinburgh Grand Spa for 2 nights in June. Got an excellent rate that included breakfast and a cheese platter and bottle of wine on arrival ("Romance package" ). Arrived at about 11 am on a Sunday; room not ready. But we were assured that if we wanted to wander about they would call us on our cell phone when the room was ready. That was no problem especially as since it's easy to do a pleasant walk from there. Sure enough they called an hour and a bit later.

The room was tastefully decorated IMO and very light with plenty of space for a sofa and coffee table. It was very nice for a standard room, I thought, and it overlooked a deserted square and an elaborate if hygienic-looking modern office block. The windows could open to let in fresh air! ^ The cheese and wine were brought without having to ask. (Made a nice snack while we watched some Wimbledon tennis on TV.)

During our stay we ate a supper in the lounge and the food was good. But the service was top notch. The very young Polish gent who served us could not have been more efficient or thoughtful. This level of service was echoed by the help the concierge desk gave us in finding a restaurant (but make sure it's one of the locals you ask) and the assistance at the front desk.

The breakfast spread was very good but the service struggled to keep up when the restaurant got busy. Possibly the only real glitch was that the room internet didn't work and they couldn't fix it but we were advised to use the business centre as it was cheaper anyway.

We used the pool and took the 20GBP offer of use of the thermal spa. That included a heated indoor/outdoor spa pool and a bewildering, but very enjoyable, array of wet or dry hot rooms. The whole spa area is very spacious and grand in a hyper-modern way. Most enjoyable physically and aesthetically.

This was my first stay in a *wood property since joining SPG. And I have to say I was impressed. As a no-status nobody I got excellent value for money, and the service from a very, very young staff was impeccable and personable. I applaud the management!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 3:32 am

sheraton edinburgh..stays in 2007?

I am looking for feedback on the suites in Sheraton Edinburgh. I have seen mixed reviews but none in a year.I can get one for 190 pounds with SPG 50.
I am trying to decide if I should stay at The Balmoral or The Scotsman instead. Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 4:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by skymutt
I am looking for feedback on the suites in Sheraton Edinburgh. I have seen mixed reviews but none in a year.I can get one for 190 pounds with SPG 50.
I am trying to decide if I should stay at The Balmoral or The Scotsman instead. Thanks!
I don't know the other hotels from first hand experience, but I have a very high opinion of the Sheraton in Edinburgh. Golds and Plats get treated very well (subject to availability of course), early check-ins haven't been a problem. Rooms on the whole are nice enough and the junior suites upwards are pretty spacious and well appointed. Not the best suites by any stretch in the SPG system, but good none the less. The exec lounge is also generally pretty quiet from past experience, so you can get some good service in there including free breakfast etc.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
A new GM took over at the end of last year, if that makes any difference. More on him here.

As a local, I can't vouch for the rooms but I think the OneSpa is still very good. It set the world benchmark for hotel spas when it first opened about six years ago but has possibly lost its 'wow' factor now that more properties offer this kind of facility. It is far better than a hotel pool.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I have had two stays at the EDI Sheraton this year, and both resulted in suite upgrades (one with Castle View). However, my stays were in January and February, and weekend-only. I would imagine that snaring upgrades at this property during Festival season (August) or any time during peak tourist season (Late May-Late September) would be rather difficult. Just getting any hotel room (or short-term Flat rental) in EDI during Festival season can be a challenge.

The rooms at the Sheraton are quite tired, and IMO have a musty smell. I would say that the rooms there are oddly reminiscent of the rooms at the Thistle Hotel at the top of Leith Street (another unremarkable EDI Hotel). Granted, the Sheraton does have the nice spa facility as well as a decent (but small) lounge. However, the rooms are especially unimpressive, given the price the hotel charges.

The area of Lothian Road which the hotel fronts on can be a bit dodgy at night. When I went to Uni there, a friend of mine was seriously assaulted/mugged about a block and a half from there. Just up Lothian Road from the hotel are an assortment of "saunas" (AKA Brothels/Strip Clubs), some dismal night-clubs, and relatively (for the area) cheap student flats (when compared to Morningside, Marchmont, or New Town). Obviously, such features can attract a slightly edgy element in the wee hours of the morning. Despite this, the area is extremely safe during the day, and doesn't start to feel dodgy until around midnight (at least in my experience). That said, though, EDI is a very safe city overall, and one of my favorites in all of Europe. I go back as often as I can.

To be quite honest, I will be avoiding the Sheraton EDI for my future stays there. It will be a shame to forego the points, but there are simply too many new, extremely nice boutique hotels there to pass up. Personally, I plan to stay at Tigerlily the next time I'm in town. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it from my many friends and acquaintances in the UK.

Last edited by Anglo Large Clawed Otter; Sep 4, 2007 at 1:23 pm
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I stayed there recently on points and will go back again soon with one night points and one free weekend night which I think is a bargain as the asking price is 250 pounds.

But Anglo has it right that it's a somewhat tired hotel in a somewhat dodgy area. I need to be in that area to help out a college student whose dormitory is nearby, otherwise I would not stay there.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:21 am
tyn

Quick report, just back from a long weekend stay.

Large room, tiny bathroom. The room was very musty-smelling, like Anglo said above, and the window would not open so we were stuck with the smell. Ventilation didn't help much. The decor is what I would call Brit 80s style and tired-looking. At least the bed was quite comfortable.
I found it a bit weird that some services operate on a sort of reverse system. Turndown is not done unless you request it, allegedly to respect your privacy. Same for bedsheets. I am used to placing the card on the bed if you don't want them changed while here you have to place a card (well hidden in a folder on the desk, btw) if you want it changed.

Excellent breakfast spread with ample choice of items both for continental and scottish breakfast. Good service, but the staff hovers so insistently around you waiting to remove your plate as soon as you set down your fork that it made me wonder if they had a shortage of tableware

Very kind and helpful staff at reception and concierge desk
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:14 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold; AAdvantage Gold; HH Gold
Any new news/experience with this property?

Plan to be in Edinburgh early/mid May 08. That doesn't give me much of a buffer from tourist high season, but am wondering if I should risk just booking a regular room for 4 nights (inc. over a weekend, probably using points) and keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade or just booking a suite and paying for that (bird in the hand...).

Essentially, if I don't use my points for the Sheraton EDI I'll just use them wherever I stay in London (where I'll be for 2 nights at the start of my trip and 2 nights at the end of).
Old Jan 26, 2008, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes I tried this hotel again and had a great time. The hotel was quite full, but I still got an Platinum upgrade to an executive room. I know the area better now, and there are some nice places within walking distance once you get past the strip clubs.
Old May 22, 2008, 11:02 am
Pam

We just got home from five nights at the Grand, as gold I didn't expect anything except my free bottle of water and we got that. I had requested early check-in, and that was no problem, but the original room didn't have a wifi signal. They moved us immediately, to a room (625) with a perfect view of the castle and Usher Hall.

We only used the lounge once for breakfast, and a couple of times for a soft drink in the evening, but it was very active. Since our room was next door, and we were tired from all the touring, we were happy the lounge closed fairly early.

All staff members we encountered were very friendly, and the promised cab was ready for us when we checked out at 7:00 am.

Assuming we go back to Edinburgh, I'm sure we would stay there again, but next time we might base in Glasgow. We spent one night in Inverness, but kept the room to avoid hauling all the luggage around. Next time, I think we might travel even lighter and spend more time in the North.
Old May 23, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
We stayed here for two nights in April on a reward stay and we were very impressed. We were upgraded to a large castle-view room on the club floor, which was very nice. The staff were excellent from start to finish.

Breakfast in the hotel restaurant is very good, though also quite expensive. Breakfast in the lounge is much simpler, though quite acceptable.

The hotel is within walking distance of virtually everything you'd want to see in the city and the open-top bus tour also stops right outside, very handy for first-time visitors, as we were.

The Grand would be my first choice on our next trip to Edinburgh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.