Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Seemingly every Marriott member in China is Platinum or above...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seemingly every Marriott member in China is Platinum or above...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Hong Kong is full of platinum and above due to staycation, and the challenge from last year. combine with 500 HKD dining voucher, and can book 50% off best flexible rate for up to 3 nights (+1 HKD for breakfast), combine with amex discount of 30%. staycation dining package equals to room rate.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Yup. You can buy hotel status for Marriott/IHG/Hyatt/Hilton online in China for very little money. In the west, hotel status seems to be affiliated with business people whose job/bosses mandate some sort of travel; conversely, fuerdai culture in China compels even infrequent Chinese travelers to crave status. There is a real market to buy and sell status.

There are also markets for buying and selling points. China has multiple equivalents of churningmarketplace that are MUCH larger.
The market exists for buying/selling points in the West too. For example, this website (https://www.themilesmarket.com) is based in the USA. (Note: I am not vouching for the website. I am posting this simply for knowledge not as an endorsement. Selling miles/points is against the ToS of virtually every loyalty program.)

There are many non-business travelers who crave status as well, all around the world. Not just in China.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:14 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xero
The market exists for buying/selling points in the West too. For example, this website (https://www.themilesmarket.com) is based in the USA. (Note: I am not vouching for the website. I am posting this simply for knowledge not as an endorsement. Selling miles/points is against the ToS of virtually every loyalty program.)

There are many non-business travelers who crave status as well, all around the world. Not just in China.
Sure, the marketplace I listed in the post you are replying to
(churningmarketplace) is a huge marketplace dedicated to this
type of thing that is not in China. It is clear this exists in many
markets. However, as noted in this thread, the marketplaces in
China are MUCH larger (probably by virtue of the fact that there
are more people in China) and easier to access. For example, 600 people purchased Marriott Platinum status in the last month alone on just one Chinese WeChat broker. I challenge anyone to show me something comparable for another market. Where would someone in the US even go if they wanted to purchase status for any program? It just is not on the same level at all.

In fact, this is so prevalent that even Marriott itself has partnered with Alibaba to sell Marriott status before China members can buy Platinum status for $13 + 8 nights.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:24 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WasKnown
In fact, this is so prevalent that even Marriott itself has partnered with Alibaba to sell Marriott status before China members can buy Platinum status for $13 + 8 nights.
We need tapering here- what an inflation!
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:46 am
Suspended

interesting subject

Last edited by bakrgby; May 13, 2022 at 6:10 pm
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bakrgby
first time poster, I find this so fascinating. I wanted to do some more research, what are these giant marketplaces? someone mentioned 2 new ones. The only one im familiar with is churning marketplace . thanks
Go ahead and do all the research you want.

David
dw and Temedar like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I suspect the "main" culprit is the multi-year status rollover/"helper" moves combined with varying market dynamics. One point to consider is that the cost of a flight from China to the US for a family of 3-4 (to, say, visit Disney World) probably covers a lot of domestic vacation ground for those who can afford it.

One probably-overlooked element is the effect of the intermittent lockdowns, which have probably "stranded" a few thousand people (or perhaps, legitimately, tens of thousands of people across the various incidents) into status at some point in the last two years since (IIRC) those things tend to last a few weeks once they kick off.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DELee
Go ahead and do all the research you want.

David

Last edited by bakrgby; May 13, 2022 at 6:09 pm
Old Nov 22, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium, Accor Plus - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Raddison - Gold, Golden Circle - Jade
any new data points for this? or has the level of platinums fizzled out?
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by joakgarp
If I remember correctly Marriott has always run a few heavy marketing campaigns in China to gain more elites.
This doesn't surprise me. The price difference between Western and Non-Western hotels in Asia is huge so locals would need a compelling reason to choose a Marriott when something comparable would be a third of the price.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I stayed about 160 nights in China this year.

It's getting harder to get a complimentary suite upgrade, and lounges are also more and more crowded.

Still, I don't think it's the number of platinum or higher elites. Rather, people are simply booking suites and executive rooms since the delta of rates for suite/executive rooms and regular rooms is often insignificant in China.

Case in point: Chengdu Marriott, Dec. 12-13
Regular room (41 Sq m) 970 CNY
Executive Suite (70 Sq m) 1450 CNY

The delta is only 480 CNY or $65.

No wonder I didn't get an upgrade the last time I stayed there. Hotel manager told me all suites are full.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Chinese members also got 20 promotional elite night credits this year. On top of the fact one can purchase platinum for 400rmb on those marketplaces. I think things will calm next year.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
echo this

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Chinese members also got 20 promotional elite night credits this year. On top of the fact one can purchase platinum for 400rmb on those marketplaces. I think things will calm next year.
Yep, my plat friend also got the 20 free nights this year. Calm down in china, I doubt it with the marketplace cheaters, they are clever !!.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Had lunch w a front office mgr who said the scamming is daily and a massive problem.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Had lunch w a front office mgr who said the scamming is daily and a massive problem.
What is the scamming? Im curious.

As a member with a Chinese address I got the extra elite nights added earlier this year. Ill make titanium because of this. Im lifetime plat so I dont indulge in the purchasing of status on Taobao or what not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.