Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
*** It seems the Free Night Certificate + Points "top-off" redemption went live on April 29 or 30th 2022 - Discussions here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html ***

Starting March 29, our new flexible point redemption rates will go into effect. That means free nights will align more closely with nightly rates and availability. For stay dates in 2022, you can expect that nearly all of our hotels will have the same minimum and maximum number of points required for redemption — similarly to how they were previously categorized.

All the ways you earn points will not change — you’ll just have more flexibility when you’re ready to redeem.

Plus, starting at the end of April, you can combine your Free Night Award with up to 15,000 points to access more hotels you’ll love.

Our current redemption process will remain in place through March 28. After that, you will not see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Standard, or Peak. At the same time, as part of our yearly redemption assessment process (similar to our annual category changes in previous years), the minimum point redemption rates will increase for approximately 200 hotels on March 29 — that’s less than 3% of all hotels. You can explore this list of hotels and decide when and where to maximize your free nights.

With our flexible cancellation policy, you can reserve your redemption stay and still modify your reservation if you find a lower rate in the future.

Want to learn more? Check out all our flexible point redemption rates FAQs.

When there is a redemption points rate drop, this info about how to modify award reservations -- on the website, not the app:
If you click to modify the existing reservation, and select to edit payment, it will adjust the points and keep the same reservation
HT to Schnit

Print Wikipost

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rrgg
After reading the CEO's comments over the past year and seeing these kind of changes, I wonder why they ever bought Starwood. Their business philosophies couldn't be more different.
“grow or die” corporate mentality came with such an expensive marriage that it spawns a “devalue the loyalty program points to grow the program’s profits and margins for the growing company” approach.
dw and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:33 pm

Figured this would happen, and frankly, I don't blame them.

I am a newbie to Bonvoy (second year titanium) -

I pay personally for all my stays, as I made an agreement with my employer that I could live elsewhere as long as I came in on my dime a few times a month.

This looks exactly like what happened with Delta - Try and book a first class ticket to the Maldives, you are SOL. Try to book a slight from ATL > DEN? Then it is actually BETTER than before.

Stayed at the Ritz Carlton Amelia Island a few months ago, and I asked the front desk out of curiosity what % of people are using points, and she said the vast majority were. I do wonder if these aspirational properties are cash cows, or, just serve to clear out the point liabilities from Marriott's un-earned revenue?

The majority of my stays are going to be at Aloft / Renaissance / Etc - and I frankly think this could be a good thing. I am not one to save all my points for one trip, but rather burn as I go, based on value. I do like that they are offering the top off function, albeit late.

The one thing that DOES piss me off a tad, is how many properties are JUST outside the tier of FNA (25k, 35k, 50k). I saw a courtyard Amelia Island at 36k points, and the JW Grande Lakes at 52k per night. That isn't dynamic - that is purely to keep people from using FNA.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
After reading the CEO's comments over the past year and seeing these kind of changes, I wonder why they ever bought Starwood. Their business philosophies couldn't be more different.
The winners are the premium competitors, FS, Auberge, Fairmont etc.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
One Positive For Me

Had a 3 night stay booked for mid-May at $621.00. When I looked today price for same room for same nights was $461.00. Looks like dynamic pricing works both ways depending on season, capacity and property.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by gudugan
LOL Hilton just increased the top properties from 95k points to 120k points overnight without telling anyone. Numerically that's worse
The WA Maldives went from 120k to 150k with no notice.

Even though that's bad, it's not as bad as what's going to happen to aspirational Marriott properties come 2023. 150k per night with Hilton is still somewhat attainable especially given the ease of earning HH points, which isn't the case with Bonvoy points that are much harder to earn. You can also use HH FNCs on any category level.

But most Cat 8 property with Marriott we're going to see the points required shoot through the roof and you can certainly not use FNCs there. So they're just going to be unattainable on points, at least for me. And I'm definitely not going to pay their cash rates at those places either.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by marlee1421
Had a 3 night stay booked for mid-May at $621.00. When I looked today price for same room for same nights was $461.00. Looks like dynamic pricing works both ways depending on season, capacity and property.
Another positive data point, I had a stay booked at the Hotel Danieli Venice in June for 100k points/night. Just looked and it's now between 94k and 97k for my nights, so I cancelled, rebooked and saved a few points.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by laner
Another positive data point, I had a stay booked at the Hotel Danieli Venice in June for 100k points/night. Just looked and it's now between 94k and 97k for my nights, so I cancelled, rebooked and saved a few points.
Saw that kind of thing with the Danieli, but then at the same time the Gritti went up a lot. Guess which one costs Marriott less per redemption night? The Danieli.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:26 pm

My 5 night St. Regis Aspen booking next winter went up 120k points.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Bav803
The one thing that DOES piss me off a tad, is how many properties are JUST outside the tier of FNA (25k, 35k, 50k). I saw a courtyard Amelia Island at 36k points, and the JW Grande Lakes at 52k per night. That isn't dynamic - that is purely to keep people from using FNA.
One of the (few) positive changes is that you can now "top off" FNAs that just miss the threshold. So in your example, a 35k FNA plus an extra 1k points books Amelia Island. This is definitely an improvement from before, where a 35k cert was totally useless at a 40k property.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
One of the (few) positive changes is that you can now "top off" FNAs that just miss the threshold. So in your example, a 35k FNA plus an extra 1k points books Amelia Island. This is definitely an improvement from before, where a 35k cert was totally useless at a 40k property.
Are you saying you've seen this feature already?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I don't think so as it's not live yet.

OP is just saying that in the case of a room being just over the 35k or 50k amount you'll still be able to use an FNC by topping it up where previously you just couldn't use it at all on those types of bookings.
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by marlee1421
This change to ‘dynamic pricing’ only affects awards. Cash rates are already dynamic. It’ll be interesting to see whether hikes in award rates affects demand to such an extent that it back-influences cash rates.
volabam likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by friedablass
The WA Maldives went from 120k to 150k with no notice.

Even though that's bad, it's not as bad as what's going to happen to aspirational Marriott properties come 2023. 150k per night with Hilton is still somewhat attainable especially given the ease of earning HH points, which isn't the case with Bonvoy points that are much harder to earn. You can also use HH FNCs on any category level.

But most Cat 8 property with Marriott we're going to see the points required shoot through the roof and you can certainly not use FNCs there. So they're just going to be unattainable on points, at least for me. And I'm definitely not going to pay their cash rates at those places either.
Yeah I'm not getting the hate on Hilton here. Their free night certificates aren't capped at certain categories and they also don't charge resort fees on award stays. Plus it's ridiculously easy to earn points. The base earn rate with an Aspire card (which is hands-down one of the best value premium travel cards on the market) is 34x (it gives you Diamond, so 100% bonus, plus 14x on Hilton spend and 3x base versus 6x/2x for Marriott). Titaniums with any Marriott card cap at 23.5x, and having two cards only gets you 40% of the way to Titanium. And Hilton is constantly running 2x points promotions, so half the time you're getting 44x points. They have even done 3x promotions for stays of three nights or more, so that's 54x. And they have respectable earn rates for restaurants, air travel, rental cars, etc., which makes it a better all-rounder for road warriors. With this devaluation I would hesitate to default to the Marriott co-brand cards for Marriott stays. 3x MR for the Amex Green and even 2x plus LPs for certain Aadvantage cards make more sense.

If they were to actually follow the Hilton route and offer uncapped free night certificates with their premium card and eliminate resort fees on award stays, plus start offering points at a rate more in line with Hilton (Titanium/Ambassador 100% points bonus, plus at least 10x Marriott spend for the Amex Brilliant) then I think they're competitive. As it stands Marriott points are now the skypesos of the hotel loyalty world.

Last edited by ajf87; Mar 30, 2022 at 3:11 pm
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I was looking at the W Ibiza with points in August. Yesterday it was 70k across the board. Now it's between 63-70k. Not a big difference but given it's August in the Mediterranean, I was surprised to even see it off it's 70k cap.

The Waimea I booked at 280k is now 388k. FWIW the cash price also went up about $500/night from when I booked it.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
No, they have said it is coming in April. So I guess "now" wasn't literal, but it does take the sting out of rates that are just over cert amount. I think you will be able to top off up to +15k points.
SPN Lifer and volabam like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.