Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

China members can buy Platinum status for $13 + 8 nights.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott

In March, I was downgraded from Platinum to Silver, the first time after 6 years of Plat with SPG. Since then I've given thoughts on how Marriott value their loyalty program. Last week, I came across a Facebook ad paid by Marriott and to my surprise, it's comment section was still flooded with comments of disgruntled members disappointed at their status. One particular theme I agreed with was loyalty goes both ways, if other hotel chains were able to maintain status for their members, why couldn't Marriott afford to do so? In my case, both IHG and Accor extended my status without my input.

I read agent replies and saw part of the FT community agreeing Marriott done this correctly to be FAIR to members whom actually spent the nights. Doing so would free up capacity in the lounges and keep upgrades available. That's when I thought, surely if Marriott sticks on the fair grounds, perhaps it relies on such safeguards.

That's when I found out an absurd contrary. Since at least least year, Marriott has been partnering with Alibaba's Taobao, which functions similarly to Amazon in mainland China. Taobao users can pay RMB¥ 88 (US$ 12.58) to become a 88VIP (think Prime membership) and amongst other shopping benefits immediately obtain Marriott Bonvoy Gold status.

They can then enroll into the Platinum challenge and immediately get Platinum status. To extend it for the year, stay 8 nights within 120 days. Like other members in the program, if you complete the challenge after Feb, the status is extended for another year.

Over the years, there's been numerous discussions regarding the ability to 'buy' elite status, I always thought it was either unofficial, or similar to Marriott's credit cards where you are accelerated by given set amount of qualifying nights, but $13 + 8 nights is just way too generous, even more so than Marriott's own Platinum challenge and unfair to members renewing at 50+ nights a year.

I'm not sure what to think of this, it's clearly unjust for Marriott members outside of China. Just think the next time you notice the elite queue longer than usual, whether the person in front of you stayed 50 nights, or paid a distasteful $13.

Edit: Typo, phrasing
rt23456p and Kevin Weldon like this.

Last edited by miloworld; Jul 30, 2020 at 1:05 am
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

I've included some screenshots found on the enrollment page on Taobao and included translation,

F1/F2/F3 mentioned here is Taobao's own membership level. 1000pts is generally achieved by RMB ¥1,000 spend, approx US$ 143.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
What I said here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32559428-post376.html
miloworld likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: Alaska
As Aspire card can get Hilton Honor Diamond without any stay or night?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m
As Aspire card can get Hilton Honor Diamond without any stay or night?
So do Amex Centurion members getting Marriott Gold and CX Silver but I'm fine with that since very limited number of people have access to that card. Can't be compared to paying $13..
rt23456p and Kevin Weldon like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Marriott's business in mainland China must be tough now considering the US-China relations? To be frank it's actually world vs China right now when companies are looking into moving their supply lines away from China.
Marriott has invested tons of money in properties in mainland China so I don't really see any problem with this kind of promo as travelling abroad in general is prohibited?
bocastephen and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joakgarp
I don't really see any problem with this kind of promo as travelling abroad in general is prohibited?
This program began before Covid and not a limited-time promo due to tourism slowdown. It started as early as Mar 2019.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:43 am

I read on another site that the promotion is only open to people who have not previously signed up for Marriott Bonvoy membership. Don't know if that is correct, but if so, then it would limit the applicability somewhat (although still very generous).
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by claimui
I read on another site that the promotion is only open to people who have not previously signed up for Marriott Bonvoy membership. Don't know if that is correct, but if so, then it would limit the applicability somewhat (although still very generous).
Some travel blogs teach you to sign-up for a new account each year, complete the challenge and then merge with existing bonvoy, keeping the stauts, points and lifetime count.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by miloworld
So do Amex Centurion members getting Marriott Gold and CX Silver but I'm fine with that since very limited number of people have access to that card. Can't be compared to paying $13..
not in the same league. Aspire is much easier to get. the credits offset membership fee. pratically free Hilton Honor top membership. better than $13 and 8 stays to get a mid-tier in Marriott.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Marriott's business in mainland China must be tough now considering the US-China relations? To be frank it's actually world vs China right now when companies are looking into moving their supply lines away from China.
Marriott has invested tons of money in properties in mainland China so I don't really see any problem with this kind of promo as travelling abroad in general is prohibited?
I’d wager Marriott’s business in China now is better than in any other country in the world. Every hotel is open and operating and business travel has returned. This promo has been around for longer than Covid I think.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
deleted

Last edited by craigthemif; Aug 1, 2020 at 7:59 am
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I’d wager Marriott’s business in China now is better than in any other country in the world. Every hotel is open and operating and business travel has returned. This promo has been around for longer than Covid I think.
Yeah, business is thriving in China. They managed to reopen completely sooner than any nation.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
You do realise that if China or Asia Marriotts are swamped with "cheap Platinums", then you can change to another hotel chain that doesn't give away elite status to members in China.
You do realize although they gain the status with significantly less effort, their status is good as yours and recognized worldwide when they travel outside of China. Not an issue of not my country = not my problem.
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jul 31, 2020 at 9:19 am
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Yeah, business is thriving in China. They managed to reopen completely sooner than any nation.

You do realize although they gain the status with significantly less effort, their status is good as yours and recognized worldwide when they travel outside of China. Not an issue of not my country = not my problem.
I know that - before the merger there's an offer to give everyone gold (Platinum now) if you service your BMW in BMW workshop China. I do the same in Europe and I get nothing. For someone who is based in Europe we have no CC night - so every night is butt in bed night.

China needs to reopen ASAP because they have to get their economy running.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:55 am

I've included some screenshots found on the enrollment page on Taobao and included translation,

F1/F2/F3 mentioned here is Taobao's own membership level. 1000pts is generally achieved by RMB ¥1,000 spend, approx US$ 143.
There are 2 way to join the program 1. Tabao VIP 88, 2. Fliggy F3. Each taobao / Fliggy account is qualified to join the challenge once (must link with Marriott account). They can get Elite Platinum after completed the challenge which is valid for 1 year. After 1 year, the status will drop to corresponding elite status according to nights stayed.
However, for those who completed the challenge in 2019/2020, they can enjoy the Platinum status until 2022 ( due to extended elite status by Marriott).
So yeah, next year will be though year because there will be a lot of platinum ( from taobao/fliggy, from bonvoy credit cards and bonus elite nights from Marriott), and possible members from status match or status challenge from other hotel program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.