Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Seemingly every Marriott member in China is Platinum or above...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seemingly every Marriott member in China is Platinum or above...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
What is the scamming? Im curious.

As a member with a Chinese address I got the extra elite nights added earlier this year. Ill make titanium because of this. Im lifetime plat so I dont indulge in the purchasing of status on Taobao or what not.
A platinum members books a room and then sells it with benefits online to others. So the member gets the credit, often books with points and sells for cash to other guests who pay less than what a nice room/ suite with breakfast will cost.

The fake member gets 365 nights a year etx.

At one Hyatt I went to, they said it happens so often that they always give me a suite because they recognize I'm a real guest. They aren't sure if the other elites are real or scamming the system

I know one Chinese guy who booked like 50 rooms in Qatar during world cup on points and then resold the rooms to other Chinese guests. He went around checking in e everywhere and made a fortune.

He hasn't been caught by Marriott yet, he said, but he's been banned from hyatt
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
This would explain my experience in Ritz Carlton Shanghai years ago. I booked a suite, but the friendly manager upgraded me to a bigger suite. I slept there but had my luggage taken to Xiamen by my staff as I'm staying behind a few more days for leisure. Every day I would use laundry service so there would be no person items in the room as I would go out with my backpack. The morning of the second day a person from Ritz called me and threaten to cancel my reservation because I'm not living there. I was baffled by the entire situation and initially he wouldn't accept my reasons and think I'm lying. It was not a fun experience, but I think that was the reason.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 6:02 am

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Originally Posted by SHLTP
A platinum members books a room and then sells it with benefits online to others. So the member gets the credit, often books with points and sells for cash to other guests who pay less than what a nice room/ suite with breakfast will cost.

The fake member gets 365 nights a year etx.

At one Hyatt I went to, they said it happens so often that they always give me a suite because they recognize I'm a real guest. They aren't sure if the other elites are real or scamming the system

I know one Chinese guy who booked like 50 rooms in Qatar during world cup on points and then resold the rooms to other Chinese guests. He went around checking in e everywhere and made a fortune.

He hasn't been caught by Marriott yet, he said, but he's been banned from hyatt
Yep, plenty of people are selling rooms under the table via the populous Chinese social app Xiaohongshu (Little Red Book). Some of them also operate like a global sydicate that has people located in every major city globally who would meet you in the lobby and check in "on your behalf". One of my female friends was contacted by such a person on the app for a reservation in Vancouver. I warned her against it as the stranger who tried to sell her the room could technically get a replacement keycard from the front desk and get into her room without permission. I don't know what Marriott can do or if they are even motivated to do anything but this has become too common and in my opinion out of control.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.