Wiki Posts
Search

Worth "chasing" Ambassador status?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Worth "chasing" Ambassador status?

As it stands right now, I have 75 nights for 2021. If I end up staying at all currently booked Bonvoy properties for the rest of the year, I will have 98/99 nights. There are a bunch of unbooked nights that COULD be steered to Bonvoy, but it might not be my first choice of hotel. Worth making sure a few more nights are in Bonvoy props? I have never made Ambassador before, are the perks and upgrades (both % of upgrades and quality) significantly better than titanium? Obviously a handful of extra Bonvoy nights isn't a huge commitment.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 747-800i
As it stands right now, I have 75 nights for 2021. If I end up staying at all currently booked Bonvoy properties for the rest of the year, I will have 98/99 nights. There are a bunch of unbooked nights that COULD be steered to Bonvoy, but it might not be my first choice of hotel. Worth making sure a few more nights are in Bonvoy props? I have never made Ambassador before, are the perks and upgrades (both % of upgrades and quality) significantly better than titanium? Obviously a handful of extra Bonvoy nights isn't a huge commitment.
What's your YTD spend with Marriott so far?

David
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Yea, go for it.
I assume you will meet the 14k spend requirement in addition to the 100 nights?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
What's your YTD spend with Marriott so far?

David
Do they keep a running tab on the website? Haven't checked.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rebadc
Yea, go for it.
I assume you will meet the 14k spend requirement in addition to the 100 nights?
For sure, the 4 nights at StR Bora Bora will take care of more than half on their own (sadly) haha.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
If you've got the spend then yeah, no reason not to go for it. The anecdotal reports around here do reflect better treatment in the form of welcome amenities, upgrades, etc., even if the actual "ambassador" part appears to be substantially reduced. The benefits may not be too reliable, but they seem to be enough to make it worthwhile to chip a few additional nights Bonvoy's way. I would, anyhow, if I end up hitting the spend... though at 87 nights and $2700 YTD, it seems unlikely!
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No it is not worth it. There's essentially no marginal benefit. Discussed in several threads.

Ambassador vs Titanium

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html
rogo, rylan, EuropeanPete and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Do they keep a running tab on the website? Haven't checked.
Running tab kept on both the website and the app. For 2021, Marriott is seeking $14K to make it to Ambassador.

David
YYJMSP likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Kacee
No it is not worth it. There's essentially no marginal benefit. Discussed in several threads.

Ambassador vs Titanium

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html
I concur. Marriott gutted the tier. The service isn’t worth chasing; though, if you’ll hit it organically go for it.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I will probably break 100 nights in the next week or 2...but will be well into 2022 before I get to the spend requirement - and probably 2023 until I get enough points for a free night in some place night.... and since the benefits are the same as Titanium, it is unclear what the benefit it....
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Would not recommend it.... If you are "chasing" status, I think you'd be better off trying to get Hilton Gold/Diamond or Hyatt Globalist, or staying at some amazing independent properties through Virtuoso, FHR, etc.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
The only answer is what would you get out of it and is it worth the additional effort/cost. I find ambassadors are not proactive, but they are good at fixing problems. That works for me. I don't need, or want, anyone to be proactive. I generally know what I want. I just need someone to assist me in getting it. For example, on upcoming hotel stays I will often ask the ambassador to reach out to the hotel and ask to pre-upgrade me into a specific suite, one that is rarely included in the upgrade pool. 50/50 success rate, but still much better than I would likely have gotten on my own. My other use for an ambassador is handling problems. It's nice to dash of an e-mail and have them fix the issue. Again, those are my values and the ambassadors handle that well. You many have different needs which may or may not be served by the ambassadors. That's my advice.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by clarkef
The only answer is what would you get out of it and is it worth the additional effort/cost. I find ambassadors are not proactive, but they are good at fixing problems.
Just to be clear, personalized ambassador service no longer exists. It was cut by Marriott shortly after the pandemic began and they have never restored it.

You now email a pool of agents who may or may not provide service that is better than what you get from generic Marriott cs.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
so what does Ambassador level actually get you other than an email address for things that you cant solve on your own?
.... the few minor issues that I have had with recent travel have all be easily addressed by directing contacting the property in question
.... but maybe my overall expectations and needs are relatively low - not that I am critical of those who need more support for their difficult/complex travel plans
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:51 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
If you happen upon it organically and without actively going out of your way for it, fine. Other than that, don't waste your time or money on Marriott and focus your energy on World of Hyatt.

khabah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.