Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott now shows upfront the all-in price, including Resort Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott now shows upfront the all-in price, including Resort Fees

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:48 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That’s not direct action to support legal/regulatory reforms to ban these hotel scam fees.
Again, OTAs do not need to fight resort fees legally to be displeased with them. Expedia does not receive a commission on resort fees. Expedia de-ranks hotels with resort fees in their search. I think most reasonable people can look at these two simple facts and come to the obvious conclusion that Expedia does not like resort fees. I bet they WOULD like them if they could get a commission off of them but the Booking.com situation where they lost a flood of inventory obviously makes the path to that difficult.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Publicly posturing to be on the customers’ side when it comes to these hotel scam fees, while from the shadows using the PR/lobbying playbook of deploying money and foot soldiers to oppose meaningful, customer-friendly legal/regulatory reform to ban these fees? That’s not fighting these scam fees. It’s trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the gullible and keep the small print nonsense going.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:04 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Publicly posturing to be on the customers’ side when it comes to these hotel scam fees, while from the shadows using the PR/lobbying playbook of deploying money and foot soldiers to oppose meaningful, customer-friendly legal/regulatory reform to ban these fees? That’s not fighting these scam fees. It’s trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the gullible and keep the small print nonsense going.
So where’s your evidence to support that they’re doing this? They don’t make a commission off of resort fees (incentive) and fees-rank hotels with resort fees in their search (action). These are empirical and indisputable facts. Without evidence (aka a source for your claim, funny how we always come back to this), the rest is just speculation lol

Also, it’s amusing that you call this public posturing when most people (including many in this thread) didn’t even know Expedia de-ranked hotels with resort fees in their search
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:05 am
Suspended

Not my responsibility to feed anyone here.

The big OTAs and Marriott play from the same playbook as big tech companies do about privacy matters: play one game in public but then deploy money and labor against consumer-friendly legal/regulatory changes that could actually put in place and memorialize a comprehensive, industry-wide halt to the consumer-unfriendly practices.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 23, 2021 at 6:11 am
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:08 am

Not my responsibility to feed anyone here.
So no evidence, no sources as usual. You can’t source it because it’s pure speculation lol. Meanwhile, the facts remain unchanged. Expedia does not receive a commission from resort fees. Therefore, they de-rank hotels with resort fees in their search. Please keep going if this is the hill you want to die on lol.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:21 am
Suspended

I am more than marginally aware of what Expedia has done and is doing. And I don’t need a URL to be fed or to feed. Spoon-feeding on demand is not my way.

Expedia and Priceline/Booking.com could have pursued to permanently delist hotels with these scam fees. They didn’t.

These OTAs and Marriott could have put money and foot soldiers to lobby for legal/regulatory action to ban these scam fees. And yet at the federal and state levels, they are where? . Back to “the big OTAs and Marriott play from the same playbook as big tech companies do about privacy matters: play one game in public but then deploy money and labor against consumer-friendly legal/regulatory changes that could actually put in place and memorialize a comprehensive, industry-wide halt to the consumer-unfriendly practices.”
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:29 am

I am more than marginally aware of what Expedia has done and is doing. And I don’t need a URL to be fed or to feed. Spoon-feeding on demand is not my way.

Expedia and Priceline/Booking.com could have pursued to permanently delist hotels with these scam fees. They didn’t.

These OTAs and Marriott could have put money and foot soldiers to lobby for legal/regulatory action to ban these scam fees. And yet at the federal and state levels, they are where? . Back to “the big OTAs and Marriott play from the same playbook as big tech companies do about privacy matters: play one game in public but then deploy money and labor against consumer-friendly legal/regulatory changes that could actually put in place and memorialize a comprehensive, industry-wide halt to the consumer-unfriendly practices.”
It’s not spoon feeding, it’s providing source for a baseless claim. If it were so easy to source any of your claims in any thread where you’ve been empirically proven wrong, you would have done so already.

And again, nothing changed the facts. Expedia does not get a commission on resort fees. That’s motive alone for them to dislike them. They also actively de-rank hotels with resort fees in their search algorithm. That is a direct manifestation of their dislike for fees. Where is the credible response (that doesn’t speculate about “shadow” games LOL) to this very simple line of reasoning?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:38 am
Suspended

De-ranking is not de-listing; nor is it evidence of fighting for legal/regulatory reform to slay these hotel scam fees.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:42 am

De-ranking is not de-listing; nor is it evidence of fighting for legal/regulatory reform to slay these hotel scam fees.
Its easier to just quote my previous responses to you hahaha. Feel free to address it, if you can. =^)

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Again, OTAs do not need to fight resort fees legally to be displeased with them. Expedia does not receive a commission on resort fees. Expedia de-ranks hotels with resort fees in their search. I think most reasonable people can look at these two simple facts and come to the obvious conclusion that Expedia does not like resort fees. I bet they WOULD like them if they could get a commission off of them but the Booking.com situation where they lost a flood of inventory obviously makes the path to that difficult.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:43 am
Suspended

Already addressed. De minimis public posturing is not the same thing as actually siding with customer-friendly legal/regulatory reform/pushes in this area.
Let’s see when the next hotel group is nailed for this same scam practice. Marriott needs a lot more company to be pressured.

But this scam practice needs to be dealt a coup de grace by legal/regulatory bans against this scam practice and have such memorialized reform apply across the board to travel service intermediaries and providers.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:51 am

Let’s see when the next hotel group is nailed for this same scam practice. Marriott needs a lot more company to be pressured.
Just does not address my post at all. There is more than one way to oppose something and it is painfully obvious Expedia acted in their best interest to oppose resort fees lol
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
You guys can really argue about anything
JonP and WasKnown like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
You guys can really argue about anything
At this point, this is less of an argument and more of a hostile lesson lol
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
This is good

One of the worst offenders in this department is Atlantis in the Bahamas. The rate without fees for some dates in January at the Royal are less than $300 per night without fees/taxes but $421 per night all in. What still stinks about it is that the fees usually still get charged for a “free” award stay. The taxes are reduced at least.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:12 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by quinella66
One of the worst offenders in this department is Atlantis in the Bahamas. The rate without fees for some dates in January at the Royal are less than $300 per night without fees/taxes but $421 per night all in. What still stinks about it is that the fees usually still get charged for a “free” award stay. The taxes are reduced at least.
Does that include tips like at many foreign locations? Personally I'm ok with included service fee, just means I don't have to make change before leaving on vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.