Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Galleria; Houston, Texas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Galleria; Houston, Texas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
i thought if you got moved you still get stay credit and if elite the pts equal to the hotel level for one night.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:36 am
ski

The Westins manager's name is Ken Wang. He has always been very helpful. There are 2 Westins in the Galleria, the Westin Oaks and Westin Galleria. You might try calling to see if he can straighten things out. There is not much difference between the 2 buildings and they share charging, etc. I would ask to be put at the St. Regis with comp parking if they can't find you a room at one of the Westins. The Hotel Derek is the only hotel name that comes to mind as possibly calling itself a boutique in the Galleria. It used to be a Red Lion. I would skip it. If by chance they are putting you at the Houstonian, I would take it and the SPG points and stay credit.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:35 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Raspberry2005
...Lurker? What gives? Why were some reservations honored and some not?...
Sorry to hear of your problems, but I don't have a clue. You might want to contact Hotel Customer Service and ask them to intervene on your behalf. You can call them toll-free at 800-328-6242 or contact them by email at [email protected].

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Westin Galleria; Houston, Texas

How is this property. My company has this property reserved for an 8 night stay in a couple of weeks. I read that the property has undergone a multi-million dollar renovation recently. I am curious. Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:44 pm
Y'z

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
How is this property. My company has this property reserved for an 8 night stay in a couple of weeks. I read that the property has undergone a multi-million dollar renovation recently. I am curious. Thanks.
It is connected with huge mall. Though it's an old building, all room are renovated following the westin prototype which is simple modern. It is not outstanding but comfortanle room. I did not check the fitness center. so I would like to know how the gym is like.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 3:30 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Service was bad.. Security woke me up at 1am to look for a coat!!

Originally Posted by Y'z
It is connected with huge mall. Though it's an old building, all room are renovated following the westin prototype which is simple modern. It is not outstanding but comfortanle room. I did not check the fitness center. so I would like to know how the gym is like.

I am completing a stay at the Westin Galleria tomorrow. I agree that its a pretty typical Westin, nothing special. Great location though, the mall has everything. However, IMO, the service at this hotel was terrible. Don't expect to get upgraded or even treated special as a plat. Front desk lady acted like it was a pain to even check me in.

I was also excited about the fitness center... until I asked the concierge about it and he told me it was located in the mall and cost $13/day to use! Not Cool!!

Now, the worst part.. I get a call at 1am. I hadn't been asleep too long, but I didn't answer it.. I just figured it was the wrong number. However, the next morning I checked the message and it was the security guard, and he said a previous guest had left his jacket and he wanted me to look for it.. at 1am! He even have the nerve to tell me to call him back either way when I got the message. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?! I was pretty angry over the whole deal and called the next morning.. they gave me free breakfast... oh well, I will probably try the Westin Oaks next time.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:04 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond
Angry The Westin Galleria/Oaks-Houston

Has anyone ever stayed at either one of these properties? (FYI they are run by the same outfit)

My experiences here have been a nightmare. Unclean sheets, rogue hairs in the bathtub, sink, and bed. One time there was a toenail clipping on the bathroom floor. Unsightly mold in the bathtub and on the wallpaper in the halls/rooms. The elevators are an accident waiting to happen. The carpets in the halls/rooms are a joke. Baseboards are scratched and chipped. ETC ETC ETC........

I could go on and on about how they need more attentive housekeepers. Or as I like to call them "mousekeepers" (at these two properties). They are also in really bad need of renovations and remodeling.

The staff is sincere, but on occasion they have been really clueless on customer service.

Our latest stay had a narcotics anonymous convention in the hotel. On my floor these people were running up and down, knocking on doors, being inconsiderate at 2am. I know I am not the only one that complained. A lot of the other guests were very upset. A couple of times they were taunting other guests and freaking them out. Then the valet was really tardy. We waited 27, 30, and 24 minutes to get our car. Kind of defeats the purpose of valet.

I have complained time and time again, but things dont change. All I get is a free continental breakfast coupon and the toast is burnt. So....regardless if I need a matress run or not, I will never stay there again!!!! I've given these two properties too many chances.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
First let me welcome you to FlyerTalk.

Now to answer your question. YES, people have stayed at those properties. There are numerous thread on both properties.

I am sorry to hear about your experiences. If services are not up to your standards, please contact hotel customer service.

Being new here, I would suggest reading the FAQ sticky thread above and the Everything you wanted to know about SPG. Two very informative threads that will provided you with amazing information.

Examples.
Houston Westins
Houston Oaks or Galleria
Houston: WestinOaks or Westin Galleria

Last edited by ldsant; Jan 27, 2008 at 12:24 am
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:27 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Another Disappointing Stay at Houston Oaks -- AVOID

I stayed 4 nights during earlier this week (24-28 March) at The Westin Oaks and I deeply regret it. This property is aging and in bad shape. Only one out of the four elevators was functional and during my 4-day stay, I wasted nearly 45min on the occasions I needed to reach my room on the 20th floor.

The heavenly shower lacked the minimum standard of a Holiday Inn. The pressure was low and there was no hot water (just warm enough not to make you shiver in the morning).

The staff was not motivated or may be not trained well to attend to their duties. The operator transfers you to the front desk of the wrong hotel! The porter doesn't bring the luggage and you have to go downstairs and bring them yourself after over 30min wait in the room. The housekeeping intentionally hold some of the supplies so you call and request them so you give tips upon delivery. Suppliers provided for a single occupancy while room is booked for two, replenishment of supplies given for one person and you need to call them every day to ask for additional items.

ADVICE: AVOID THIS PROPERTY BY ALL MEANS.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:13 pm

Angry Rubbish!!!

Cheap Elite,

I have complained to Customer Service at that 800 number on many occasions. Several times I had the hardest time understanding these ladies. They told me they are from somewhere in the Middle East (nice going Starwood).

Now for the latest adventure......

I stayed there last weekend, in hopes things have changed (and I needed a matress run-I love the Heavenly Beds/White tea products).....they havent.

First, it took me FOREVER to check in. I am a SPG Gold, but I had to wait in line, like everyone else. There was an elderly couple off to the side fuming about the service they have recieved demanding to talk to a manager (I felt like saying, "I've been there before at this place. I know how you feel").

They need major renovations. The mold is still hanging out on the walls in the hallways/bedroom. Under the toilet seat, there was feces wiped across. I showed the bellman when he was unloading our luggage. They gave me breakfast and two 12 oz cans of Dr Pepper, after waiting over an hour to hear from the front desk.

I finally ask several of the bellmen whats going on, including the one who was grossed out by the toilet episode. "What type of show are they running around here?", I asked. They said the properties are not owned by Starwood. They are owned by the company that runs the Galleria, somewhere in MN. They also ALL told me there are stacks and stacks of complaints at the front office desk, but no one does anything about it, because of the profit they continue to produce. As that one bellman told me, "they get away with murder here, mainly because of its location".

Sad.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Although five months later, I would suggestion looking at the sticky thread for contact information. I have never been connected to anyone out of country.

Where exactly are you located. When you called did you get a file number?

Again, I can't stress calling corporate customer service.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:48 pm

Thumbs down Westin Oaks/Galleria blues

Cheap Elite,

If you call late, like after midnight, you'll get transfered to another country. The SPG associates even told me its somewhere on the other side of the world. I cant remember the country, but perhaps I should try calling during the day.

Yes, I did get a reference number. Oh, you'll love this....the Service Express Manager called me and said "I've complained too much, perhaps we arent up to your standards. Maybe I should look somewhere else to stay".

I was fit to be tied! I called Starwood and complained. I said "toenails on bathroom floors, long black rogue hairs on the beds, and falling bathroom ceilings are not Starwood standards, much less my standards". A couple of months later, I find out he and his staff are no longer with the properties. I ask what happened and the front desk manager said "he is persuing other ventures". I ask a bellman (a great source of honest information), and he told me that man had all kinds of problems with guests and he got canned. He was a total jerk from day one. Thats why I say customer service is lacking at these two properties. I see how other guests are treated there too. Its a circus.

They really need renovations. I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way. I was reading the other posts on here. Man oh man!

Go Astros!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by domerun
Cheap Elite,

If you call late, like after midnight, you'll get transfered to another country. The SPG associates even told me its somewhere on the other side of the world. I cant remember the country, but perhaps I should try calling during the day.

Yes, I did get a reference number. Oh, you'll love this....the Service Express Manager called me and said "I've complained too much, perhaps we arent up to your standards. Maybe I should look somewhere else to stay".

I was fit to be tied! I called Starwood and complained. I said "toenails on bathroom floors, long black rogue hairs on the beds, and falling bathroom ceilings are not Starwood standards, much less my standards". A couple of months later, I find out he and his staff are no longer with the properties. I ask what happened and the front desk manager said "he is persuing other ventures". I ask a bellman (a great source of honest information), and he told me that man had all kinds of problems with guests and he got canned. He was a total jerk from day one. Thats why I say customer service is lacking at these two properties. I see how other guests are treated there too. Its a circus.

They really need renovations. I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way. I was reading the other posts on here. Man oh man!

Go Astros!
OH, I didn't know that. My bad.

I'm shocked a representative of the hotel would say that.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:26 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unhappy cant wait for the new Westin in Houston!!!

I stayed at the Westin Oaks about a month ago. Bad experience. I was hoping for better things at the Galleria property.

I was finishing a nice hot bath when I decided to rinse off. Well....the water went out in the hotel. Dry! I had no way of rinsing off and I had soap all over me.

I called and complained. They sent me a comp cheesecake (which they tried to charge me for later) and said the water should be back any minute. I waited over an hour and a half. When it did come back on, of course it was dirty. I let it run for over 30 minutes and it was still dirty and a lot of black junk stuck to the bottom of the tub.

Again, called the front desk and told them it wasnt getting any better and I needed to go to bed. It was after 1AM. I slept with dried Westin soap on me.

I called at 7:30AM for the maids to come and clean things up in the dirty tub so I could rinse off. It was an emergency since I needed to be going about my day.

After calling twice and not getting maid service, I had to go downstairs and ask 3 times for the maids. It was out of control!!!

The maid came at 11AM and cleaned the tub. That shower felt good! LOL!!!

I got 3,000 points out of the deal. ha! They promised me that last time for my problems at the Oaks.

Dont worry Cheap, I am calling that 800#!

Last edited by thequigmans; Aug 5, 2008 at 8:34 pm
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Any recent experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.