Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: all of 'em.
Originally Posted by mikebor
Stay at the Element connected to the W. It's a great hotel, I would highly recommend it.
Have heard good things. There doesn't seem to be much wrong w that shared building, the floor-to-ceiling windows available at both are nice (if sort of amazingly noisy at the W). The side I was on - a quite-high floor, obviously - had about 1/3rd of a 'city' view, the other 2/3rds was taken up looking into the condos of the RC residences about 50 yards across the way.. May be less of an issue for Element on lower floors.

But yes, might try Element. I tend to go for something a little more upscale, especially if client is paying. But from just observing through the windows, l'll bet at the very least that Element represents a great value for a clean, modern hotel in center city.
As for truly 'upscale' (if not luxury) hotels, though, there are much better, similarly-priced, similarly-starred hotels to this W close by. I won't list all the myriad Bonvoy places around town in gen, but the RC next door to start. (A little more $, depending on when you're booking and what room class, and not the best RC i've stayed at, but night and day to its next door neighbor.).
Out of brand, there's a couple other Kimptons close by that are quite nice. A Canopy (an HH brand that i think gets a whole right within its price-point, and on a consistent basis). Depending on when booking, how booking, time of year, etc you can even find rates similar to W's/RC's at the Rittenhouse. Which is a truly fine hotel. FS is still too obscenely priced for me to even consider but I'm sure it's dreamy.

Sorry, i know this is a Bonvoy sub.
Yep, that Element looks way more enjoyable than the attached W. Good location too.

Last edited by cornwall4000; Apr 4, 2023 at 3:12 pm
Old Apr 22, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
The hotel's franchisee is being sued for being negligent in ensuring a safe premises which contributed to the plaintiff's assault. The lawsuit said there were 38 violent crimes reported at or near the property in the 6 months leading up to the assault.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/center-c...rriott-safety/
Old Apr 22, 2023, 4:08 pm

wow. philly having a really tough go of it lately.
violent crime up everywhere, but the curve feels more severe in philadelphia.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 8:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by cornwall4000
wow. philly having a really tough go of it lately.
violent crime up everywhere, but the curve feels more severe in philadelphia.
The suspects all were between 11-14 years old. Think about that. What kind of parenting or lack thereof that your 11 year old is hanging out with 8 others older and walking around center city Philadelphia at night? Parents won't but imo they should be charged as well.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:27 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by RK23
The hotel's franchisee is being sued for being negligent in ensuring a safe premises which contributed to the plaintiff's assault. The lawsuit said there were 38 violent crimes reported at or near the property in the 6 months leading up to the assault.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/center-c...rriott-safety/
At first I assumed the assault took place inside the hotel.

This is a very unfortunate (and given the age of the perpetrators, disturbing) incident but it sounds like the plaintiff is looking for the deep pocket in this case, which is the property owner. Not sure how liable a property owner of a building in a dense urban area is for crimes that occur on public sidewalks in the building's vicinity.
TerryK and cornwall4000 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The plaintiff is represented by one of the famous ambulance chasers, Morgan & Morgan.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by dw
At first I assumed the assault took place inside the hotel.

This is a very unfortunate (and given the age of the perpetrators, disturbing) incident but it sounds like the plaintiff is looking for the deep pocket in this case, which is the property owner. Not sure how liable a property owner of a building in a dense urban area is for crimes that occur on public sidewalks in the building's vicinity.
Full agreement. I also felt a bit surprised (and conciliatory towards the property, upon learning).

Still, one wonders how often it happens in front of M/B branded places in far worse philly neighborhoods than Chestnut/16th.

And having had a horrific stay where I personally felt unsafe while inside the hotel, plus the gaggle of pimpled, temple-undergrad-looking 'valets' consorting with each other helping no one, paying zero attention to anything.
Not at all hard for me to believe they did nothing. Or even noticed.

Maybe not an indictment of the property but, again, emblematic of the serious violence (gun violence in partics) Philly's been spiraling down through for several years now....
Old Feb 17, 2024, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
It is sad the previous six posts are about crime and trouble in the hotel which are now completely out of date given it is almost one year later. The postings almost put me off going to Philadelphia in the first place - however, my concerns were unfounded and I am glad I took the trip.

I stayed at the W Philadelphia last week in what is one of the newest W branded hotels in Marriott‘s extensive collection, and I am pleased to report that I found everything to be of a particularly high standard.

We were given a room weigh up on the 43rd floor with my FNA clearing several days prior.

The suite which consisted of a living room and separate bedroom area offering incredible views on two sides of the Philadelphia skyline and surrounding city.

The hotel itself also appears to be of a firm build with decent public areas and a really lovely adjoining restaurant, Dulce, where Breakfast is enjoyed six days a week (although not on a Monday when it is closed).

We arrived on a busy Friday night and the Welcome Agents could barely hear us speak as a booming party was taking place in the Living Room of the hotel. The staff did the best they could and attempted to explain all of the benefits of the hotel.

Overall the staff were friendly and provided me with extra towels each night and were quick to erect a cot and additional rollaway bed for children.

Breakfast at Dulce was also a similarly high standard and we also ate here one evening. I found the food to be excellent at both mealtime.

Sadly, the Breakfast Amenity only provides a $40 credit rather than the entire breakfast to be covered. Nevertheless, this brought the level of the bill down to a more acceptable level. Why anybody would go for points rather than $40 a day in food and beverage credit is beyond me. On the day, the restaurant was closed for breakfast we enjoyed in room dining where the menu was exactly the same and even price complete with delivery fees and tips was about the same.

The seventh floor of the hotel has a heated open air swimming pool, which was a fabulous way to spend a chilly winter's evening, with the buildings of Philadelphia looming overhead. The water temperature of the pool was that of a hot bath. The only downside Was when getting out of the swimming pool, the chilly winter air made it most uncomfortable. We scurried around to the side entrance in order to get back into the warmth of our room, and this I would say, is the only downside to the warmth of a winters dip.

Overall, I would not hesitate to stay here again on a future visit to the 'City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection'.

There are plenty of other Marriott hotels in the area, including The Notary, The Ritz-Carlton, The Residence Inn, and Le Méridien, but it was exciting to try a brand-new W in what is a fun and vibrant city to visit.

Last edited by Johnny Rocket; Feb 17, 2024 at 6:54 pm
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:52 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Thoughts on WOW vs. Mega vs. Marvelous Suites for NUA usage? The layouts online seem a bit confusing and hard to discern from the photos.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:24 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Thoughts on WOW vs. Mega vs. Marvelous Suites for NUA usage? The layouts online seem a bit confusing and hard to discern from the photos.
Disregard this question as my NUA cleared for the WOW Suite.
TerryK likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Disregard this question as my NUA cleared for the WOW Suite.
Looking forward to read your review of WOW Suite.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Looking forward to read your review of WOW Suite.
As am I! This will be my third stay here but the first in any sort of suite.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I was here last weekend. Lobby was so loud & crowded like a nightclub. There was also some illicit smell going around.

Basic room was good but not great. Imperfections and minor issues was noticeable. Room cleaning everyday. Beds are a little soft. Shower pressure was a little weak. Views were beautiful. Staff was mixed on service. It really doesn't cost anything to greet people, explain basic things in details or smile a little. Overall, I prefer the Notary over the W.

If anyone is curious, breakfast choice is still $40 credit for the plat & above
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sirtiger
I was here last weekend. Lobby was so loud & crowded like a nightclub. There was also some illicit smell going around.......
This reads like a typical W on weekends.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:03 pm

there are atill some decent w's left in america - minneapolis, westwood come to mind - but this philly version was a total fail for me.

element and ritz on either side of it offer exponentially better MB experiences.

shame, as the hard product is decent, views are good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.