Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney World Swan - Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Woodsmit
Late Checkout Policy

Late Checkouts are subject to availability. Please note the following fees:

Between 11am and 12pm: Complimentary
Between 12pm and 2pm: 40 USD + tax
Between 2pm and 4pm: 99 USD + tax
After 4pm: One night room rate, tax and Resort Fee

Resort Fee

The resort has a mandatory 25 USD per day Resort Fee plus taxes. The Resort Fee covers in-room High Speed Internet Access, 2 bottles of water daily, unlimited access to full-service health club, unlimited domestic long distance (US mainland) and local calls, tennis equipment and access to the lighted courts, seasonal pool access and recreational activities. The Resort Fee was waived for SPG Platinums for reservations made prior to December 6th 2016, but the Resort Fee will be applied to subsequent SPG Platinum guest reservations at a slightly reduced rate of $20 per day.
Print Wikipost

Walt Disney World Swan - Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2004, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ormsby2003:
This stresses me out. We're going to the Swan and since they don't give upgrades to Gold members to CL anymore (only Platinum) I wanted to upgrade with points.....however, I was told I have to wait until 5 days prior to checkin to do so to check for availability. Why is my question? I'm Gold status (I know that doesn't often mean much....) but how is it that I am not even entitled to BUY my way into the CL. To be frank, I can stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for roughly the same amount as the Swan...and if I can't upgrade to be able to use the CL (I only care about the convenience of dropping by for breakfast, not the rooms frankly...my husband is cranky until he eats....so I'd pay alot more in pts than they ask) then I'll be tempted to jump ship.

Secondly, are the CL rooms at the Swan nicer than normal rooms anyway? Heck, I can make my own dinner reservations.
</font>
I'm sure that they would allow you to reserve club level since you are willing to "BUY" it. But, if you are wanting to use POINTS instead of paying CASH for it, you must wait until five days out. :-)

Old Jan 15, 2004, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Stayed on the CL of the Swan in October. It's the only time i've stayed there, but I can't see how the rooms are any different to those on the other floors, given the very box-like (OK, so it's got a curved roof) shape of the property.

Also, was surprised to see no slippers/robes in the rooms.

The ability to grab breakfast was essentially worth the extra we paid, but we did get a very good rate. (All rooms have a coffee maker in them.) If you're really keen to stay on the CL, then it might be worth doing some shopping around of rates and seeing if you can then get the Best Rate Guarantee invoked.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 4:33 am

Programs: CO Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Presidents
I'd stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Being able to watch the animals from the balcony of your room is really great.

They have a CL there too btw.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 5:34 am

They even treat Plat. like crap here. The rooms on the cl r definately not any better than a regular room. I have been to the swan & dolphin, probably 6 times over the last 3-4 years and get nothing better than anyone else. U want something pay for it. If it wasnt for easy of transp. & a couple of other reasons I would take my business elsewhere.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just wanted to back up lstigt, I think the Swan is probably the best located property on site for access to the parks, especially given the price.

The Animal Kingdom place does sound fun, but it strikes me that it'd be a pain in the a** to get to and from.... A| midday swim would be almost out of the question.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ormsby2003:
...To be frank, I can stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for roughly the same amount as the Swan...</font>
I hate to tell you this but I just spent 3 nights at the Grand Floridian for about $300/night including tax. No points or miles or status nights in it for me but it's still my favorite hotel anywhere.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 1:37 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
You have to wait five days before arrival on a paid rate because that is what the Terms and Conditions of Membership state:

5. Preferred Guests may use Starpoints for Specialty Room, Specialty Select Room, or Suite upgrades in advance. Advanced upgrade only awards may be used when paying any eligible rate. All Advanced Upgrade Awards may only be confirmed within five days of arrival. Advanced Upgrade Awards are based on a designated point value per night. A Suite upgrade is to a room designated by the hotel as a suite. A Specialty Room is defined as a Club Room, Westin Guest Office, Corporate Club Room, Smart Room or a room on a floor designated as Tower or Executive Club, which may include Club Lounge Services or Concierge Services. A Specialty Select Room is either a room on a Towers floor, a mini-suite, or an executive suite. Not all Starwood properties offer Specialty Rooms or Specialty Select Rooms. In some resort locations where these room types are not available, upgraded rooms will be based on preferred view or room styles offered.

Tons of information in those Terms and Conditions. Very much recommended reading.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 18, 2004, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm afraid you're stuck here. Either pony up the extra cash for the club level or wait unitl five days out.

If you're at all tempted by the AKL, then go for it. It is a superior location to the Swan/Dolphin in all ways except two: convenience of the location, and ability to earn points. You can take care of that first one by checking out rooms at the Boardwalk, Yacht Club, or Beach Club (each of which also offer concierge service).

------------------
CO plat, UA prem; Marriott plat, Hyatt plat, Hilton gold, Starwood gold, Fairmont gold; Avis select, Hertz 5-star, all the others base level...
Old Jan 18, 2004, 9:19 pm

We've stayed at the Swan twice and one time at the Dolphin. They had great Platinum recognition when I was there. We were assigned a Jr. Suite the first time, and a full 1 br suite the second time. I think we were on Cash and Points both times we went.

They upgraded me to a corner room even though I was on a $65 priceline rate.

I think you can't really compare these to the top Disney hotels. The rates are totally different (less), plus you get points, and chances at free upgrades based on status.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 7:04 pm

"They upgraded me to a corner room even though I was on a $65 priceline rate."

But now you don't get SPG points or upgrades based on your SPG status if you book your room through PRICELINE right? I've never booked a hotel through priceline. Did you have some idea that it was indeed the DOLPHIN that you were booking? I am a real novice at getting "deals" online. The extent of my deals is asking for the AAA rate or entertainment rate which always makes me feel like some sort of second class beggar or something....

Old Jan 19, 2004, 10:35 pm

"They upgraded me to a corner room even though I was on a $65 priceline rate."

But now you don't get SPG points or upgrades based on your SPG status if you book your room through PRICELINE right? I've never booked a hotel through priceline. Did you have some idea that it was indeed the DOLPHIN that you were booking? I am a real novice at getting "deals" online. The extent of my deals is asking for the AAA rate or entertainment rate which always makes me feel like some sort of second class beggar or something....

</font>
Sorry, you are correct. My stay was in 2003 when they still honored status on priceline rates.

At the time I booked, www.biddingfortravel.com showed that for a $65 bid, WDW area, Resort level, would most likely get the Dolphin or Swan. I took a chance, but since it was just me for the night, the exact location didn't matter much.

In addition to www.biddingfortravel.com I would also take a look at www.mousesavers.com

Because of this change in priceline policy, all of our paid personal stays so far and planned this year will be at Hyatt. Not only do they have the Faster Free Nights promotion, but they provide full benefits to their Diamond members on priceline / hotwire rates.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:26 pm

WDW Swan

Ok
I plan to stay at the Swan 1/1/04 - 1/7/04. I plan to book two nights with points, and pay for the rest. The AAA rate of 162.50 strikes me as pretty good for an on property Disney hotel. That said, I have a few questions.

As I'll have to make 2 seperate reservations, will the order of the reservations matter? Would it be more beneficial to book the point or cash stay first?

If I get upgraded as a gold when I check in, will I have to move later in the stay, when I convert to award nights?

Just curious, as I usually amass points in programs and then forget about them, I've not much experience with these things...

------------------
SPG Gold (and thats about it)
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:30 pm

I stayed there last year. I hate to tell you this, I got the hotel on priceline for about $60. I did not ask them for upgrade!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:44 pm

Well, I'm not willing to risk priceline, for fear of being placed outside of the park....

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MSP2000:
I stayed there last year. I hate to tell you this, I got the hotel on priceline for about $60. I did not ask them for upgrade!</font>
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

My advice is that you contact the hotel directly.

I am a platinum. For Christmas, I gave my sister and her family a five-day trip to Disney World. I used my starpoints to pay for the room. To ensure there were no problems, since I wouldn't be staying in the hotel, I called the hotel and asked for the front office manager. I explained that my points were being used for her reservation, but I wasn't staying there; and asked to have any potential upgrades/benefits given at check-in. The hotel did NOT have to do this, since I wasn't staying there, but they couldn't have been nicer.

At check-in, they were upgraded to a larger, lake-view room and given access to the lounge. She said she was treated very well. A simple polite chat with someone at the hotel after your reservation, and then shortly prior to your arrival, can go a long way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.