FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   W Philadelphia [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2038293-w-philadelphia-master-thread.html)

nygiants242 Apr 19, 2021 8:58 am

W Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Just booked a stay here in early July. Anyone else planning to visit over the summer? Looks like it will be opening in May. Excited to see some reviews hopefully posted soon. I was a bit surprised/disappointed that Suite Night Awards were not able to be applied on the reservation. Any reason why this might be?

Here are some old construction shots: https://philly.curbed.com/2019/3/27/...t-drone-photos

ElevatorEnthusiast Jun 10, 2021 10:35 am

Originally Posted by nygiants242 (Post 33188721)
Just booked a stay here in early July. Anyone else planning to visit over the summer? Looks like it will be opening in May. Excited to see some reviews hopefully posted soon. I was a bit surprised/disappointed that Suite Night Awards were not able to be applied on the reservation. Any reason why this might be?

Here are some old construction shots: https://philly.curbed.com/2019/3/27/...t-drone-photos

Was your stay cancelled? Looks like reservations are now only open starting in August (I think the Element underneath is already open). It seems like this will be one of the only US W's that occupies the top half of a skyscraper so since many occupy the bottom floors of primarily residential buildings. I'm excited to hear reviews once it opens up!

nygiants242 Jun 13, 2021 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast (Post 33318243)
Was your stay cancelled? Looks like reservations are now only open starting in August (I think the Element underneath is already open). It seems like this will be one of the only US W's that occupies the top half of a skyscraper so since many occupy the bottom floors of primarily residential buildings. I'm excited to hear reviews once it opens up!

My reservation is still showing as confirmed and active (which is really weird - like you pointed out, reservations are only open as of August now).

I have heard nothing at all from the hotel. Is it possible we are still able to stay there in a more limited / soft open fashion? Or did they just forget? It’s a pretty bad and disappointing customer experience.

I’ve tried to call the hotel but the hotel website’s number just connects to a central call center without helpful information.

mikebor Jun 13, 2021 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by nygiants242 (Post 33326510)
My reservation is still showing as confirmed and active (which is really weird - like you pointed out, reservations are only open as of August now).

I have heard nothing at all from the hotel. Is it possible we are still able to stay there in a more limited / soft open fashion? Or did they just forget? It’s a pretty bad and disappointing customer experience.

I’ve tried to call the hotel but the hotel website’s number just connects to a central call center without helpful information.

Call the Element and ask to speak with the GM. If he isn't in leave a voicemail. I forget his name but he is the GM of both hotels.

nygiants242 Jun 14, 2021 7:15 am

Originally Posted by mikebor (Post 33326559)
Call the Element and ask to speak with the GM. If he isn't in leave a voicemail. I forget his name but he is the GM of both hotels.

Thanks for the tip - I appreciate it. I'll do that and share what I find out.

ElevatorEnthusiast Aug 20, 2021 8:31 am

The W officially opens today, per multiple local new outlets and other non-local outlets, such as https://thepointsguy.com/news/w-philadelphia-opening/.

I'm super glad it actually opened since I have a stay here in two weeks. Excited to experience it and report back!

Radiation Station Aug 20, 2021 9:03 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast (Post 33506135)
The W officially opens today, per multiple local new outlets and other non-local outlets, such as https://thepointsguy.com/news/w-philadelphia-opening/.

I'm super glad it actually opened since I have a stay here in two weeks. Excited to experience it and report back!

I hope you enjoy your stay. Do let us know how you get on!

777 global mile hound Aug 31, 2021 9:38 am

I was a huge fan of W hotels for decades and was excited to hear about it
Went right to their website to book saw the photos and froze
Perhaps just me but this has to be one of the ugliest hotels I’ve ever seen especially for a W
It looks like a death chamber or someone’s vision of their drug overdose on Halloween that has some design experience
Seriously a giant skull in the lobby ? Move the fake dead bodies in too?Ornate and overly wrought
what happened to clever, fresh & fun and simple modern luxury? Oh well at least it’s new
Philadelphia was in dire need of a good luxury hotel I couldn’t bring myself to booking it
Hopefully the photos don’t do it justice
This hotel is a candidate for the Onion award.Perhaps turn it into a Kimpton if it fails

mikebor Aug 31, 2021 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 33532968)
I was a huge fan of W hotels for decades and was excited to hear about it
Went right to their website to book saw the photos and froze
Perhaps just me but this has to be one of the ugliest hotels I’ve ever seen especially for a W
It looks like a death chamber or someone’s vision of their drug overdose on Halloween that has some design experience
Seriously a giant skull in the lobby ? Move the fake dead bodies in too?Ornate and overly wrought
what happened to clever, fresh & fun and simple modern luxury? Oh well at least it’s new
Philadelphia was in dire need of a good luxury hotel I couldn’t bring myself to booking it
Hopefully the photos don’t do it justice
This hotel is a candidate for the Onion award.Perhaps turn it into a Kimpton if it fails

You are way off. The hotel is fabulous. I am currently a long term guest at the Element next door and have walked all around the W and eaten there. The hotel imo is top notch and the food is excellent. I would definitely recommend staying there if you have the budget for it.

777 global mile hound Aug 31, 2021 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by mikebor (Post 33533655)
You are way off. The hotel is fabulous. I am currently a long term guest at the Element next door and have walked all around the W and eaten there. The hotel imo is top notch and the food is excellent. I would definitely recommend staying there if you have the budget for it.

I'll def tour it when I'm in town.Its just blocks from where I am staying
But its def not my design taste from early perception in the photos.It fairly inexpensive for my dates 230 dollars per night so certainly cost is very reasonable
As for the food happy to eat there if the food is good.One review on TripAdvisor from someone that drank there and raved about the bar but didn't stay there

zip10001 Aug 31, 2021 8:33 pm

The restaurant inside the W Hotel will be managed by LDV, of "Scarpetta" fame.

Menu below:
https://www.dolceitalianrestaurant.c.../philadelphia/

Dinner from Sept 9th 2021.

LlamaJesus Aug 31, 2021 8:49 pm

Got to go inside for a private tour back in June. The views from the top few floors are insanely good (can post some pics if anyone cares), and some of the suites are really cool. The decor and overall theming is a bit...eh, not my style, but my SO loved it. The pool area has the potential to be a hit over the summer months.

WasKnown Aug 31, 2021 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by LlamaJesus (Post 33534508)
Got to go inside for a private tour back in June. The views from the top few floors are insanely good (can post some pics if anyone cares), and some of the suites are really cool. The decor and overall theming is a bit...eh, not my style, but my SO loved it. The pool area has the potential to be a hit over the summer months.

please post!

777 global mile hound Aug 31, 2021 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by zip10001 (Post 33534487)
The restaurant inside the W Hotel will be managed by LDV, of "Scarpetta" fame.

Menu below:
https://www.dolceitalianrestaurant.c.../philadelphia/

Dinner from Sept 9th 2021.

Appreciate the post.Does look pretty good……will give it a try post some reviews from others 😎

arlflyer Sep 1, 2021 6:30 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 33532968)

Honestly, I've always found the W brand in general to be gaudy and trashy, like some blend of an Austin Powers movie set and a nightclub of ill repute...I guess that's why we're each entitled to our own opinion. :D