Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonvoy Earnings and Exchange Rates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Bonvoy Earnings and Exchange Rates

I've noticed this more and more recently where Bonvoy earnings when translated from other currencies to USD are massively off in their exchange rates, resulting in a significant shorting of points.

To be clear: this has always happened - rates were used that were massively to the advantage of the property/Bonvoy by 10-20% in many cases - and Bonvoy stood behind their right to "determine" exchange rates. What's going on now doesn't just seem to be 10-20% but much, much more. A few recent examples:

A stay in Dubai that was 115 AED in incidentals should be approximately 31 USD - and this exchange rate is pegged and hasn't changed in two+ decades. So this should result in 310 points + elite bonues. Posted as 63 points....80% less than it should.

A stay in London that was 116 GBP or 147 USD should result in 1,470 points + bonuses posted as 254 points....82% less than it should

Several stays in Euro have posted corrected, but had another case in Poland where it posted nearly 75% less as well and was eventually corrected when I contacted support. Has anyone noticed this?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I haven't noticed exchange rates that often being significantly off in the majority of cases, but once or twice in the last year I have had similar issues but they have been resolved by customer services, this is when the delta is 60-80%. I remember a hotel in Fiji had this issue last year for me, but this was on room rates, not just incidentals or small spends.

However, when I have done some deep dives on more 10-20% differences it has often reminded me of non-earning things like service charges (10% of charges - 10 ~ 15% service charge when booking Asia properties direct from Marriott website?). There is a good thread on this here: Breakdown of What Charges Earn Points
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:01 pm

Yes, I have also observed this. It is quite annoying when there is a mismatch between the Bonvoy points and the expenses we actually incur. It appears they have been giving less favorable exchange rates recently. I also experienced something like this when the points I received for overseas stays were much lower than expected. It has been a problem that comes back many times, and now it seems like it is becoming more serious. I wish they will take care of it quickly.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:50 pm

FYI- Hotels set exchange rates, not Bonvoy.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:08 pm

The past year I’ve had five stays paid in euros that posted at laughable earnings rate - 400 euros earning 400 base points is the worst example. All different hotels/cities. Easily fixed by submitting a missing stay. But annoying that we have to stay on top of it.

For one stay, I contacted the hotel and received reply that they forwarded it to Marriott for correction. No apology.

I think points posting so outrageously incorrect by the hotel should be penalized under an ultimate guarantee benefit.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by iknowthings
FYI- Hotels set exchange rates, not Bonvoy.
How does this square with the Bonvoy Terns and Conditions ?

"2.7 Foreign Exchange.
The amount of Points earned at Participating Properties where a non-U.S. dollar currency is used will be calculated based on Qualifying Charges converted to U.S. dollar at the exchange rate selected by the Company. This may be the foreign exchange rate used by a Participating Property at check-in, at check-out or another rate selected by the Company and may not be the same rate used for currency conversions on the Member's folio."

(the Company is defined as Marriott International, Inc. and its subsidiaries, including Marriott Rewards, LLC and Preferred Guest, Inc)

Also, what controls are in place to ensure that the set exchange rate is equivalent, as mandated by the T&Cs ?
"2.1 Earning Opportunities at Participating Properties
2.1.a. A Member will earn:
i. Ten (10) base Points for each U.S. dollar, or the currency equivalent, that is incurred and paid for by the Member on Qualifying Charges in accordance"

Terms & Conditions | Loyalty Rewards Programme | Marriott Bonvoy
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
You also need to keep an eye on what part of your bill was for incidental expenses. I recently had a stay where the room charge totaled $525 and I spent several hundred dollars in the hotel's restaurant. When the points appeared I received (you guessed it) 5250 base points. Another call to Marriott to get it fixed will be happening...

It wouldn't be so bad if this only happened occasionally, but lately it's been on every stay, and the error is always in favor of the hotel.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Yep, ripped off royally by the Renaissance Barcelona Fira a couple of days ago.

Eligible Spend (net of Tax) of €141.70 posted as 1127 Base Points, equivalent to a Rate of Exchange of $1 = €1.25

which is monstrously offensive given that the Dollar is actually only worth 92 Euro-Cents on the open market

therefore Eligible Spend €141.70 should have posted as ~1542 Base Points so I've received 27% less than I should have.

Still, if Marriott can redefine a 'Night Stay' as finishing at Midnight and not on the morning when you check out this sort of skullduggery is clearly par for the course.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
Yep, ripped off royally by the Renaissance Barcelona Fira a couple of days ago.

Eligible Spend (net of Tax) of €141.70 posted as 1127 Base Points, equivalent to a Rate of Exchange of $1 = €1.25

which is monstrously offensive given that the Dollar is actually only worth 92 Euro-Cents on the open market
I mean 30% is terrible, but I've have several stays off by up to 80% recently....anything up to 10% I'll usually let go, but this is getting ridiculous....almost as bad as rates in Mexico City being published at USD then converted to MXN at checkout at a rate 10-15% off market rates...it's a giant scam, and I'm amazed they get away with it.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
..it's a giant scam, and I'm amazed they get away with it.
Welcome to earth, is this your first time here?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by applesauce
Welcome to earth, is this your first time here?
Personal attacks not welcome. I still choose to have some faith in humanity
Old Mar 7, 2024, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
In the € zone I usually get about 1000 point/€ spent (tax incl) given that VAT might be anywhere between 15-24% this is more or less correct.

I had only two FX related issues - one in Poland, where an email fixed the points, the other in Romania, where the "fix" was to convert local currency at the rate of 1:1, so I received fivefold the points. Wish it had been in Viet Nam
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:35 am

Most of these extreme examples look more like a misposting or data entry error rather than exchange rate margins? All of my stays are in currencies other than USD and I haven’t noticed any wild margins, so far...
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KingCanute
Most of these extreme examples look more like a misposting or data entry error rather than exchange rate margins? All of my stays are in currencies other than USD and I haven’t noticed any wild margins, so far...
Entirely possible, but still odd I would have had this happen nearly 10 times in the last year...seems like a lot of extreme errors.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Entirely possible, but still odd I would have had this happen nearly 10 times in the last year...seems like a lot of extreme errors.
I don't know. You may just have been particularly unlucky of course, but 80% reductions may suggest they have awarded based on the VAT amount rather than the pre-tax total. That's just a guess by the way but could be trainees who can't tell one line from another on an invoice. 80% seems way too far out for exchange rates though
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.