Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Galleria; Houston, Texas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Galleria; Houston, Texas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Checked into the Westin Galleria last night. No upgrade offered for this platinum.There are some definite improvemens in the common areas. The furniture, flooring and lighting are all refurbished. You can still see the ode to the 80's with the rough marble everywhere and the dated elevators.

The rooms are nicely renovated. All the wood surfaces now have granite tops which gives a nice modern finish. The tub walls, bathroom floor and vanity have been redone. The tub is still the original and looks a bit dated next to the new tub tiles. There is a new big comfy chair with ottoman and the desk has an ergonomic chair.

Overall I like this hotel, but my first choice is the Sheraton Suites Galleria since it has a large bathroom. I like how the SS has a separate room for the tub/toilet and has a long vanity/sink area. The SS would definitely be my preference if traveling with a companion.

The rates are about a wash on my corporate rate. SS = $132 +13 for self parking. The Westin = $155 + free self parking.

The SS has free internet for all and includes a fridge in the room. The Westin only has free internet for Plats.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:59 am

I had looked at staying at this location over Thanksgiving. I usually try to make all my stays at SPG hotels, but then someone told me about the Hotel Indigo across the street that has free parking and free wifi. I got 6 nights on priceline for $45 a night plus tax. $25 more to upgrade at the Indigo for a pretty large two room suite.

Photos: http://tinyurl.com/hotelindigoH

Last edited by Astrophsx; Jan 25, 2011 at 10:02 am Reason: link to photos
Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:28 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I stayed here in August and it wasn't that bad. Front desk clerk was professional, at the westin standard. Hallways dated. Rooms were decent. Flat panel tv if I remember. Two pay duty cops in chilling in the lobby at night (weird). Gym is really nice, excellent equipment. Pool area is weird, you have to exit onto a rooftop with some planters (to give it that natural look, y'know?) then climb some stairs, and the pool is right next to the physical plant. Loud. More of a giant 4-points than a Westin, but not horrific like some 4-points stays. It was nice for the shopping, but I'll try other properties in this area before I come back here.

And I LOL'd at the paid parking, just park in the garage (Brown lot?). Go up a level to the very back where no cars park, then just walk down the auto-ramp.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:30 pm
cur

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I had looked at staying at this location over Thanksgiving. I usually try to make all my stays at SPG hotels, but then someone told me about the Hotel Indigo across the street that has free parking and free wifi. I got 6 nights on priceline for $45 a night plus tax. $25 more to upgrade at the Indigo for a pretty large two room suite.

Photos: http://tinyurl.com/hotelindigoH
I'd rather stay in an Aloft room than a room with blueberries on the wall behind the bed. Weeeiiirrrd

..yet again, Houston is a weird city
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Complete incompetence at the Houston Galleria Houston this morning.

Woke up at 6:30am this morning and tried to turn on the shower. Nothing comes out. Figuring I must be doing something wrong I fiddle with all the switches and then head over to the sink to check to see if there is any water there. No water out of the sink either. Try calling down to the front desk and no one answers after letting it ring for 2 minutes.

Frustrated with not knowing an answer I head down in my PJs to the front desk to see what the problem is and if it is just my room. As soon as I get off the elevator there is a bellman standing there and he starts repeating over and over “it is not our fault, it is the mall’s problem.” He then goes back to his podium and continues to chat with his buddy completely unhelpful to guests.

There is a hoard of people surrounding the one and only front desk clerk. The phone is ringing and no one is answering. She keeps saying it “just” happened. There was a gentleman standing there who stated his water wasn’t working at 5:30am, so this problem had been a known issue for over an hour, yet no one was answering the phone to let guests know, nor had any hotel wide voicemail been left alerting guests. All the hotels were sold out in the Galleria area due to some large conference in town so there were no additional rooms to be had.

The only option given was to use the one lone shower in the hotel gym. There was a line people waiting like we were all in some sort of homeless shelter, not what I would expect in a 4 star business hotel.

I am not complaining about the lack of water so much as I am complaining about the complete ineptness of the staff in communication and help with the problem. I would think an hour into realizing there was no water in many floors of the hotel that there should have been some plan of action for communication.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down Horrors at The Westin Galleria, continue

somethings never change...

The water going out and no one knowing what was going on, happened to me in Aug of 2008. I even wrote about it on here.

Oh...and the bellman told me it was the mall's fault too. Apparently, that is the standard answer to be given when the water goes out.

Last but not least...

what do you mean cur, "Houston is a weird city"?

..yet again, Houston is a weird city [/QUOTE]

Dont blame the city for poor SPG properties
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:34 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond
How do we nominate these properties for the SPG Hall of Shame?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:52 pm
cur

Originally Posted by thequigmans
what do you mean cur, "Houston is a weird city"?

Watch Robert Altman's "Brewster McCloud". I see the same kind of surrealism in the fine city of Houston.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:55 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by cur
...Watch Robert Altman's "Brewster McCloud". I see the same kind of surrealism in the fine city of Houston.
Be sure to watch out for pretty women driving cars that have a BRD SHT license plate. Deadly.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:56 pm
cur

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Be sure to watch out for pretty women driving cars that have a BRD SHT license plate. Deadly.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Unreal. A fine taste in film you have .
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond
hurry up Westin Memorial City

At least we aren't like Dallas....and the fans of our NBA team are more civil than the ones in San Antonio :-)

Go Rockets!!!

Seriously, this place is a dump. Can't wait for the Westin Memorial City. Should be opening in about a month from now!!!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:52 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by thequigmans
...and the fans of our NBA team are more civil than the ones in San Antonio :-)

Go Rockets!!!...
Now, now. Go, Spurs, go!!

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
What's wrong with Houston??? I've only been there once... but I liked it. They have some really nice areas, I was surprised that Starwood doesn't even have 1 downtown property and not 1, but 2 Westin properties at the Galleria!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Feb 26, 2011 at 9:04 am
Old May 25, 2011, 7:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The Westin Galleria Houston just can't get it together. It is a great location, but the service is on par with a Motel 6. I have been here for the last three nights and not once has the coffee or water been refreshed in room, so a naked tray just sits there. Just like the last time, no paper delivered to the room.

SPG corporate really needs to get on this hotel for not providing service up to brand standards.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Stayed one night this past week at the Galleria. I've stayed at the Oaks (once and only once in my lifetime) and didn't have much expectation for the Galleria. I was correct in my expectations. I did not get an upgrade (no surprise with SPG). Rooms very very average and typical for your most average Westin (think LAX, Bonaventure, and Oaks). Service was fine, but no better than any other hotel in the area. The only convenience was the mall being right there, but you can catch a shuttle from the JW, Summerfield Suites, and just about everywhere else if you can't walk. I was very disappointed that my room, on the 18th floor (SPG) was worn, especially in the bathroom. Pillows were absolutely horrendous...about 1/4 filled with feathers, and all case. For this reason I'll never go back.

Public areas, which were just renovated, still look dated with the light oak and already worn out seating. Not good, my friends. Not a good hotel for $230+ a night!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.