Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:12 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Got bored so spent a weekend in Philadelphia… not a fan of this city but it was close and a change of scenery

W Hotel Philadelphia Problems (Cool Corner):

- Single paned glass windows…. in 2021………. Even Hyatt Places have this figured out
- windows aren’t tinted so people in the Ritz Residence next door can see you. The buildings are right next to each other.
- Carpet floors on a 2021 new dev. Don’t say it’s for noise insulation… they’re using single paned windows. It’s to save money.
- 9 foot ceilings with NO recessed lighting. Worst of both worlds as rooms are very dark and rooms do not feel very spacious. Fine for a normal full service hotel but NOT luxurious
- Cool corner column is terrible. The location is awkward (not sure if there are structural reasons) but the texture is rough and seems unfinished
- Floor plan is laughable. The foyer is the bathroom. You are in between the sink and the shower the moment you step in.
- The furniture is so cheap. The cabinet doors will straight up come off the hinges. Be careful.
- Only 1 nightstand when there’s room for 2. Why?!
- The wall facing the bed is entirely a window but the curtains won’t pull back all the way. Idk why
- No spot in front of the hotel for Ubers… it’s used for street parking

Pros:

- I liked the location, especially with the holiday market
- Service was not bad. Welcome gift was a handwritten note (slightly better than the typed note from the Ritz Philadelphia) and a box of Belgian chocolates. Doorman helped me load bags out of my Uber.
- The bar/club is pretty lit at night. A lot of interesting people but also a lot of NFT scammers.
- Great views
- Window opens (but ours is semi broken lol)
- blackout curtains were amazing

It’s obvious to me this is not a luxury hotel and that they cut many corners here. For the right price, I think it’s fine. I have a long list of cons but they’re really just pointing out why this is not a luxurious property. I prefer this to the Ritz and will return if they are suites.
reggiekush likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I just checked in for my second stay here. Property was mostly sold out online, so no corner rooms (suites still not for sale). The check-in agent walked me through room choices, and I decided on a Fabulous King on the north side. On this side, the windows aren't floor-to-ceiling (but no support column in the way), but I'm high enough on floor 47 to get past the RC Residences, and I have a lovely view of City Hall, the ice skating rink, and the Comcast Center. The Fabulous King has a more traditional layout where the bathroom isn't in the foyer (sink and shower in one room, toilet in another on the other side of the foyer).

The restaurant, Dolce, is open for breakfast (it wasn't when I was here in September), and I was told the credit is $40 for either Dolce or in-room dining.

The best part - I just made Ambassador, and an associate came by to drop off a nice box of artisan chocolate truffles and a welcome note about 15 minutes after I checked in.

P.S. It was pretty humorous watching the lady in front of me be shocked that her room was on the 40th floor - little did she know that 32 is the bottom floor here.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I'm curious as to why you think the building is unimpressive. It might be a tad "glass tower cookie cutter," but the compromise is that guests get floor-to-ceiling windows in most rooms. Perhaps, I have different standards for W properties, but I have always found that they skew modern over luxurious.

As for the Element piece, it's definitely the first time I've heard of this combination. I would assume they didn't want to add another Westin in the city (+ I imagine a W would make more money).

The suite piece is definitely annoying, though, especially as the Element has been open for a while before the W opened (lots of time to finish construction).
I think both Element and W cater to the same type of guests, young and style conscious. The main different is budget. I actually quite like the lay out of the building since people who pay more to stay at the W will always have a higher room than those staying at the Element.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:12 pm

Just had a stay here. SNA did not clear to a suite, but I was assigned a Cool Corner Room.

Arrived late, popped the window open, but it would not fully close. I like a cool room so pulled it mostly closed and slept well - but agree the construction quality is maybe a bit weak.

$40 credit only applies before 11am. I wasn’t informed of that at check-in or the restaurant when I arrived at 11 to eat. Reasonable policy I guess, but the front desk adjusted as an exception - also reasonable.

I liked the room vibe and design. Very comfy bed, quiet room and I slept well - that’s always job one for any hotel. I’d return.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Just had a stay here. SNA did not clear to a suite, but I was assigned a Cool Corner Room.

Arrived late, popped the window open, but it would not fully close. I like a cool room so pulled it mostly closed and slept well - but agree the construction quality is maybe a bit weak.

$40 credit only applies before 11am. I wasn’t informed of that at check-in or the restaurant when I arrived at 11 to eat. Reasonable policy I guess, but the front desk adjusted as an exception - also reasonable.

I liked the room vibe and design. Very comfy bed, quiet room and I slept well - that’s always job one for any hotel. I’d return.
How good is the air conditioning?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:01 pm

It was cold out last night, so didn't adjust the temperature. Also, the window was slightly open (then covered with the blackout curtains), so I didn't have any issue.

I did find the air pretty dry (the sheets were quite 'staticy' when I got into bed.

Being in a corner room, I was also furthest from the elevator - didn't notice any hallway noise at all (the room doors seemed heavy/solid).
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Just booked my 2nd stay within a two month period. The place is nice. Just hope they've gotten ride of that makeshift wind-break door setup, Looked cheap! I actually walked past the hotel thinking it was a storefront.

Still finding it hard to believe that this place sells out too. Have been toying with this weekend for about three weeks and finally some availability showed up last night. Wow!! Philly CC is in love with the new W I see!

The pool is nice and warm.I was the only person in the entire area for about 90 mins. And then only 2 people came to lounge and watch me swim. Wierd!

Was upgraded to a high floor corner room. Nice. The circular column in the room should have been reconsidered to fit in the room better. And that wasted closed area next to the tiny closet was no-win for me even though I was traveling semi-light. Just not enough space in my opinion. Hope the SNA goes through this time.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: all of 'em.
(barely) completed a one night stay this morning.
could not escape this property fast enough.
absolutely astounded that marriott/bonvoy allows this place to operate anywhere within its group, let alone branded in the 'luxury' category as a W.
as part of marriott international?
unbelievable.
it was, pound for pound, the worst hotel experience i've ever had. a true endurance test from beginning to end.
i guess i could go into a blow-by-blow if anyone wants. it'd be a really long post, and a really depressing one too. such was the seemingly never-ending ballet of serious issues encountered.

not sure about other luxury M/B options in philly. there's the ritz - antagonistically, right next to this W - but i think that might be it. i've stayed at that ritz twice before, neither time was a total wow experience, but next to this W it feels like the George V in paris.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Please elaborate so we can benefit from your experience!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Please elaborate so we can benefit from your experience!
man, it'd take a sec to do it justice. i'll try to find the time to post something meaningfully thorough.

i'm not sure how such a report would truly benefit anyone, other than simply compelling one not to stay there.

as a sneak preview i can offer that there was some huge record label event booked at the 'hotel', with huge populations of the absolute trashiest, scariest lifeforms swarming the lobby and elevators from 7pm-ish til the wee hours of the next morning?. how's that sound?

don't answer until you hear about the fistfight brawl in the lobby bar.

then the private security thug who shoved a group of four or five hotel guests back into the elevator - yes, physically moved us, and this guy looked like cee-lo plus 80 pounds, if cee-lo went to a gym incessantly - when we mistakenly attempted to exit the elevator on the wrong floor.

there was also a key card issue throughout the property, where no guests' cards could open doors to gym, garden, pool, etc. (not solved during the 20 hours i spent on site). guests pounding on the door(s) for other guests to let them out.

fire alarms going off at roughly 3:10 and then again at 4:30am.

this is the trailer. the full film is just so much worse. you may think you have experienced the worst W in all the land. but until youve been here, you haven't.

Last edited by cornwall4000; Mar 5, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
platbrownguy and cornwall4000 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cornwall4000
man, it'd take a sec to do it justice. i'll try to find the time to post something meaningfully thorough.

i'm not sure how such a report would truly benefit anyone, other than simply compelling one not to stay there.

as a sneak preview i can offer that there was some huge record label event booked at the 'hotel', with huge populations of the absolute trashiest, scariest lifeforms swarming the lobby and elevators from 7pm-ish til the wee hours of the next morning?. how's that sound?

don't answer until you hear about the fistfight brawl in the lobby bar.

then the private security thug who shoved a group of four or five hotel guests back into the elevator - yes, physically moved us, and this guy looked like cee-lo plus 80 pounds, if cee-lo went to a gym incessantly - when we mistakenly attempted to exit the elevator on the wrong floor.

there was also a key card issue throughout the property, where no guests' cards could open doors to gym, garden, pool, etc. (not solved during the 20 hours i spent on site). guests pounding on the door(s) for other guests to let them out.

fire alarms going off at roughly 3:10 and then again at 4:30am.

this is the trailer. the full film is just so much worse. you may think you have experienced the worst W in all the land. but until youve been here, you haven't.
A lot of this has to do with the event and guests who were there. So far I'm not seeing anything inherently wrong with the hotel

Btw, personally I'm not a fan of W and in general avoid the party vibe and dark aesthetic, but your description seems on brand for the place.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
A lot of this has to do with the event and guests who were there. So far I'm not seeing anything inherently wrong with the hotel

Btw, personally I'm not a fan of W and in general avoid the party vibe and dark aesthetic, but your description seems on brand for the place.
yeah. either i haven't done a very good job of explaining this property's manifold shortcomings, or you have misunderstood my citations.

i have experienced plenty of other W hotels. well familiar with the marque's fast-fading 'brand philosophy', and the type of traveler it once aimed to please. and i'm telling you that, far from being even a typical W, i found it to be a property near total disfunction this weekend. at any level of service or product.

unless youre suggesting the hotel guests are responsible for the events the hotel allows itself to book, how those events unfold and are managed, how the hotel's key system works (or doesn't/didn't), the hotel's fire alarm system disfunction...., etc etc

i don't personally feel responsible for any of that as a guest. on my home planet, each of the faults ive mentioned have zero to do with hotel guests (actual, paying, overnight guests) and everything to do with 'hotel management'..

i haven't even gotten to the inanity of the hard product: the elevators (wildly insufficient for a hotel with this kind of verticality, virtually every other patron i encountered complained about the long wait times), the room layouts (surely arranged and lit by andrea bocelli), the cigarette butts all over the 'secret garden'.... it goes on and on.

trust me, this is not about expecting too much or the wrong kind of 'luxury' from a W.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:06 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

When one pays a premium with or without a desirable group in house you deserve a reasonable experience
If I was in your shoes I would file a case with Marriott highlighting the most important issues

W for the most part always has been about the vibe and the scene and overcharging with some souped up decor
Every hotel company rushed to come up with a boutique hotel as they command higher ADRs
From the beginning in 2000 Starwood struggled to offer polished service like their other more established brands
However they tend to hire young more attractive inexperienced associates and that comes with a mixed outcome
Ive always liked the concept but moved onto more traditional upscale properties especially as I’m well past the party scene
I did have a great stay at W Scottsdale some years ago but I’ve moved onto other more traditional civilized experiences

Might try the new W in Sydney when it opens if they create a good property.
No matter where you stay experiences will vary widely.Every guest has his or her expectations and what pleases some yet makes another miserable.We all have to determine what is isolated and what is the norm
At the end of the day W Philadelphia has terribly dismal ratings in social media that’s always a warning sign typically
For that reason alone I would be highly hesitant as cheap motels have those kind of ratings
Something is off.Canopy & Kimpton in Philly score much higher
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
No matter where you stay experiences will vary widely.Every guest has his or her expectations and what pleases some yet makes another miserable
while the first sentence is true, some marques undoubtedly show a stronger proclivity towards consistency across brand than others. i would propose that W is generally not one of those brands, and never has been. they've put together acceptable products in some locations (union square nyc, south beach) and abysmal ones in others.

the second sentence is also true. of course preferences vary from traveler to traveler.
but honestly, is there a person out there who would prefer a hotel's fire alarm go off twice during the night? is there a guest that prefers waiting 10 mins for an empty-enough elevator to stop on their floor at 9am? or who prefers getting physically shoved? or locked out of all hotel amenities for the duration of their stay?
i mean, there's different tastes and all. no accounting for that, we're all different.
but there are certain faults and transgressions - moreover an accumulation of them - that simply obviate any reasonable questions of preference or taste. or even hotel class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.