Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Galleria; Houston, Texas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Galleria; Houston, Texas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I've had about 5 stays or so there in the last 2 months. Service has definitely improved over what it was 6 months-1 year ago. Front desk agents were all very helpful and nice. As a plat, I was upgraded to a junior suite once, and once to the Presidential Suite, which was very nice surprise. It seems like occupancy is down versus where it was previously (just like the rest of the country), and so maybe they're making a little more effort to be a worthwhile hotel.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Have been staying here 3 nights a week for the last 5 weeks and apparently the bellman who is supposed to deliver the papers in the early morning must be dumping them in the trash because at least 2 of the 3 mornings every week I don't get a paper.

I am a PLAT and at check in I am always asked what paper I want, so the request is definitely in the system. Checked in Monday evening (3/23/2009) and complained to the front desk person about the bad paper delivery service. He made a point of writing something down.

Tuesday AM - 2 papers outside my door. USA Today and Houston Chronicle (cool)

Wednesday AM - 3 papers outside me door. USA Today, Houston Chronicle and Wall Street Jounal (thinks this is a bit excessive but I enjoy scanning the front pages of each section in the morning.)

Thursday AM - NO PAPER! I look down the hall and not a single room has a paper. Call down to complain and 20 minutes later and all three papers delivered. (total overkill) Speak with supervisor and she tells me that getting a paper is only a request and that not every door will have a paper. I found it odd that no other doors on my floor had a paper at 7am, so I find it hard to believe that all who had requested papers were up and had collected them. 20 minutes later supervisor knocks on my door with two more papers (local and USA Today) I leave a few minutes later and now see that there are papers outside a few doors.

My personal belief is that whoever is in charge of delivering papers is being cheap or lazy. If you want to control costs at least have a stack of papers by the courtesy phone on each floor so that those who want one can grab one.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:06 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond
Yeah, this place is still for the birds. I have had several colleagues recently tell me their horror stories at these two properties (Galleria and Oaks).

Why they wont remodel is beyond me. I read other travel comments written about the Oaks and Galleria in Houston and the same problems have been going on for ten years.

The new Westin in town is scheduled to open in the fall. It was supposed to open this spring, but Hurricane Ike delayed the construction. It cant get here soon enough.
Old May 4, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, spg, Delta skymiles, marriott rewards
Stayed 2 nights at end of April, service OK, nothing bad, nothing sensational. However, if you don't want to pay the $27 parking fee, go one entrance west of the front door of the Hotel, park in the garage right under the West side Macy's, and you are 25 yards from the front door of the hotel for free! You can also take an elevator up and come out by Macy's cosmetic department or walk outside to Alabama street and right to the front door.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond
Angry

If you love a great place with mold and mildew hanging out in your room, come to the Westin Oaks and Galleria!!

They have everything you need, including toilets that do not flush properly, towels with long black hairs wrapped inside, and huge amounts of dust on the curtains.

Never seen a place charge so much for such horrible service and lack of cleanliness.

This place still blows @$$! They have been talking about remodeling for years...still hasnt happened.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
So. Is this place a dump or not?

Considering a stay. Current comments on treatment of Ps appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:40 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
I confirm this place is a dump, don't stay there.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Understood.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:55 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond
Run for your life!!!

Please...stay away!!! It is not worth the hastle, frustration, and disapointment!!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Just an FYI-I stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago, and they are in the process of renovating the hotel. Currently, they have finished something like four floors. I was the first person to stay in one of the rooms on the 17th floor. It is a similar style, but everything is freshened up. It looks more like a standard Westin now. All in all, I'd say the new rooms look pretty good. The front desk said that the renovations should be totally finished by April or May. Once they finish the Galleria, they are going to start working on the Westin Oaks.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by berettajeff
Just an FYI-I stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago, and they are in the process of renovating the hotel. Currently, they have finished something like four floors. I was the first person to stay in one of the rooms on the 17th floor. It is a similar style, but everything is freshened up. It looks more like a standard Westin now. All in all, I'd say the new rooms look pretty good. The front desk said that the renovations should be totally finished by April or May. Once they finish the Galleria, they are going to start working on the Westin Oaks.
Good to know
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Been staying here the past 3 weeks Mon-Thurs and definitely notice a difference between the renovated and non-renovated floors. The higher levels seem to have all been redone (not sure where the cutoff is) and as stated before, feel like a standard Westin. I just got done with 15mos worth of stays at the Westin in Pasadena, CA and the rooms are very similar between the two. If you request a room on the higher floors you should be ok.
One thing I was happy about was this week I was stuck in a **44 room, which is right next to the elevator bank. It was either that or a queen bed on a lower, non renovated floor. However, there was virtually no noticeable elevator noise and I wasn't woken up once, contrary to my stay in a similarly placed room at the Westin Pasadena where the noise from the elevator moving was enough to wake me up unless I had the A/C on full blast.
The gym could use some refreshing as they have a good amount of machines and free weights, but only one weight bench which makes it hard to get a workout in when there's more than one person using it. Haven't checked out the pool yet so no comments on that.
The hotel's restaurant is the Daily Grill that's in the mall, which is located right around the corner on the 3rd floor. Food is the same as any other daily grill and it's convenient being able to put the charges on your room.
Not sure if this is well advertised but you can park for free in the parking structure next door to the hotel (look for signs for Macy's parking). Better than the ~$21 for valet!
I'll add anything else I can think of as I stay here longer but overall I wasn't expecting much given the other reviews and was pleasantly surprised. Oh, so far the front desk staff have all been extremely helpful. My only incident was with service express not being able to get me a set of cutlery for some takeout I ordered and I had to head to the front desk to request it. The MOD was very apologetic and had it delivered within a few minutes of me coming down.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
bump. Any post renovation experiences?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Anyone stayed there since the renovation ?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by couscous
Anyone stayed there since the renovation ?
Stayed at the Oaks last October 2010 and was in a renovated room. It's a standard Westin now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.