Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email Addresses (per Post 425)

Print Wikipost

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Blue Palace, Crete Greece [Master Thread]

At resort now for a 5 night stay after 2 nights in Athens at the Grande Bretagne and 3 nights in Oia at Mystique.

We booked the private Mercedes transfer with the hotel at a cost of 90 Euros and I personally feel it was a great choice. Friendly driver met us at the port in Heraklion since we were coming in via ferry from Santorini. Driver was very friendly and didn't drive like an idiot. On our drive to the resort a taxi passed us driving like an idiot. We then seemed to follow him all the way to the resort and a young couple that was in the cab checked in next to us at the resort. They said the taxi driver was a maniac driver. Fact your in a brand new Mercedes E Class also doesn't hurt vs being in a taxi...a much nicer ride.

Resort is completely sold out (confirmed via iPad app) and our attempt to use a SNA to get a Maisonette Suite was not successful prior to arrival. Since this stay was on an award, I figured we would be stuck in a regular room but was surprised when we were told that they did have a cancellation and thus could give us a Platinum upgrade to a room with a pool. Pool is not private as our neighbors have steps off their patio into the same pool but I think this is because of the location of the rooms at the end of a hallway.

Will add further details later with pics.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Lovely resort.

We were just in Eastern Crete and ate several times in Plaka. The best restaurant for lunch or dinner is the last one before the rock beach in town. It is large and can be quite touristy...but all the local Greeks were eating there and the food was good. Sit by the water and watch the boats head out to Spinalonga.... the coast there is beautiful.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:04 am

assistance required

I am planning a 3 night and 3 days stay at BP with my wife in late September.

Will this be enough time to see Crete considering the hotel's location? Or should I just plan to stick to Eastern Crete. Is this part scenic? We do not mind driving but would like to avoid if possible.

Any suggestion from people who have been at BP would be helpful.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:43 am

It is not nearly enough time to " see Crete". But there is plenty to do in Eastern Crete...made a little more difficult by your desire not to drive. That area of Mirabello Bay is gorgeous with scenic vistas, tavernas, great walking, and swimming. Lot's of archaeological sites by either bus or car. And good shopping in both Elounda and A. Nikolaos. I could easily spend 3 days just wandering between those three villages. ( Plaka,Elounda,A. Nikolaos)

You may experience some intense meltemi winds at the BP in September...the mountains and hills around Plaka seems to funnel them right at the resort.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by vikasr

Will this be enough time to see Crete considering the hotel's location? Or should I just plan to stick to Eastern Crete. Is this part scenic? We do not mind driving but would like to avoid if possible.
Crete is enormous for a three-day stay, but the major site at Knossos is only about one and a half hours away by car and well worth a visit. This site is much closer to the airport than to the hotel.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Here now--last night was our first of eight--and have very positive thoughts thus far. We were upgraded from a bungalow to a pool bungalow (SNA failed) but every category above the bungalows except the grand villa (~5k EUR/nt) is sold out, so can't complain.

The pool is not private in the sense of a "pool villa" that's fully enclosed and often includes a large pool deck and outdoor shower, but it is a clearly defined private space walled off from the pools next door. Given the east-facing location of the hillside, the small pool deck with 2 [ground] loungers does get sun all morning. And the view...

The hotel seems to do the little things right that really irk us if a hotel doesn't--simple things just like following up on a request even if the answer is no (we asked if an upgrade would be available mid-stay).

Breakfast this morning was a little smaller of a spread than we were hoping for at what is correctly described as a "luxury resort," but we'll certainly live. It has most of the essentials--bread, pastry, eggs, bacon, waffles, meats, cheeses, etc. but not a lot of wow factor like the buffet at W Hong Kong or St. Regis Bali, for instance. The juice I don't believe is fresh, and that's a little bit of a bummer.

Will obviously post full thoughts after 9 days, but after 1.5, so far, so good.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks DC777. We're visiting there in September, so really welcome any impressions and recommendations you end up with. Have a great time!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
DC777Fan, I'm arriving tomorrow, so will keep an eye out for any Flyertalk badges

I've booked one of the pool bungalows and don't expect any upgrades, but really looking forward to checking out the place!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
The juice I don't believe is fresh, and that's a little bit of a bummer.
I remember this from our stay several years ago...a lovely room service breakfast on our terrace by our pool. I have a picture of the food tray and the OJ had separated ( not in a good way) and the top of the glass was covered by a little piece of plastic wrap. It was a weird presentation and clearly had been prepared the night before for fast multiple deliveries the next morning.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
DC777Fan, I'm arriving tomorrow, so will keep an eye out for any Flyertalk badges

I've booked one of the pool bungalows and don't expect any upgrades, but really looking forward to checking out the place!
Let me know if you're in the 301-306 bank, as we'll be neighbors! I think at least 2 of the 6 bungalows on this bank are unoccupied as of today (so decent chance, I guess), but they could also just be occupied by folks who aren't too keen on using the pool...
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I think at least 2 of the 6 bungalows on this bank are unoccupied as of today (so decent chance, I guess), but they could also just be occupied by folks who aren't too keen on using the pool...
When we were there the hotel was sold out and I only ever saw one person in our row of rooms swimming in their private pool....so I wouldn't use that as a reference point for the likely occupancy of rooms and upgrade chances.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
When we were there the hotel was sold out and I only ever saw one person in our row of rooms swimming in their private pool....so I wouldn't use that as a reference point for the likely occupancy of rooms and upgrade chances.
When we were there 4 years ago we were upgraded to a room with a private pool....the water is unheated and FREEZING.

No wonder no one goes in them.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by david4455
When we were there 4 years ago we were upgraded to a room with a private pool....the water is unheated and FREEZING.

No wonder no one goes in them.
They're heated now ... and to the perfect temperature I might add. Refreshing but not freezing.

Also... for those looking to manufacture a few SPG points while you're here: The front desk will, without surcharge, give you cash and charge the amount to your room. I'm really ticked I'm only finding out about this on day 6 of our trip...
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: LH/*A Gold, BA/OW Emerald, EK Silver, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Just spent a week there, very nice resort.
Free upgrade to a suite with own pool, very friendly staff. The resort could be a bit smaller.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by hoteltraum
The resort could be a bit smaller.
The resort caused huge controversy when it was first built because of its size. That area, just a decade ago, was pretty rural, with an occasional villa dotting the landscape of olive and carob groves and only 3 small restaurants in the village of Plaka. Even though they did a great job of using local stone...it's sprawling size down the hill changed the landscape of that area for ever. (It's omnipresent size is often the first comment in guide books.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.