Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Libertador, Buenos Aires, Argentina [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
HOTEL DEFLAGGED. No Marriott Bonvoy benefits.

Club Lounge Hours

(As of Sept 2017)

Breakfast
Everyday: 7 AM - 11 AM

Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks
Monday - Friday: 12:30 PM - 11 PM
Saturday - Sunday: 3 PM - 9 PM

Wine by the glass and hors d'oeuvres
Everyday: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Libertador, Buenos Aires, Argentina [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:18 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I'm looking at 3 nights in Buenos Aires next weekend, the 16th to the 19th. The Libertador has a promo for $149/night, including breakfast, internet, health club/pool access, late check-out, and dinner for two on one of the nights. Seems decent, especially when comparing to other hotels--these prices are for room only: Sheraton BsAs is $181, Park Tower $215, HIX $165, Inter-Continental $169, etc)
So anyway I'm leaning toward the Sheraton Libertador even with the middling reviews here as well at at TripAdvisor.
Any recent Platinum experiences to share?
Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:25 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Libertador in February 2008. I found the hotel to be dirty, unkept, and the rooms to be very 1970's. I wouldn't stay there again. The location is ideal, but other than that, this hotel is not nice by any stretch of the imagination. In my opinion, the Marriott Plaza is MUCH nicer than this hotel and located right on Ave. Florida.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by dg4255
I stayed at the Libertador in February 2008. I found the hotel to be dirty, unkept, and the rooms to be very 1970's. I wouldn't stay there again. The location is ideal, but other than that, this hotel is not nice by any stretch of the imagination. In my opinion, the Marriott Plaza is MUCH nicer than this hotel and located right on Ave. Florida.
OK thanks. Yuck. Not so many good choices for that time--so I'm still thinking the Libertador is better, saving about $70/night over the IC, Hilton, and Sheraton BsAs.
How is the gym at the Libertador? The one at the Sheraton BsAs is fantastic... so I'm guessing the one at the Libertador is... not.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kyushuman
OK thanks. Yuck. Not so many good choices for that time--so I'm still thinking the Libertador is better, saving about $70/night over the IC, Hilton, and Sheraton BsAs.
How is the gym at the Libertador? The one at the Sheraton BsAs is fantastic... so I'm guessing the one at the Libertador is... not.
"Not" would be a good analysis. There's a rickety old universal machine, and a few mills of tread, or similar. At least it is up on the roof level w/pool area.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: Starwood, Amex Rewards, Hilton
I was there last week and it was fine

I was there on August 3rd for one night. Arrived around 11:00 am and had my room by 12:00. Staff was very nice and quite helpful. Received a voucher for 1 hr. wireless access in the lobby. Upgraded to club floor as a gold, which was nice, but only got a coke from the lounge. Main difference was a king bed vs. 2 standard.

The room was clean and updated, absolutely no problems there. Carpet and hallways were also clean and updated. I did not go to the gym, so cannot comment there, but I did walk for a few hours around the hotel seeing the sights.

My stay was very positive and I would recommend the hotel, especially at the promo price quoted above.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Buenos Aires offers poor choices among SPG with the Libertador being the worst.

Generally unhelpful, unpleasant staff and some dishonesty. Stayed 4 times in 2 years and would not return. There are many other choices in this price range and they offer better value for the money.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Hate to ask again but this never really got answered. Any idea if the hotel has electric adapters to lend for those of us from the US? One week away from CowDo and trying to nail down details.
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:12 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Adapters

Yes, they have adapters. Additional I will be bringing 2 adapters so you can borrow one if none are available thru the hotel.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 1:28 pm

Just finished a 2-night stay at the Libertador, after 1 night at the Sheraton BsAs, plus three Cash and points nights at SBA in July.
I can agree with the general consensus of the previous posts now: The Libertador is worse than the Sheraton, BUT actually I would stay at the SL again if their rates stay at the $119-139 range including breakfast, internet, and even a dinner for two (my rate was $149)-- since the SBA, at least on weeknights, hovers around $200, room only. Internet at the SBA is a breathtaking US$25/night, which can add up over a few days' stay.
SL vs. SBA:
Location: Slight edge to Libertador; closer to subway, Calle Florida shopping/walking street, but SBA is nearer to Recoleta. Neither can be said to have a great location.
Staff: SBA, by far. Evey staff member I dealt with at the SL seemed new to their job and unprofessional--still, they were unfailingly friendly. SBA is a business hotel--evidenced by the suits in the lobby and the decent club lounge. At both hotels, though, I had things that were included in my rate like breakfast, internet, etc charged to me--so you really do need to watch out there. Plus, at the SBA, they argued with me that in-room breakfast (to the tune of US$80 for two(!) is never included, that I had needed to eat it in the Club Lounge.... I forced him to read to me my rate inclusions, and of course then it was removed.
Club Lounge: SBA by a mile. Free booze at SBA; you have to pay (!) at SL, even for local drinks. Come on, wine costs US$4 for a drinkable wine in BsAs , and they're trying to charge $30 more per day for access to a lounge. It's tiny, not very welcoming, etc. SBA is quite professional, though food choices aren't going to impress many.
Plat Upgrades: In both hotels, on "standard room" paid stays, I was upgraded to Club Rooms--was told no suites were available at either one on any of the 6 nights I stayed in BsAs this summer. Not completely believeable: Both were selling suites/junior suites on spg.com during the late afternoons after I'd checked in. Replies when asked about that: SBA said these "weren't suites we can upgrade to", while SL said "All suites and junior suites have been taken by a large group though this weekend," which of course didn't explain how I could have reserved a suite at that moment for both nights......
Club Rooms: Because I was upgraded to the same room type, I can at least compare these type of rooms: Surprisingly, both my companion and I agreed that the SL had a better Club Room: better layout, much nicer furniture and decor, and a hugely better bathroom. The SBA, with an old-style TV in a huge, space-wasting entertainment center, had a shower that is designed to flood the entrire bathroom, every time you showered. SL had a Rain shower, and was well-designed and well-lit.
F&B: SBA by a long shot. SL's breakfast, included in the rate, was paltry, with standard-to-below-average food, not quickly refreshed..... SL's main breakfast restaurant wasn't even as good as SBA's Club Lounge offerings, which in turn weren't even that good. SL wasn't so busy, so maybe that's why (but I doubt it).
Gym: SBA by far. Excellent facility, with many local members, nice pool in summer, new machines, bright and airy. SL is depressing and has older equipment, though it has an indoor pool, which the SBA does not.
In-hotel costs: SL by a landslide! Room Service American breakfast at SBA? Umm... US$33 plus huge taxes and service fees. SL, only $13++. Internet, as mentioned before, is a staggering US$100 for a 4-night stay. That's quite an impressive markup, even for a 5* hotel. Somehow, the SL, with the same Internet provider, comes in at just over half the price.
Local calls? YIKES.... for calls to mobile phones, the SBA is US$2/minute (!), while the SL, just a few blocks away, charges 1/3 that.
FINAL VERDICT--three different scenarios:
A) If you're not paying and really want to stay in a Starwood Hotel in BsAs, then it's easy: The Sheraton BsAs. If you're on an award stay, it's even easier: They are both, amazingly, Level 3 hotels, and the SBA is usually available using Cash and points, while the SL is usually not.
B) If you're paying out of your own pocket and really want to be in a SPG hotel, then Sheraton Liberatdor, since the SBA isn't worth, to me, its rates of $250 when you include just internet and taxes on most weeknight rates. Weekends, at $155 vs. the Libertador's $119, are a wash to me, unless you plan on spending much time at the SBA's gym or in the Club Lounge. which might make up for the $40+ difference once taxes are included. On the weekend I was there, there was also a US$189 rate at SBA that included in-room breakfast, internet, and bottle of Champagne, so I splurged for the extra $34.
C) If you don't need to stay at a Starwood Property, then DON'T. So many excellent serviced apartments, for example the "Ayres" chain, are well-run, usually cheaper, in better locations, with newer facilities and good service. But actually there aren't that many hotels lower-priced than the Libertador--BsAs has gotten expensive and I'm guessing since the SL hasn't spent one dime on renovations, staff retention, etc, that's why their prices are essentially the same as they were in 2003, while most other places are up 50% or more!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by opushomes
Yes, they have adapters. Additional I will be bringing 2 adapters so you can borrow one if none are available thru the hotel.
Thanks opushomes! ^ See you there.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 3:29 pm
Suspended

C) If you don't need to stay at a Starwood Property, then DON'T. So many excellent serviced apartments, for example the "Ayres" chain, are well-run, usually cheaper, in better locations, with newer facilities and good service. But actually there aren't that many hotels lower-priced than the Libertador--BsAs has gotten expensive and I'm guessing since the SL hasn't spent one dime on renovations, staff retention, etc, that's why their prices are essentially the same as they were in 2003, while most other places are up 50% or more!
I fully agree with this. I was in BA in late April, and I was originally planning on staying in the Libertador for a week. Instead, I found a very beautiful 1 BR furnished apartment from a reliable agency that overlooked the Recoleta cemetery for $360 for the entire week. Buenos Aires right now probably has the biggest imbalance anywhere between the cost of hotels, and the cost of short term apartment rentals. Hotels are pretty well booked out, but there's a big glut of short term rental units. It's pretty easy to find a high quality 1 week rental for the cost of 2 nights in a decent hotel.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:10 am

Any very recent stays? For 7,000 points a nite--is that very reasonable?
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
....But actually there aren't that many hotels lower-priced than the Libertador--BsAs has gotten expensive and I'm guessing since the SL hasn't spent one dime on renovations, staff retention, etc, that's why their prices are essentially the same as they were in 2003, while most other places are up 50% or more!
(Bolding added)

Overall, I agree with your assessment of the two Sheratons. I've stayed in both; stayed at the Libertador three times, from 2005-2007, and the Sheraton BA once, in 2007.

However, your "guess" about renovations at the Libertador is incorrect. It definitely HAS undergone extensive room renovations, based on my own stays there. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise. But if you didn't see the rooms before --

As for "unprofessional" staff, I didn't experience that particularly. Maybe something happened between my last stay (last year) and your stay.

As for your suggestion to not stay in Sheratons at all in BA, well, some of us are always looking to requalify for elite status, AND the locations of both hotels are very, very handy. My usual drill at places like these is to book one night at a cheap cash rate (to get a qualifying stay in), and the rest of the nights on cash & points or points-only, depending on what is available and most cost-effective. Works for me.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
As for your suggestion to not stay in Sheratons at all in BA, well, some of us are always looking to requalify for elite status, AND the locations of both hotels are very, very handy. My usual drill at places like these is to book one night at a cheap cash rate (to get a qualifying stay in), and the rest of the nights on cash & points or points-only, depending on what is available and most cost-effective. Works for me.
Thanks for your comments.
You removed my caveat:
C) If you don't need to stay at a Starwood Property, then DON'T.
If you need stay credit or are using points because you don't want to spend any money, that is one thing.
I will say that Cash and Points at the other Sheraton (NOT the Libertador) is a pretty good deal, since they will upgrade a Plat to the Exec Floors (though never a suite in my 4 separate stays there).
That said, Serviced Apartments are really the way to go in BsAs for the time being, IMO.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Thanks for your comments.
You removed my caveat:
C) If you don't need to stay at a Starwood Property, then DON'T.
If you need stay credit or are using points because you don't want to spend any money, that is one thing.
I will say that Cash and Points at the other Sheraton (NOT the Libertador) is a pretty good deal, since they will upgrade a Plat to the Exec Floors (though never a suite in my 4 separate stays there).
That said, Serviced Apartments are really the way to go in BsAs for the time being, IMO.
Sorry that I didn't include that in my quote. Another reason (which I left out earlier) for staying at the SL (or even the Sheraton BA) is that when you're participating in a FlyerTalk get-together, and others are staying at the same hotel or fairly close by (such as at the Marriott -- kind of halfway between the two Sheratons!), it's very handy for meeting up, sharing taxis, etc. If I were on my own in BA, I might try some other chain hotel (such as the Hilton, which I've never tried), or a local hotel, or even an apartment as you (and others) have suggested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.