Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Anyone have any recommendations on getting to the hotel from the airport? How much for a cab? Any cheaper public transportation alternatives?

I will be there for 1 night in Sept (using my FWN award). Combining this with my $170 airfare from Calgary to Madrid, so trying to keep costs down in the spirit of an el cheapo mileage run.
The subway will get you within a few blocks.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: SPG Gold / Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Anyone have any recommendations on getting to the hotel from the airport? How much for a cab? Any cheaper public transportation alternatives?

I will be there for 1 night in Sept (using my FWN award). Combining this with my $170 airfare from Calgary to Madrid, so trying to keep costs down in the spirit of an el cheapo mileage run.
The Metro is your cheapest way to get to the hotel (allow about 45 min - 1 hr).

- Pink Line (8) to Mar de Cristal > Brown Line (4) to Goya > Red Line (2) to Banco de Espana

(http://www.madridinfosite.com/images/madrid-metro.pdf)

From there it is a short 5 min walk to the hotel.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks for the replies! I'm flying in and departing mid-day so that should be perfect.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Any updates to this hotel?

I will be staying here for a long weekend this week, checking in on Thursday and leaving on Sunday. Traveling with the family and I have booked two rooms at the cash and points rate ($90USD per room per night plus 4800 SPG points per night)

I emailed the hotel and inquired about adjoining rooms and/or and upgrade and they offered to confirm and upgrade to one of the rooms now for no charge if I paid 50 euros for the 2nd room.

I agreed as I figured it was worth it to get both rooms upgraded and next to each other for only about $75USD more.

I'm told I'll be in "Executive connecting rooms"

I'm looking forward to a good stay!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:35 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Krisflyer Gold
Spent 3 nights here with my wife in mid August. We arrived by train (the main station) and took a cab to the Hotel (around 10 euros for a short journey - we walked from the hotel to the station on the return leg).

We stayed for 3 nights (paid 138 euros + IVA per night inc b'fast for a standard room). Got upgraded to a junior suite, though one with an adjoining room and assistance for the handicapped in the bathroom. Not a problem - the room was nice and quiet. A great bed with great bedding materials. A good sized room, the 'suite' bit was off to one side rather than a separate room.

The hotel breakfast was excellent in a very nice dining area with a fantastic stained glass dome in the ceiling. We also had a drink in the bar one night - very expensive though (20 euros for a G&T).

The hotel is well situated for the galleries (Prado and Thyson within 5 mins walk). Lots of nice tapas bars and restaurants all within a short walk.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Talking Great customer service!

I have been trying to secure one last day in October for two months! The rate as of today was 500++ euros. I was checking multiple times, daily! Called SPG today and got an outstanding employee. She did her research and was able to secure a room with points. Other calls never produced this result. She was great, even cracking jokes with me... Kudos to her and SPG.

May not be the most appropriate place for this comment but since it dealt with the Palace I figured...
Thanks for the recent reviews...

-singtx
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Executive Platinum, Hyatt - Diamond Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by caustek
The Metro is your cheapest way to get to the hotel (allow about 45 min - 1 hr).

- Pink Line (8) to Mar de Cristal > Brown Line (4) to Goya > Red Line (2) to Banco de Espana

(http://www.madridinfosite.com/images/madrid-metro.pdf)

From there it is a short 5 min walk to the hotel.
Hi,

Would you recommend this route for 2 ppl, one large suitcase and a bag each? I read that it would probably cost 35 euro's from the airport to the hotel which is about 50 bucks I'm guessing. I am perfectly fine with trying to save money where we can. Please advise. Thanks!

- Albutt -
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:39 am
rkp

Does anyone know if the Westin Palace requires your passport at check-in? I am going out to Spain in a few weeks and just want to be prepared. I obviously will have my passport but never feel comfortable with a hotel holding it for a day or 2. The SPG properties in Italy all required to hold my passport for a few hours so my gut feeling is that it will be the same in Spain.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by rkp
Does anyone know if the Westin Palace requires your passport at check-in? I am going out to Spain in a few weeks and just want to be prepared. I obviously will have my passport but never feel comfortable with a hotel holding it for a day or 2. The SPG properties in Italy all required to hold my passport for a few hours so my gut feeling is that it will be the same in Spain.
On my last stay there, it was shown at check-in and copied, but not kept.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Gold VIP
not held.. just shown... Very good hotel... Excellent location...
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Italy is the only EU country that has a photocopy your passport. It is Starwood that asks to see an ID and I often just show a drivers license even in Europe.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: SPANAIR GOLD, IBERIA GOLD, SPG GOLD
Easy explanation

Originally Posted by singtx
I just asked this question in the C&P thread! The prices in October 2009 are crazy! Does anyone know if something is going on the week of the 11th? Every week except the week of Oct 11th has points and C&P options. Any reason why...only the National holiday that week so not sure what is going on!

Appreciate any insights to make our trip better... haven't stayed here and am looking forward to our first stay!
Am making a call on Monday to see if SPG can help.

12/october is de national day in Spain. The Royal Family, President and Ministres and hight autorities are in Madrid for comemoration the America discovery and have greather parade to Army. The 5 star hotels are ocupated in all Madrid

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 31, 2009 at 4:48 pm Reason: fixed quote coding
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
Just got back from two different stays and loved the Westin Palace. It's in a great location and centralized for pretty much everything.

One tip to add to previous posts--if you take the metro into the city (2Euro/person...35-40min ride), get off at Banca de Espana like posted before, but check the wall and exit the station on the Marquez de Cubas side, that way you don't have to cross the street and you just follow Marquez de Cubas straight back to the hotel--5 min max with pull bags.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
I stayed at this hotel for 2 different stays (1 night and then 8 nights) a few weeks ago. They don't take your passport (I just had to show mine at check in). The floors are pretty big though and my room was really far away from the elevator (small European style) and stairs.

The metro station is not far but if you have a lot of heavy bags, then a taxi is probably the better way to go from the airport. The metro is nice and clean but there is some walking and one area with a few stairs, etc. If I was alone, I'd probably just take metro but if I had more people with me, it's not expensive to take a cab. Cab fare was 30 euros (including a small 2 euro tip).

The hotel is located right across the street from the Thyssen, 5 minutes from the Prado, 10 minutes from the Sofia (modern art museum). The train station is also about 10 minutes away and is an easy walk.

The breakfast is good under the glass dome but a little expensive. Don't forget that there is a custom egg cook where he will cook omelets, eggs benedict, etc.

There are plenty of cabs at the hotel (there's cab line right in front) so it's alway easy to catch cabs. Whenever I had a group of 3 or 4 people, it was just a cheap to take a cab to the local areas (La Latina, Palace, Plaza Mayor, etc.).

This is a great property and I will always stay here when I go to Madrid.

Rock.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
[QUOTE=Rock72;

The breakfast is good under the glass dome but a little expensive. Don't forget that there is a custom egg cook where he will cook omelets, eggs benedict, etc.

QUOTE]

I know what you mean by a little expensive for breakfast Rock, 33Euro during the week and Sat and 45Euro for the Opera brunch on Sunday. You're better off walking up to any of the little Plazas and grabbing a nice breakfast and cafe for 10euro.

We had to big pull behind bags along with backpacks, and it really was an easy walk to the hotel...if you're on a budget, it's a nice way to save $10 on a cab from the metro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.