Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott now shows upfront the all-in price, including Resort Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott now shows upfront the all-in price, including Resort Fees

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by rucksack
Longer term, I’d think this change will cause hotels to get rid of resort fees since there wouldn’t be much incentive to have them.

It will be interesting to see how this change is handled for OTAs, as they’re not bound by this settlement. You’d think Marriott would want to make OTAs include resort fees in the rate so that people aren’t confused into not booking direct because they think the OTA rate is lower.
Marriott's simply posting the info. It's the hotels that are charging the junk fees. And the municipalities charging their taxes and surcharges for their cut as well. Let's see if OTAs do anything.

David
Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:50 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Longer term, I’d think this change will cause hotels to get rid of resort fees since there wouldn’t be much incentive to have them.

It will be interesting to see how this change is handled for OTAs, as they’re not bound by this settlement. You’d think Marriott would want to make OTAs include resort fees in the rate so that people aren’t confused into not booking direct because they think the OTA rate is lower.
OTAs hate resort fees too
Old Nov 21, 2021, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Marriott's simply posting the info. It's the hotels that are charging the junk fees. And the municipalities charging their taxes and surcharges for their cut as well. Let's see if OTAs do anything.

David
Right, but the benefit of a resort/destination fee (to properties) is to obscure the actual price of the stay so the hotel looks more competitive in search engines than it actually is. If booking engines show the nightly rate inclusive of taxes/fees, there’s no incentive to carve out resort fees. I expect many hotels will keep these fees in the near term simply because they already have them, but I’d guess they’ll slowly disappear over time.

Originally Posted by WasKnown
OTAs hate resort fees too
I just did a spot check and most OTAs are advertising the straight-up nightly rate exlusive of resort fees. Some show the total price for the stay including taxes and fees in small font. I don’t think OTAs care one way or another whether properties have resort fees, other than that if they don’t show the lowest advetisable price, they’re going to get significantly fewer clicks from search engines/ aggregators.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
I just did a spot check and most OTAs are advertising the straight-up nightly rate exlusive of resort fees. Some show the total price for the stay including taxes and fees in small font. I don’t think OTAs care one way or another whether properties have resort fees, other than that if they don’t show the lowest advetisable price, they’re going to get significantly fewer clicks from search engines/ aggregators.
No. OTAs hate resort fees. This is widely known. https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...re-new-laws-do https://thepointsguy.com/news/will-o...l-resort-fees/

Expedia de-ranking hotels with resort fees https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...ng-hidden-fees

Booking.com trying to charge a commission on resort fees https://onemileatatime.com/online-tr...y-resort-fees/

The big stand against resort fees from OTAs happened before Covid-19. They are definitely going to fight against them in some way, either by taking a commission on them or fighting to eliminate them entirely (to therefore get that priced baked into the commissionable room rate).
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Priceline/Booking.com wanted in on getting commission money for the resort fee type scam revenue.

Expedia adjusted algorithms to lower display priority for hotels with these kind of fees.

Did either of those big OTAs sign up to be on the side of any anti-resort fee cases being advanced by some AGs, and (if so) where is that filed support evident?

Taking a commission on such scam fees is not fighting the fees. It’s wanting to ride the scam for all its worth. The big OTAs have the resources to calculate and show only pricing inclusive of mandatory fees, but why do they choose to “small print” it even when they may?
margarita girl and rucksack like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 21, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Old Nov 21, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Longer term, I'd think this change will cause hotels to get rid of resort fees since there wouldn’t be much incentive to have them.
Aside from the issue that points are not awarded on the resort fee component of the total rate.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Priceline/Booking.com wanted in on getting commission money for the resort fee type scam revenue.

Expedia adjusted algorithms to lower display priority for hotels with these kind of fees.

Did either of those big OTAs sign up to be on the side of any anti-resort fee cases being advanced by some AGs, and (if so) where is that filed support evident?

Taking a commission on such scam fees is not fighting the fees. It’s wanting to ride the scam for all its worth. The big OTAs have the resources to calculate and show only pricing inclusive of mandatory fees, but why do they choose to “small print” it even when they may?
Expedia (Expedia, Hotels.com, Trivago, Hotwire, Travelocity, etc) literally de-ranks hotels that have resort fees.

They actually went out of their way to NOT take a commission on resort fees like Booking.com did.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/hotels-resorts/expedia-search-results-hotels-with-hidden-resort-fees-display-lower

The ability of some people here to reject what the industry commonly accepts as fact here never ceases to amaze me
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seat38a
I know. They got rid of the checkbox and now by default show the all in price when you search.
I was just doing a search on the website (Chrome and Edge) and the prices are showing room only prices. The checkbox to show rates with taxes and all fees is still there.
Westcoaster likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Expedia (Expedia, Hotels.com, Trivago, Hotwire, Travelocity, etc) literally de-ranks hotels that have resort fees.

They actually went out of their way to NOT take a commission on resort fees like Booking.com did.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/hotels-resorts/expedia-search-results-hotels-with-hidden-resort-fees-display-lower

The ability of some people here to reject what the industry commonly accepts as fact here never ceases to amaze me
…. and this royal “the industry”.

“Did either of those big OTAs sign up to be on the side of any anti-resort fee cases being advanced by some AGs, and (if so) where is that filed support evident?” Nothing posted above addresses this question.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:40 pm

…. and this royal “the industry”.

“Did either of those big OTAs sign up to be on the side of any anti-resort fee cases being advanced by some AGs, and (if so) where is that filed support evident?” Nothing posted above addresses this question.
That’s just not a valid heuristic. There is no logic in this line of thinking. OTAs don’t need to sue their partners to be displeased with one aspect of the partnership. Therefore, there is no requirement to show that they are engaging narrowly your specific behavior. All that is required is to demonstrate that they are unhappy with resort fees, which should be apparent to anyone that has sat through a single hospitality conference.

When booking.com pulled their move, some hotels stopped listing on Booking.com. This was cited as a reason by Expedia for them to not follow suit. No one actually familiar with the dynamic between hotels and OTAs would suggest that OTAs would actively oppose resort fees in the way Traveler’s United did (though TU is clearly OTA friendly on some level). They will not needlessly antagonize some of their biggest partners (and many would argue Booking.com made a mistake).

But yes, Expedia (the OTA Goliath) de-ranks hotels with resort fees. That is an indisputable fact. Is it because they like resort fees? Of course not. They whine about during almost every conference panel from the past 3 years (even in completely unrelated conferences like Skift Loyalty), as even people moderately familiar with hospitality would know.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:47 pm
Suspended

I didn’t ask about the OTAs suing hotels/hotel groups over these scam hotel fees. I asked if either of the mentioned big OTAs signed up to be on the side of any anti-resort fee cases being advanced by some AGs, and (if so) where is that filed support evident.

Blowing hot air and talking a good game — to appear to be consumer-friendly — for an audience at a conference or journalists isn’t an example of signing up to be on the side of any anti-resort fee cases being advanced by some AGs.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Longer term, I'd think this change will cause hotels to get rid of resort fees since there wouldn’t be much incentive to have them.
What about the $40-75/night they collect from guests doing award stays?
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:53 pm

I didn’t ask about the OTAs suing hotels/hotel groups over these scam hotel fees. I asked if either of the mentioned big OTAs signed up to be on the side of any anti-resort fee cases being advanced by some AGs, and (if so) where is that filed support evident.

Blowing hot air and talking a good game for an audience at a conference or journalists isn’t an example of signing up to be on the side of any anti-resort fee cases being advanced by some AGs.
Like I said:

That’s just not a valid heuristic. There is no logic in this line of thinking. OTAs don’t need to engage in your narrowly defined behavior to express displeasure with resort fees. All that is required is to demonstrate that they are engaging in behavior that discourages resort fees. Expedia, again the OTA Goliath as (most) people know, de-ranks hotels that charge resort fees.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Whether someone thinks “it’s a valid heuristic” or not, it’s rather telling when a response is given that isn’t an answer to the question asked.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
What about the $40-75/night they collect from guests doing award stays?
My guess is Marriott is probably fine with the properties continuing with that kind of thing as is — forever how long they can get away with it .

Airlines with their mileage programs charging fuel surcharges on award tickets unfortunately may have their equivalent with hotels doing the same scammy thing on award nights.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 21, 2021 at 5:03 pm
Old Nov 21, 2021, 5:06 pm

Whether someone thinks “it’s a valid heuristic” or not, it’s rather telling when a response is given that isn’t an answer to the question asked.
Telling of what? That they did not engage in this specific set of behavior? As far as I know, they did not. So what? The question is whether OTAs like resort fees. Where’s your response to the fact that the Goliath of OTAs open de-lists hotels that have resort fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.