Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Then I suggest you not bring these subjects up. You make a claim, expect it to be explored. Frankly I can see why the Front Desk folks acted as they did, when you call discussion and critique of this thread an "assault". Thats a little over reaction at its finest.
^^
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:52 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by conroy

Theory: I suspect that people may be having trouble with unrenovated rooms when the hotel is busy.

Perhaps there are some bad staff and/or cultural differences. It might be good to suggest people record more information about whatever bad experiences than usual given that experiences have been inconsistent.

So, I'm Platinum (~50 year old white male) and got upgraded to a truly crappy suite last December. It was old, it was run-down, it was dirty, not all the electric outlets worked, I don't really remember about the heat / AC. It wasn't worth the aggravation to talk to the hotel staff about because I was only there for one night, but I do remember that I decided not to go back to this hotel.

IMHO, it really should be kicked out of the Sheraton chain until it gets upgraded. It is truly sad that Belgravia left and this travesty remains.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: EBG, Hhonours Silver, Starwood Plat, Hertz#1 Gold Five Star, Sixt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Expensive and worn down Hotel

After a long day of work and traveling I had a late night check in at this hotel tonight, and when I pay up to 400 £ a night for a room I do expect it to have a certain standard.

I booked a Studio Suite witch was a 2 room suite with old and worn down furniture and decorations. The bathroom looks something like that was built in the early 30 this, the bed is hard and hash, the phones are missing parts. And to get something to pore the drink from the minibar inn I had to call guest service to provide the room with glass, that alone took 30 minutes.

And this is only what I have experienced so far. If it hadn't been for the fact that all other hotels are fully booked here in London this week I would have checked out first thing tomorrow morning and found somewhere else to spend my remaining 3 nights of my stay.

So this is most likely my first and last stay at this Hotel, but of course miracles can happen ...
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by BHSA
After a long day of work and traveling I had a late night check in at this hotel tonight, and when I pay up to 400 £ a night for a room I do expect it to have a certain standard.

I booked a Studio Suite witch was a 2 room suite with old and worn down furniture and decorations. The bathroom looks something like that was built in the early 30 this, the bed is hard and hash, the phones are missing parts. And to get something to pore the drink from the minibar inn I had to call guest service to provide the room with glass, that alone took 30 minutes.

And this is only what I have experienced so far. If it hadn't been for the fact that all other hotels are fully booked here in London this week I would have checked out first thing tomorrow morning and found somewhere else to spend my remaining 3 nights of my stay.

So this is most likely my first and last stay at this Hotel, but of course miracles can happen ...
did you check this thread before making your booking????you would have had an idea of what to expect by just reading the last few posts....
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by saad
did you check this thread before making your booking????you would have had an idea of what to expect by just reading the last few posts....
I was glad that I found this thread and did no booked this property. Stayed at Le Meridian and loved it.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I was glad that I found this thread and did no booked this property. Stayed at Le Meridian and loved it.
good call....
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: EBG, Hhonours Silver, Starwood Plat, Hertz#1 Gold Five Star, Sixt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by saad
I diden't and that was my mistake, I just assumed based on the brand and the rate that I would at least get a tolerable room.

But of course everybody can make mistakes but I have learned that next time i will check this site before make a booking on a hotel where i haven't stayed before.

Next time it will be the le Meridien.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Soo... I have booked on points an executive twin room. I may have a friend crashing over with me, depending on how late the party goes on to , so don't want a double bed.

It sounds like I should expect a nice, renovated room? Is that right?

I'm SPG Plat, I guess I should refuse an upgrade if I am offered one?

(I like the Meridien down the road but it doesn't seem to have twin rooms available.)
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
Originally Posted by typical
Soo... I have booked on points an executive twin room. I may have a friend crashing over with me, depending on how late the party goes on to , so don't want a double bed.
Based on my stay back in May, the room may be made up as a king bed (two twins stuck together). You'll have to get housekeeping to separate the beds and make them up again with twin sheets, so you should probably plan on getting this done when you check in rather than after your night of partying.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)

It sounds like I should expect a nice, renovated room? Is that right?

I'm SPG Plat, I guess I should refuse an upgrade if I am offered one?
You should get a decent renovated room as I believe all of the Executive rooms were refurbished. Refusing an upgrade would depend on the upgrade. The Studio Suites in particular can be rather clapped out. They typically will only have one bed as well, although a few of the larger suites will have a sofa in the living room that can be made up as a bed.

The Le Meridien has some twin Queen Classic and Deluxe rooms, but they can be quite small. The Junior Suites which are available for a small increase in points have a king bed, with a sofa bed option as well, so that might be worth considering.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to you both. Good tip on the "king" - one of my pet peeves that, when I want a real king bed anyway!

Le Meridien doesn't seem to have any of its twin queens available even for cash on the night concerned.

Both of us are tall enough to make the idea of a sofa bed somewhat suspect, but I'll keep it in mind... thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)

Le Meridien doesn't seem to have any of its twin queens available even for cash on the night concerned.

Both of us are tall enough to make the idea of a sofa bed somewhat suspect, but I'll keep it in mind... thanks!
Have you tried calling the Platinum Concierge to ask if they have any twin queens available? Even if they can't access them, they can put a call in to the hotel to try to get the rooms released. The LM often has these rooms hidden from the main inventory, but available via a corporate rate search.

As for the sofa beds - ok if you are 6' tall, but a couple of inches above that won't be too fun!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAPC
Have you tried calling the Platinum Concierge to ask if they have any twin queens available? Even if they can't access them, they can put a call in to the hotel to try to get the rooms released. The LM often has these rooms hidden from the main inventory, but available via a corporate rate search.

As for the sofa beds - ok if you are 6' tall, but a couple of inches above that won't be too fun!
They called through but no joy. A real shame - I really like that hotel, and the pool and club room would be significant draws.

Will keep monitoring that and the Hyatt Churchill to see if availability changes.

And as I said, tall
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:24 am
Suspended

A couple points:

- They don't take car transfer reservations by phone. You have to call them, then they give you and email address to email your request. Just a nuisance.

- Checking in at 11am (I'm SPG Plat) and told "we aren't do check-ins until 3pm today." I said "you mean the room won't be ready?" and I got a "yes."

"Has anybody checked out this morning?" "I can't tell you." Anyway, waited about an hour came back and after a song and dance asked to talk to a manager and got a room in 90 seconds.

- Renovated room is nice. One lightbulb that was out was never replaced over four days.

- Won't take reservations for breakfast.

- Waited about 10 minutes in the lobby lounge for coffee and went to the host in the breakfast room: "We only have one person and she is busy."

Good location, and very good pricing, but the hotel has a real "can't do" attitude for the most part.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Good location, and very good pricing, but the hotel has a real "can't do" attitude for the most part.
unfortunate but true....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.