Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Well I also bit the bullet and got 6 nites (one free) on points, from Oct. 22; it was no problem to add an extra nite even just this week, probably the fully-booked thing for early Oct. was owing to some special event, gov't. related, holiday etc.

As first-time guest, and as Gold, I'm assuming my room will automatically be on a somewhat higher SPG floor? Others here indicate the room itself is no different from a standard room, altho called "Deluxe" in the reservation; but is there anything I should specially request or avoid in room selection when checking in? Higher is better I suppose, and with a view, is that about it? No ongoing rehab work in the hotel to be concerned about?

Also, it seems pretty clear there is no breakfast or even club lounge offering here and on this award, but is there any other amenity I should expect or ask for as a Gold?

Anyhow it looks like a perfect location to explore the city for the first time, completely psyched here! Thanks for any responses.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
There aren't any other amenities I'm aware of as a Gold.

And, it's a great location. Enjoy your stay there!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:49 pm

Thanks, Brain; lack of amenities is no big deal for me altho if I were entitled to I'd want to know about it of course. Lack of a lounge is also no big deal, as the area is apparently packed with breakfast and snack options, and the full-service breakfast in the hotel is probably worth doing once regardless of cost, just for the experience, nice to know it is there anyhow. Somehow I don't think I'll lack for anything I really need!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, UA,AA
Booking with SPG or Amex Plat

I was torn between booking the Palace as Starwood Gold or using AMEX Platinum for a trip in mid October. Aside from using SPG, the AMEX Platinum card travel using the specific Palace FH&R amenity offers a room upgrade, breakfast each morning and one lunch or dinner during stay. Based on the pricey dining there, these seem to add up to a better deal, as far as I can tell. As to which booking method offers the best chance of a room upgrade, that jury is out...
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:40 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ksoze
I was torn between booking the Palace as Starwood Gold or using AMEX Platinum for a trip in mid October. Aside from using SPG, the AMEX Platinum card travel using the specific Palace FH&R amenity offers a room upgrade, breakfast each morning and one lunch or dinner during stay. Based on the pricey dining there, these seem to add up to a better deal, as far as I can tell. As to which booking method offers the best chance of a room upgrade, that jury is out...
I'd bet on the Amex Platinum, especially if you want to get a suite. Or book a suite and get a better suite. Amex Platinum will do that. SPG will not do that officially at any level.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:55 pm

breakfast included with 3 nights for 2 package?

Looking at booking next May, the offers page for this hotel say 3 nights for price of 2 and also says "Superfood Rx breakfast buffet included".

However, when trying a booking the T&C's say nothing about breakfast.

Anyone with experience using this promotion at this hotel?

And is the "Superfood Rx breakfast buffet" (in the Rotonda restaurant) their regular breakfast buffet?

Thanks.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, UA,AA
Palace - October 2010

Stayed for two separate stays over nine day trip. Ended up booking through AMEX LH&R for the more probable upgrade, free breakfasts and a lunch/dinner.

Was upgraded on check-in both visits from booked base room to Premium View room overlooking Neptune Fountain - fantastic! Lower floor, but was also able to use lobby winding staircase to skip elevator. Wonderful hotel in a great location. Staff was friendly and abundant - breakfasts seemed to have more staff than guests. Room size and quality excellent with huge hallways and large imposing wood doors. Although now over a century old, is in fine shape from all areas we saw.

Used the AMEX lunch amenity for the Opera Buffet on Sunday - unbelievable food selection and lovely dining under the dome serenaded by a couple performing opera highlights. Would have been 74 euro each without comp - ouch. Wireless 18 euro a day, but biz center offers one hour free - was generally able to find an open computer. Expensive drinks and food in general, but abundant choices outside the impressive lobby.

All in all a grand hotel in a great part of town - overlooking Prado and Thyssen and across from the Ritz. Will return someday soon.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:15 pm

Just back from my 6 nites there and can confirm all the accolades above -- it's a very nice property. As Gold, I was "upgraded" to exec level room on the 4th floor, but not sure how different that would be from the standard *deluxe* room -- free apples by the elevator landing might be the only real difference. My room was on the side overlooking the Thyssen, very comfy and spacious with splendid views; however, there is still street work ongoing on the other side, around the block from the entrance, and it is noisy so I would avoid that for right now; must surely be finished very soon however. The staff are all verrrrrry nice and the concierges top-notch. Location of course is a dream for the museums, and so close to Huertas and Santa Ana etc. However, if paying cash, you could probably find other quite nice properties in the immediate area for far less -- my brother booked the Villa Real just behind the Westin for half the price and it's quite acceptable with the same superb location -- no grandiose public areas, but the rooms have little seating areas with little balconies attached, very charming. So final choice for me next time would depend on what deals can be found at the Westin at time of booking.

On check-in, I was offered a special breakfast deal for 20E, and took it for 2 of my mornings there, well worth that price but not, I'd say, the more exalted normal rate. Again, not sure who gets this special deal, but grab it if offered. Anyhow you have to have something sitting under that amazing dome even if just a cup of tea!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by caustek
The Metro is your cheapest way to get to the hotel (allow about 45 min - 1 hr).

- Pink Line (8) to Mar de Cristal > Brown Line (4) to Goya > Red Line (2) to Banco de Espana

(http://www.madridinfosite.com/images/madrid-metro.pdf)

From there it is a short 5 min walk to the hotel.
Heading there in a month. Thanks for this info and the link. A bit concerned about the pick pocketing. Taking my parents, we will do carry on's, so should be ok.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:35 pm

Holiday in madrid

Booked a room at the Westin Palace for 12/30-1/2 using C+P. Is there any activity on New Year eve in the area? any place would open on 1/1?

Btw, do they charge tax on the $90?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K
Although the Palace is a bit of an older crowd for my taste, I always enjoy staying there. Lovely, old-world class. (There are many more modern properties in Madrid, but I do love sipping cocktails under the cúpula.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:19 pm
Suspended

all I can say is WOW!

Unfortunately I misjudged a few things a few weeks ago when I booked my stay for this past Fri night. It was for 1 night and only after booking my tkts to MAD and MAD-BCN for Sat night, did I learn I put myself straight behind the 8 Ball

I figured Id prepare myself for some Horse trading and was prepared for being shot down on Everything. Much to my surprise the MOD is 1 GREAT person, he resolved everything to a degree that I was left speechless and didnt require anything from my side whatsoever, and he left me staying in the Jr suite they UPed me to

If the majority of MODs would think and act like Mr Fernandez does *W would be a much better Chain & Program.

I was at Fault for having assumed a number of things which all were false in the end which led to my personal problem. I asked to speak to him a 2nd time as I wanted to Thank Him in person and we ended up talking for apx 20 mins. what an Attitude and way to run a Hotel!!!!I will be calling Corp when I get to the US to make sure they know they have this Gem of a Mgr working for them

(I wont go into the details least someone misuse them, I just wanted everyone to know that this Mgr and this Hotel does CARE and if you mess up and they are able to help out they will) WOW
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by adlibitum
Looking at booking next May, the offers page for this hotel say 3 nights for price of 2 and also says "Superfood Rx breakfast buffet included".

However, when trying a booking the T&C's say nothing about breakfast.

Anyone with experience using this promotion at this hotel?

And is the "Superfood Rx breakfast buffet" (in the Rotonda restaurant) their regular breakfast buffet?

Thanks.
I have stayed at this property 3 times this year......and twice using the promotion you cited. I also noticed that the superfood buffet was not on the T&C but I did get it anyway. Also, the superfood Rx breakfast is indeed the complete buffet breadfast in the Rotunda and it is excellent indeed. Well worth having. Lots to choose from both hot and cold including made to order eggs if you like.

I loved the hotel due to:
- old world charm.
- great location close to museums.
- top notch front desk and concierge presonnel.
- great breakfast.

My two minor issues (totally overweighed by the positives) are:
- Some room furniture, carpet, wallpaper is quite warn.
- In my view the "Westin Brand" does not fit well
with this property. Cheapens the property
a bit in my view. The Palace should be a
Luxury Collection or St Regis property.

Overall a lovely hotel and is highly recommended by Seat 1F!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP /United Silver/Marriot Plat / HH Gold / SPG Gold
Just booked 3 nights here on points for mid october 2011...

Fingers crossed for a decent upgrade as a SPG Plat......going to Spain/Morocco to celebrate Ms. Jcooper90 and my birthdays....This is the start of our trip.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by chanp
Heading there in a month. Thanks for this info and the link. A bit concerned about the pick pocketing. Taking my parents, we will do carry on's, so should be ok.
I would recommend taking the airport express bus. This is a new service that just started about a month ago, see the link below. To get to Westin, you will get off at Plaza de cibeles. The trip takes between 20 mins to 40 mins depending on the traffic. The cost is 2 euro.
http://www.gomadrid.com/transport/Airport-Express.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.