Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email Addresses (per Post 425)

Print Wikipost

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Anyone know if there's outside F&B available in walking or biking distance (or for that matter if the hotel has bikes you can use)?
The village of Plaka is a short walk and has EXCELLENT fresh seafood. If you want something else though, it is well worth a cab ride to Elounda, which is 10 minutes away. Unfortunately we didn't discover until the end of our stay that the food there was much better, and the lower prices more then made up for the cab price.

Personally, we found the food at the hotel (other then breakfast) to be subpar, even if you ignored the prices.

If you have bikes you could bike to Elounda (its closeby), but it may not be the most pleasant ride. We walked it one day.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by david4455
What is an F & B?
Food and beverage...in this case referring to outside restaurants, though often the terms is used in reference to hotel services and charges.

Originally Posted by doctor15
The village of Plaka is a short walk and has EXCELLENT fresh seafood. If you want something else though, it is well worth a cab ride to Elounda, which is 10 minutes away. Unfortunately we didn't discover until the end of our stay that the food there was much better, and the lower prices more then made up for the cab price.

Personally, we found the food at the hotel (other then breakfast) to be subpar, even if you ignored the prices.

If you have bikes you could bike to Elounda (its closeby), but it may not be the most pleasant ride. We walked it one day.
Thanks, doc, for this info. A couple of questions (in preparation for our visit in September):

1. Any particular types of food/restaurants you recommend in Elounda?
2. I assume that the walk is unpleasant if the bike ride is that way. But what's it more specifically like and how long does it take?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Thunderroad

1. Any particular types of food/restaurants you recommend in Elounda?
2. I assume that the walk is unpleasant if the bike ride is that way. But what's it more specifically like and how long does it take?
1. I am not a fan of Elounda....so I will let others answer. The 3 or 4 waterfront restaurants in Plaka are lovely.

2. It is about a 45 minute walk from the hotel to Elounda. It is very flat and along the sea....but there are no sidewalks and could be an occasional car or bus lumbering by. I think it would be fine by bicycle if you could find them.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
2. It is about a 45 minute walk from the hotel to Elounda. It is very flat and along the sea....but there are no sidewalks and could be an occasional car or bus lumbering by. I think it would be fine by bicycle if you could find them.
Would it be suitable for a jog, you think?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
1. I am not a fan of Elounda....so I will let others answer. The 3 or 4 waterfront restaurants in Plaka are lovely.

Just saw your reply. A belated thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Would it be suitable for a jog, you think?
Absolutely...just be cautious of cars and an occasional tourist bus.
Old May 5, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Global Entry
Rental Car

Hi,

My future wife and I will be staying at the Blue Palace for our honeymoon this July for 5 days.

I have read mixed reviews about the need to have a car during your stay there. Could anyone who has recently stayed there provide their thoughts on renting a car at HER for those 5 days.

Thanks!
Old May 5, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mindray
Hi,

My future wife and I will be staying at the Blue Palace for our honeymoon this July for 5 days.

I have read mixed reviews about the need to have a car during your stay there. Could anyone who has recently stayed there provide their thoughts on renting a car at HER for those 5 days.

Thanks!
Congratulations!

Well, I haven't stayed there yet, though I'll be doing so with my wife for five days in September. Especially given that it's your honeymoon, I don't think a car is necessary unless the rental is considerably cheaper than arranging a ride back and forth from HER to the hotel. The hotel sounds like an extremely pleasant place to hang out. For eating off-site, the small town of Plaka and its good tavernas is an easy stroll away and the larger tourist town of Elounda an easy taxi ride. If you want to so some tourist stuff, you can hop a boat across to the island that you gaze at from the hotel.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:09 pm

Hi,

Thanks!
It depends on your plans. For exploring Crete a car will be of great help. For everything else there is no need for a car. Restaurants, shops and the beach are in walking distance and Spinalonga is just a short hop by boat.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by red star
It depends on your plans. For exploring Crete a car will be of great help. For everything else there is no need for a car. Restaurants, shops and the beach are in walking distance and Spinalonga is just a short hop by boat.
Echo this comment. Great resort with a small town along the beach. If you're a bit more adventurous, Crete is beautiful to explore to and from HER. Enjoy!
Old May 5, 2014, 10:31 pm

We just got back a few days ago from the AghiosNikolaos/Elounda/Plaka area.

We have visited many times and still find Plaka to be small and charming. (Aghios Nikolaos has been ruined by one day cruise line stops....I never liked Elounda.)

Honeymoon or not...rent a car! Eastern Crete is beautiful and warrants driving its coastline and exploring its hills. We fell madly in love with Crete the farther east we went.....Sitia ( like Agios Nikolaos 25 years ago...and much better food!) , Paleokastro ( extraordinary beaches) and Kata Zakros...unparalleled beauty with an end of the earth sacred experience.

To just hang out at the Blue Palace for 5 days....honeymoon or not...... seems a shame.

Just my two Euros.....
Old May 6, 2014, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I have and I did provide my thoughts above. No doubt about it. Rent a car.

Ideally you will have a corporate discount with Avis or Hertz, etc. And use an Amex or some credit card that provides rental insurance so you don't have to pay extra. Given that, it's cheaper than using a taxi.
Old May 6, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Ideally you will have a corporate discount with Avis or Hertz, etc. And use an Amex or some credit card that provides rental insurance so you don't have to pay extra. Given that, it's cheaper than using a taxi.
We used Cretarent. The price was better than Avis and Hertz, includes ALL insurance, the car was clean and fairly new, and most importantly their rep meets you right outside baggage claim and whisked us to our car.....I noticed quite a line at the Avis and Hertz desks. They do like to be paid in cash though...which is standard for most of the smaller family run companies in Greece.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Hotel quoted 90 Euro e/w for Mercedes car transfer from HER which seems unusually reasonable for:
-Europe
-1 hour+ ride
-Booking through hotel

In general, I prefer to book through the hotel whenever possible as I think it may help upgrade chances if they know you're on the way and "pre" process your checkin vs other guests in third party transport.

Is 90 Euro a reasonable deal or am I much better off just walking out of the hotel and getting in a taxi line?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:22 am

90€ is a reasonable deal. Last year I took a pre-booked taxi after some shopping around from HER to Blue Palace for 80€. I paid the 90€ back for the convenience to just hop on a car without the pre-booking hassle. The car type is the same Benz for taxi or hotel transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.