Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott now shows upfront the all-in price, including Resort Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 3:53 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

Well recently I noticed that the price given is now all in price. Now, I'm also noticing that some hotels that used to use destination fee and other BS to show lower rates are having to actually lower their prices to show up as the lower priced offering. Westin's used to be notorious for this but now seem to have been stopped by the default all in pricing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:58 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I noticed this last night when making some reservations. I like seeing the all in price upfront. Saves me from manually doing the math myself. Hope this is an intended new feature for the MR website and not a "bug". You never know with Marriott IT

--Jon
EricH, SPN Lifer, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:03 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by seat38a
Well recently I noticed that the price given is now all in price. Now, I'm also noticing that some hotels that used to use destination fee and other BS to show lower rates are having to actually lower their prices to show up as the lower priced offering. Westin's used to be notorious for this but now seem to have been stopped by the default all in pricing.
For the most part this is by choice as explained below.

I've noticed that by default they show rates without taxes and fees on Japan properties in the past year, but no where else other than those countries that have always required all-in pricing, like the UK and Australia. By default US properties still show rates without taxes and fees along with many European and Asian properties. However, that may appear to be different for you because you selected to show rates with taxes and fees at some point...

Now there is a check box titled Show rates with taxes and all fees at the top of the hotel's rate listing where your can display rates with taxes and fees, or without as I do when I check Japan hotel rates (habit). I just ran a test, in the case of checking rates in hotels that traditionally display rates without taxes and fees, if you select that Show rates with taxes and all fees check box, it caches your selection for subsequent searches. If you switch to flexible (1-night stays in my case) it reverts back and shows a calendar of rates without taxes and fees, but when you click on a date it then shows you the rates for the selected date with taxes and all fees. If you uncheck Show rates with taxes and all fees check box, then it reverts back to rates without taxes and fees and caches that updated selection for future searches again.

Edit: I stand corrected. I use Chrome, so I went to a new browser, Edge, and it appears the clean browser displays rates with taxes and all fees by default. This happens even if you're coming from a page of flexible rates; the flexible rate calendar still shows rates without taxes and fees but when you click on a date it then shows you that select date's rates with taxes and fees.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Nov 16, 2021 at 5:18 am Reason: CORRECTION
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I like seeing the all in price upfront. Saves me from manually doing the math myself
Welcome to the civilised world.

I just pulled up a rate for a hotel in the UK, and with the "Show rates with taxes and all fees" box checked it displayed a price with a "Taxes and all fees included" footnote. When I unchecked the box, it displayed the same price, but removed the "Taxes and all fees included" footnote. Seems like UK consumer law is overriding Marriott's desire to display the ex-VAT price.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Since I live in Marriott hotels I am on their website constantly. This just became the default (showing price with taxes/fees included) within the last 3 days. Prior to that you still had to click the checkbox at the top of the search results page to see the total charges with fees/taxes included.

Since I never look at resorts I can't say for sure if resort fees are included but they should be based on the checkbox. I *refuse* to pay resort fees when all they are providing are services that are supposed to be free for me anyway.

-RM
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wonder if they got in trouble in the EU for not complying with applicable law requiring all-in pricing?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
This feature has been around for quite a while - just check show prices with all taxes and fees (or however it's worded)
TravisMT81, JBa, SEA777GUY and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
This feature has been around for quite a while - just check show prices with all taxes and fees (or however it's worded)
Was a pain in the ... looking in different countries and having to hit that button every time you switched currencies. Then if you wanted to switch dates or codes you would have to go back to reselect currency and then again click the show all taxes button. If you're speed-looking it really wastes a lot of time.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:18 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I know. They got rid of the checkbox and now by default show the all in price when you search.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is a great change. It might also be a litigation strategy related to the various pending lawsuits.

OTAs are still showing exclusive of taxes and fees.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:53 am

Is this only in the United States?

I'm still seeing the "show rates with all taxes and fees" checkbox.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Does it include valet when valet is REQUIRED?
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I noticed this “feature” about 2 weeks ago, and was really hoping it was a bug. The new all in price includes any resort fees and it’s an extra step when you’re trying to compare to an OTA price (for BRG purposes) that does not include the resort fee (since it is always paid directly to the hotel). My 2 cents.

At the very least, you should be able to click off the “include all taxes and fees” button as soon as you begin your search. Instead, you have to drill down to the property level before you can click to just the room price.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Only if you indicate the # of cars staying overnight along with the # of guests.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Only if valet is required for guests taking Uber/Lyft/shuttle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.