Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email Addresses (per Post 425)

Print Wikipost

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:52 pm

Was there last October and drove the same route you are considering. Took the main highway almost to Agios Nikolaous and then turned north to the hotel. I recall there being construction with well posted detour signs on the main highway (when heading east), but do not recall about the other direction. Best to ask the rental car facility.

Originally Posted by staylor9
My husband and I are traveling to Blue Palace in just under two weeks. :-) We are renting a car at Heraklion to drive to the hotel. I have directions and also plan to use our navigation app on our phone, but for those who have done it I have a few questions.
1) My directions route me off E75/90 before Stalida and put me on a much smaller road for a bit before rejoining E75/90. I think it is because there is a portion of hte highway that isn't complete or something, but I wanted to confirm.
2) The directions have us getting off E75/90 near Neapoli and taking smaller roads the rest of the way. The directions have me going north and coming down to Blue Palace through Plake, but I also noticed there is another route that goes through Elounda before heading up to Plaka. Any thoughts on those two roads? I think it is either taking Epar. Od. Agio Nikolaou - Vrouchas up to Plaka or stayng on Epar. Od. Fournis-Elountas towards Elounda.

I saw on the SPG site that they recommend going to Agios Nikolaus and then heading up. I think that is just to stay on bigger roads longer, but would you all recommend that or do you think my other routes are OK?

And, are there any fun places to stop along the way that you'd recommend?

Thanks!
Susan
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:19 pm

Location: Washington, DC, USA : Starwood Gold, DL- no more :-(
Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it. If anyone else happens to see this and has any other opinions, I'd be happy to hear them

And, good point about roads around the US. I personally do live in a major city, but have plenty of experience navigating unknown roads in smaller areas of the US. The whole language difference will certainly add a new challenge for us, but we should be fine. We survived driving from Rome to Florence...albeit we joke now that it was a marriage tester. Getting out of Rome was interesting since all the road signs are on the side of buildings, so by the time you see them you are past them. Anyhow, we joke about that now, but it was a bit of a heated car ride at times. We learned a lot that time though and also didn't have navigation like we will this time, so I'm sure it will be much different.

Thanks again everyone! So glad I found Flyertalk so many years ago. Y'all have always provided such good input!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:46 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I never rent a car on vacation, but I did an exception in Crete since the driving conditions there seemed quite good. I ventured out from the Chania area to visit the Blue Palace. The roads from Chania to Heraklion are freshly paved and it's a pleasant drive. There isn't much traffic on roads and unless you venture up to the mountaneous areas, driving there is pretty enjoyable.

Having said that I ended up turning back to Chania before the Blue Palace as it was getting dark and road lighting isn't that great.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP-6MM; Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
Sorry, but are you from someplace like Orange County where the roads are double wide and there are traffic lights everywhere? There are countless places in the rest of the US and the developed world were the roads are exactly the same or worse than the roads on the island of Crete. It's not crazy at all, IMHO.
Actually DFW, but did live in Orange County. All I know is that sitting in the back of a big Mercedes, I was white knuckling the armrest. Fascinating how they (the Greeks) can turn a narrow two lane road into three lanes and doing so at 120kmph.

IMHO, it was definitely worth the price and lack of hassle to just hire a car. I did not see a need to have a car while staying at the Blue Palace.

One other tip aside from driving, arrange for a picnic lunch and one of the boats to go over to Spinalonga. Makes for a nice afternoon. Another point, order a picnic lunch for one. Not only will it save you $$, but the basket the BP prepared for my wife and I was way too much food. We would up giving half of it away.

Also, nice touches from the BP included very nice Cretian wines, olive oil and a book about Spinalonga (fascinating story).
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jemctag
Actually DFW, but did live in Orange County. All I know is that sitting in the back of a big Mercedes, I was white knuckling the armrest. Fascinating how they (the Greeks) can turn a narrow two lane road into three lanes and doing so at 120kmph.

IMHO, it was definitely worth the price and lack of hassle to just hire a car. I did not see a need to have a car while staying at the Blue Palace.
I am the first person to look for transportation options cheaper than a private car. We live, drive, and street park in and around NYC. Neither of us will drive in Europe, especially Greece. I had read on here how easy the drive to Blue Palace is, but once we got there, I agree with you and was very glad someone else drove us there.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:24 am

Location: Washington, DC, USA : Starwood Gold, DL- no more :-(
Originally Posted by sent
Neither of us will drive in Europe, especially Greece.
Why do you say that? Is it just as the other person had commented that they drive fast and change lanes or pass people when they shouldn't? Or is there something else?

We drove in Italy when we were there last time and it was challenging, but we managed...and that was before we had navigation to at least help find our way.

Another thing I'm wondering is if the road traffic varies based on what time of year you're there. We're going in a week and, from what I've heard, it's a much quieter time to be on the island versus in August for example.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Oh, and any last suggestions on best routes to attempt for additional upgrade? I'm SPG gold, so I don't have much in the way of expectations. I paid for the upgrade into the Bungalow with private infinity pool, but wasn't sure if emailing the hotel this Friday (we arrive next Wednesday) would be the best approach or if something else woudl be better. I'm trying to work the 10 year anniversary angle.

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Oh, and any last suggestions on best routes to attempt for additional upgrade? I'm SPG gold, so I don't have much in the way of expectations. I paid for the upgrade into the Bungalow with private infinity pool, but wasn't sure if emailing the hotel this Friday (we arrive next Wednesday) would be the best approach or if something else woudl be better. I'm trying to work the 10 year anniversary angle.
IMO the best angle is to very kindly and politely negotiate a better room at check in. That said if you have a Bungalow you should be very happy.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:39 am

Why do you say that? Is it just as the other person had commented that they drive fast and change lanes or pass people when they shouldn't? Or is there something else?

We drove in Italy when we were there last time and it was challenging, but we managed...and that was before we had navigation to at least help find our way.
Yes, mainly because we are not used to the local driving customs and driving signs there. We also don't have cell phones that work internationally should something happen on the road. If something does happen, we are not prepared for the language barrier that may arise when dealing with the situation.
When we went to Blue Palace, there was a taxi strike so I thought for a moment that we were going to have no other option but drive in which case I would have. But we were able to buy a calling card and call the hotel who arranged a ride which we much preferred than the rental car option. Less anxiety on my vacation.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by sent
If something does happen, we are not prepared for the language barrier that may arise when dealing with the situation.
The route from the airport to the hotel is totally a tourist zone and thus over 90% of the people you will meet will be able to speak English. And I'd say well over half speak German too. And they are very friendly so if you did break down someone would help you there a whole lot faster than they would in the US.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP-6MM; Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Now, I've driven all around the UK (even in London), Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal and Germany, but in my old age I prefer to get driven depending on the situation. In my case, an early morning flight from LHR to ATH to HRK, by the time I arrived I really didn't want to drive and glad I didn't.

As for the upgrade, I would ask at check-in and remind them politely of your email and 10th anniversary. The folks at the Blue Palace are extremely accommodating. Hope you have a great stay!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
Hi
I have SPG points to use and have been looking at the SPG catalogue of hotels.
I am thinking about staying here next Summer.
I am SPG Gold and would look at using points or cash+points
Whats the situation with ensuring a room with private pool?
Can one be had on a points stay or do you need to contact hotel for a paid upgrade?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:43 am

Driving in Crete is easy. Get out of Herklion and it's fine. 90% of the time, you will be the only one on the road.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:04 pm

Any thoughts on when they may load the rooms for S/S 2014?

Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:20 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
I am thinking about holidaying in Greece in late September as flights and hotels are cheaper than early September.
Probably visiting Mykonos , Santorini and (Athens or Crete) with 3 nights in each , depending on how best I can sort flights from UK. I can get very cheap flights just now flying into Mykonos direct from UK and back to the UK from Athens or Heraklion so Grande Bretagne or Blue Palace depending on my flights....

I would be quite happy with a Superior Bungalow with Pool. The Blue Palace using Points + Cash.Would an SPG Gold member usually be upgraded to a Superior Bungalow with Pool (subject to availability)? Do they offer paid upgrades to better categories of room ? Did I read somewhere previously the Superior Bungalow with Pool do not get much sun or is it a case that some do and some dont based on location within the resort?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by WEEBOBBY
Did I read somewhere previously the Superior Bungalow with Pool do not get much sun or is it a case that some do and some dont based on location within the resort?
Our pool had sun til 5 pm in July. If you face the resort from the beach, we were way over to the right. The rooms with the pools that were closer to the center of the hotel were in the shade sooner than 5 pm.

I don't remember our room number, but I'm pretty sure I wrote it earlier in this thread in my review sometime after July 2011.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.