Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
A bunch of rather intemperate and unneccessarily personal and off-topic exchanges had to be removed from this thread.

Please endeavour to post to the topic and with civility.

/mod
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:55 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I was down the same path. You are being way to easy on the property. My concern was a tenth compared to yours. You mess with my mom and more than what you have done would have been brought down. My final satisfaction came from Starwood not the property. Hold your ground and get them to send mom some flowers. They can also treat her to a nice Mother's Day Brunch with the GM waiting your table. I am disgusted with their attitude of treating people poorly and solely as a revenue source lacking any common sense or compassion. If you were trying to alert others that has been done. Time to take care of mom and lower your frustration level.
Thanks. I really appreciate the response.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I was down the same path. You are being way to easy on the property. My concern was a tenth compared to yours. You mess with my mom and more than what you have done would have been brought down. My final satisfaction came from Starwood not the property. Hold your ground and get them to send mom some flowers. They can also treat her to a nice Mother's Day Brunch with the GM waiting your table. I am disgusted with their attitude of treating people poorly and solely as a revenue source lacking any common sense or compassion. If you were trying to alert others that has been done. Time to take care of mom and lower your frustration level.
This is way over the top over-entitled. I mean - the hotel has no obligation to show "compassion" - they sell hotel rooms - the poster tried to check in prior to check in time (why do people gloss over that). They don't owe flowers - they don't owe a mothers day lunch - they already responded and said it is what it is - the room wasn't ready. The don't owe anything.

The op should have called the hotel before putting mom in the car to verify the room was ready. A simple phone call would have avoided the entire issue. Just showing up and stating I'm here! Before check-in time! Let me have my room! And then getting upset it isn't ready is really a don't you know who I am moment.

Why put the hotel in this awkward position of compassion - they run a business. This falls squarly on the op's shoulder and could have been avoided.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
[QUOTE=Oxon Flyer;20551978]A bunch of rather intemperate and unneccessarily personal and off-topic exchanges had to be removed from this thread.

But thats always the most entertaining stuff!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:52 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
This is way over the top over-entitled. I mean - the hotel has no obligation to show "compassion" - they sell hotel rooms - the poster tried to check in prior to check in time (why do people gloss over that). They don't owe flowers - they don't owe a mothers day lunch - they already responded and said it is what it is - the room wasn't ready. The don't owe anything.

The op should have called the hotel before putting mom in the car to verify the room was ready. A simple phone call would have avoided the entire issue. Just showing up and stating I'm here! Before check-in time! Let me have my room! And then getting upset it isn't ready is really a don't you know who I am moment.

Why put the hotel in this awkward position of compassion - they run a business. This falls squarly on the op's shoulder and could have been avoided.
This is the "hospitality" business. Those of us that stay at hotels a lot are used to a higher degree of hospitality than the average Joe.

The OP did coordinate with the hotel as the notes in the reservation clearly showed. The OP had every right to assume it would be ready at 2PM. Your24 is a service that Starwood provides which also enables someone to check-in at non-standard times and this doesn't conflict with the 4PM check-out. End of the day, the hotel failed to deliver here. The OP did what they should have done, what I would have done, what most of the folks here who stay extensively at hotels would have done.

When I ask an employee to have a report ready next Wednesday, I shouldn't need to ask them every day if it will be ready on Wednesday. I shouldn't need to ask them on Tuesday if it will be ready the next day. We agreed to something. End of story.

The notes in the reservation showed that the hotel knew it was to be ready by 2PM. It wasn't. They had suites available, at a higher category. They easily could have given the OP one of those suites, even just for the night. But they didn't. They failed to remember what hospitality is about. They failed to remember that they had a "guest" in front of them. Not a customer. The OPs post could have been raving about the wonderful service they received at the SOTP. Instead it points to staff who are not willing to g the extra mile, not looking beyond the training manual and not endearing themselves on guests. Sadly this is not the first time in the past year that I'm hearing about poor guest treatment at this property. The hotel failed and while no compensation would make up for the experience, some sort of goodwill is definitely in order.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K
Sheraton On The Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Last year, I had an awful experience with this property.
As a platinum, I get 2 pieces pressing per stay. And one week, when I got it back, there is a hole on my sweater. And when I went downstairs and asking them to investigate, the first thing the hotel manager asked me is where I bought the sweater. I said David jones. And I didn't want to take the sweater back until they finish investigating. Up on my return on the following week, the first thing the hotel manager told me 'we have very good relationship with David jones across the road and they mentioned they have never seen this one. ' seriously? Is that what the duty manager has been doing all that week? I mean I have spent about 50 nights at that hotel on a above their BAR corporate rate, if I want to pull something, don't you think I would do that earlier? And I had reservations in the following weeks as well!!!

At the point, I just lost it. I refused to talk to that manager and open a case file directly with SPG and demanding a response from the GM.
To the GM's credit, he was VERY helpful and try to find a resolution. The attitude is completely different from the manager. One thing in common is that the hotel staffs (since I have been staying there a lot, I know some front desk agents) mentioned he has been working in the hotel for quite a while and handle things well. Really? If it was not the GM, I don't think he would reach any resolution with me.

They always try to find a way to say its your fault. Your fault for giving the sweater to us, your fault for doing the free pressing, your fault that the sweater has a hole... Right, my time is so much better spent arguing with a duty manager... For his credit, he even mentioned I have signed a waiver (which I didn't, but he kept saying I should have... Lol... Then can't provide paperwork that has my signature... Because I never signed anything....)

For this hotel, go to the GM. Don't bother with front desk managers.

Also, the club manager, one day they ran out of oysters in the club (just don't have them up there on a Sunday) and when I asked about it, they mentioned they don't have any in the hotel. I said that's interesting as I am sure downstairs buffet have them. Then she told me they get the oyster from different suppliers? Really? Oyster from two different suppliers for the same hotel? Interestingly, i mentioned this to the GM when I was talking to him about the sweater, he said 'we got that from the same supplier... They should have them up there on the weekend!!!' So lies from club manager!!!

Well, there are also noise from next door construction - the manager refused to move me at first... Then after I submit a complaint to spg, then offered to move me at 1am!!! Including packing my bags and everything and move to a new room!!! After I went down and talked to someone for 5 mins, they offered me a second room to sleep for the night and kept my staff in the other room and move the next day.

Well, enough said... Nevertheless, the GM is very helpful and nice in that hotel. Only of the staffs are half as helpful as him... Sarah in the lounge are friendly too. They are not all bad but it just seems everyone I know runs into one of not so helpful ones...
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

You really should just put down the shovel.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by yucci18
Last year, I had an awful experience with this property.
As a platinum, I get 2 pieces pressing per stay. And one week, when I got it back, there is a hole on my sweater. And when I went downstairs and asking them to investigate, the first thing the hotel manager asked me is where I bought the sweater. I said David jones. And I didn't want to take the sweater back until they finish investigating. Up on my return on the following week, the first thing the hotel manager told me 'we have very good relationship with David jones across the road and they mentioned they have never seen this one. ' seriously? Is that what the duty manager has been doing all that week? I mean I have spent about 50 nights at that hotel on a above their BAR corporate rate, if I want to pull something, don't you think I would do that earlier? And I had reservations in the following weeks as well!!!

At the point, I just lost it. I refused to talk to that manager and open a case file directly with SPG and demanding a response from the GM.
To the GM's credit, he was VERY helpful and try to find a resolution. The attitude is completely different from the manager. One thing in common is that the hotel staffs (since I have been staying there a lot, I know some front desk agents) mentioned he has been working in the hotel for quite a while and handle things well. Really? If it was not the GM, I don't think he would reach any resolution with me.

They always try to find a way to say its your fault. Your fault for giving the sweater to us, your fault for doing the free pressing, your fault that the sweater has a hole... Right, my time is so much better spent arguing with a duty manager... For his credit, he even mentioned I have signed a waiver (which I didn't, but he kept saying I should have... Lol... Then can't provide paperwork that has my signature... Because I never signed anything....)

For this hotel, go to the GM. Don't bother with front desk managers.

Also, the club manager, one day they ran out of oysters in the club (just don't have them up there on a Sunday) and when I asked about it, they mentioned they don't have any in the hotel. I said that's interesting as I am sure downstairs buffet have them. Then she told me they get the oyster from different suppliers? Really? Oyster from two different suppliers for the same hotel? Interestingly, i mentioned this to the GM when I was talking to him about the sweater, he said 'we got that from the same supplier... They should have them up there on the weekend!!!' So lies from club manager!!!

Well, there are also noise from next door construction - the manager refused to move me at first... Then after I submit a complaint to spg, then offered to move me at 1am!!! Including packing my bags and everything and move to a new room!!! After I went down and talked to someone for 5 mins, they offered me a second room to sleep for the night and kept my staff in the other room and move the next day.

Well, enough said... Nevertheless, the GM is very helpful and nice in that hotel. Only of the staffs are half as helpful as him... Sarah in the lounge are friendly too. They are not all bad but it just seems everyone I know runs into one of not so helpful ones...
I think we have enough experiences here that everyone should stay AWAY from this property...
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
This is the "hospitality" business. Those of us that stay at hotels a lot are used to a higher degree of hospitality than the average Joe.

The OP did coordinate with the hotel as the notes in the reservation clearly showed. The OP had every right to assume it would be ready at 2PM. Your24 is a service that Starwood provides which also enables someone to check-in at non-standard times and this doesn't conflict with the 4PM check-out. End of the day, the hotel failed to deliver here. The OP did what they should have done, what I would have done, what most of the folks here who stay extensively at hotels would have done.

When I ask an employee to have a report ready next Wednesday, I shouldn't need to ask them every day if it will be ready on Wednesday. I shouldn't need to ask them on Tuesday if it will be ready the next day. We agreed to something. End of story.

The notes in the reservation showed that the hotel knew it was to be ready by 2PM. It wasn't. They had suites available, at a higher category. They easily could have given the OP one of those suites, even just for the night. But they didn't. They failed to remember what hospitality is about. They failed to remember that they had a "guest" in front of them. Not a customer. The OPs post could have been raving about the wonderful service they received at the SOTP. Instead it points to staff who are not willing to g the extra mile, not looking beyond the training manual and not endearing themselves on guests. Sadly this is not the first time in the past year that I'm hearing about poor guest treatment at this property. The hotel failed and while no compensation would make up for the experience, some sort of goodwill is definitely in order.
Well said. As usual. My view as well.

Cheers,
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by rooivalk
I think we have enough experiences here that everyone should stay AWAY from this property...
I've actually had really good experiences at this property. It's a shame if things have deteriorated since I was last there a couple years ago.

Cheers,
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flews
Originally Posted by rooivalk
I've actually had really good experiences at this property. It's a shame if things have deteriorated since I was last there a couple years ago.

Cheers,
It is a shame indeed. The lounge and view from the higher floor facing the park is great. The lounge as others mentioned, it's one of the best out there.

And the service is okay - mainly the managers. What's wrong with them?

Maybe the GM needs to give all of them a lesson on customer service!!!

Also, be careful about bottle water - I am a platinum. When the bottle was not delivered to my room and I requested it, the guy tried to charge me for it. Then as soon as I mentioned I am going to talk to one of the managers about charging platinum for free bottle water, he left. Seriously...
Do they want us all to go to the lounge and take the bottle water?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Not yet. I received an excellent response from Platinum Liaison within 24 hours of my initial email. I received a call today ( not from the GM as Platinum Liaison said would, but rather the Rooms Manager) and we spoke. He spoke of how many Platinums were in the night before (in fact he said my room may not have been ready 'til 5PM realistically), but I told him that the main concern was the lack of empathy, compassion and either staff member going out of their way.

He iterated that the Front Desk Manager has been with the hotel for 10 years, and is respected by the hotel. I suggested they may wish to reflect on the incident, again.

He did sound concerned, but I feel that the matter remains unresolved.

He did email me afterwards and his email said he does believe his staff did all they could. I'm very disappointed because during the conversation I said that, in hindsight, they could have given me another room, even a base room and move us afterwards, or given the Terrace Suite without the upsell. It was only 1 category higher, and especially since the 2PM request was not met. I said that I do not work in hotels, not know what options they could have come up with, but they are 2 options they could have offered given the gravity of the situation. I thus object to his statement.

He did say that the regional manager of *wood was aware of the incident. Whether this was due a fellow FT, or Platinum Liaison, thank you.

I have now left it to the Rooms Manager at the hotel to decide what recovery will be provided. Given that my mother will have more treatment I may give them the opportunity to rectify this issue, but I'm likely to book the Park Hyatt Sydney in future.

It's reflective of the property that Platinum Liaison and *wood's interaction thus far has far outweighed theirs.
Has this been resolved yet?

Also I would like to ask what the club lounge options are during canapés with the no children allowed policy over that period?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:51 pm

Do the rooms here have US compatible power outlets?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by gomike
Do the rooms here have US compatible power outlets?
No, but they do have a universal adapter plug in each room in a drawer near the minibar. If you keep the plug, you will be charged about 3 times what they cost at an electronics store. The plug is all you need to recharge a mobile phone or laptop. But you will need an additional power converter for a curling iron or hair dryer.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:02 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Maybe they're quiet or maybe they listen. Great stay last week. Upg to exec Suite for 2 nights. Good breakfast, best club in Sydney. Good recognition. Club manager tracked me down to welcome me - I have stayed away for some months. Had a problem with the parking card and was not charged.

Only good things to say, this time. I will compare with Westin, next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.