Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Experiences 2021 and Onward (Discussion Thread)

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Experiences 2021 and Onward (Discussion Thread)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 13, 21, 5:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: hhoope01
Wiki Link
Previous years discussions can be found in the Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador elite level experiences 2020 and earlier thread.


Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156




Print Wikipost

Old Jan 8, 21, 9:28 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: LDN / NY
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 249
Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Experiences 2021 and Onward (Discussion Thread)

So having made Amb for the first time this year I've never experienced the personal ambassador, though the person that reached out to welcome me etc seemed friendly and informed. He also managed to get me some additional points for missing the vouchers that were sent out for Ambs in Nov as I should have made it in time but my last stay took 14 days to log.

Anyway, I just attempted to use the Amb line for the first time, I'm trying to get the email for a GM at a hotel. Called up the main line, through within about 15 seconds and the person that answered took the request and although they couldn't find it, said they will email me back directly(or have them email me directly?). Let's see what happens, and see how long it takes?!
jjLDNY is offline  
Old Jan 9, 21, 1:16 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 449
Originally Posted by jjLDNY View Post
So having made Amb for the first time this year I've never experienced the personal ambassador, though the person that reached out to welcome me etc seemed friendly and informed. He also managed to get me some additional points for missing the vouchers that were sent out for Ambs in Nov as I should have made it in time but my last stay took 14 days to log.

Anyway, I just attempted to use the Amb line for the first time, I'm trying to get the email for a GM at a hotel. Called up the main line, through within about 15 seconds and the person that answered took the request and although they couldn't find it, said they will email me back directly(or have them email me directly?). Let's see what happens, and see how long it takes?!
Really ??? If I remember in the past at SPG, I don't need Ambassador status to do this things as you wrote.
HHQX888 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 21, 7:28 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: LDN / NY
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by HHQX888 View Post
Really ??? If I remember in the past at SPG, I don't need Ambassador status to do this things as you wrote.
Don't get me wrong, I know this is probably(?) one of the least interesting use cases for an Ambassador, I before hitting it would just call myself. However, as I was enquiring about a hotel I haven't stayed at before, I figure a referral may yield a different answer to my enquiries. And as an update, the hotel did reach out to me within 2 hours, which isn't bad. No GM at the moment so the manager reached out.

Anyway, open to hear of more exciting things I can put it to use for if you have some suggestions?
jjLDNY is offline  
Old Jan 9, 21, 9:06 am
  #4  
formerly damnyourefine
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: On a plane or a beach
Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Posts: 1,226
Originally Posted by jjLDNY View Post
So having made Amb for the first time this year I've never experienced the personal ambassador, though the person that reached out to welcome me etc seemed friendly and informed. He also managed to get me some additional points for missing the vouchers that were sent out for Ambs in Nov as I should have made it in time but my last stay took 14 days to log.

Anyway, I just attempted to use the Amb line for the first time, I'm trying to get the email for a GM at a hotel. Called up the main line, through within about 15 seconds and the person that answered took the request and although they couldn't find it, said they will email me back directly(or have them email me directly?). Let's see what happens, and see how long it takes?!
welcome to the club!

Interesting data point as whenever I have asked for a hotel GMs email the AMB team always said they cannot disclose it due to “privacy”. Then, I hang up and call the hotel front desk and the hotel gives it out without a care.
xexs likes this.
anteater is offline  
Old Jan 9, 21, 11:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
Posts: 2,078
Originally Posted by jjLDNY View Post

Anyway, open to hear of more exciting things I can put it to use for if you have some suggestions?
Those General Ambassador Service did have fast response time as they handled by multiple people across different time zones.
While personal ambassador usually works during certain working hours in their time zone.

As for exciting things you can use your ambassador team, most I can think is contact the hotel concierge to make a dinner/theatre reservation for you.
kaizen7 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 21, 1:54 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 449
@kaizen7: If I try too book LaPerle tickets in Dubai using Ambassador office, I had answer it is not possible, pls. go to web site and book by yourself.
HHQX888 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 21, 4:37 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,991
Originally Posted by HHQX888 View Post
@kaizen7: If I try too book LaPerle tickets in Dubai using Ambassador office, I had answer it is not possible, pls. go to web site and book by yourself.
Not sure this is something the Ambassaodr team would be able to help with for several years, back in the early days of the scheme withing SPG they would be able to no issue at all but once it went official even withing SPG would be less likely. What would have happened would be if you had a hotel booked within SPG they would contact the concierge locally of the hotel your booked into and ask them to get you a prace and thus tickets for it and to be fair I assume you have a reservation for a Marriott property in Dubai and is very dissapointing they could not reach out to that concierge to arrange. Disappointing to say the least, but hey this is Marriott remember!
UKTraveller4Fun is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 3:57 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 449
Yes, I know what was under SPG umbrella. My booking was in old W Dubai /this same building as LaPerle show/, yess this is now Marriott - but I have now bookings on Hyatt till end of January that I have top tier.
HHQX888 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 21, 2:04 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BHX
Programs: BA GGL CCR, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Posts: 6,715
Originally Posted by HHQX888 View Post
Yes, I know what was under SPG umbrella. My booking was in old W Dubai /this same building as LaPerle show/, yess this is now Marriott - but I have now bookings on Hyatt till end of January that I have top tier.
The old W hotel where La Perle is held is now a Hilton, and has been for a couple of years. So if you're not staying in a Marriott in Dubai for the local Concierge to help, I'm not surprised AMB were unable to assist.
Wozza2404 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 21, 5:51 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 449
I had this situation in the past when hotel was still in Marriott network, you thing 'couple of years' but this is a reminder rebranding Habtoor hotels took place in Aug.2018
HHQX888 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 21, 12:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
Posts: 2,078
W Dubai and St Regis Dubai that reflagged to Hilton I believe ?

Anyway, back to ambassador experience topic, what everyone think about reduction ambassador threshold for 2021 to $14k?
With 50 nights will be deposited in Feb if members currently an ambassador, it will only require 50 nights stay.
at average $280/ night


Worth the value? meh? definitely not worth the value?
kaizen7 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 21, 12:48 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: LDN / NY
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
W Dubai and St Regis Dubai that reflagged to Hilton I believe ?

Anyway, back to ambassador experience topic, what everyone think about reduction ambassador threshold for 2021 to $14k?
With 50 nights will be deposited in Feb if members currently an ambassador, it will only require 50 nights stay.
at average $280/ night


Worth the value? meh? definitely not worth the value?
Stupid decision that will delay the much needed revamp of the status. As it currently stands, the mass majority of Ambs will say that the Ambassadors are middle-men that are slower than calling the hotel directly, and Your24 is rarely useful, and rarely accepted. The only reason to go for the status is for its prestige (which is why we're all here really isn't it ).

But on a serious note, people should not strive for just prestige. The status needs to be revamped or simply have its % increased over and above Titanium, even if it were to 80%. It at current delivers no real value over Titanium.

Marriott needs to see the number of Ambs dwindle to speed up the revamp. Not inflate it with discounted entry requirements to make themselves feel like it's a worthwhile status.
jjLDNY is offline  
Old Jan 13, 21, 2:57 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 449
@kaizen7 definitely not worth the value for me. You will see again in 2022 more members as Ambassador and Marriott will hire again external call center staffs as Ambassador staffs w/o any experience - and you will have as member 'very good' support .
HHQX888 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 21, 4:37 am
  #14  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Programs: SAS EBD, BA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Posts: 530
Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
Anyway, back to ambassador experience topic, what everyone think about reduction ambassador threshold for 2021 to $14k?
With 50 nights will be deposited in Feb if members currently an ambassador, it will only require 50 nights stay.
at average $280/ night
Or for US Credit Card holders (up to 30 status nights) and choosers of 2*5 status nights as Annual Choice "gift", Ambassador requlification will only require 10 status nights or 5 actual nights under the double nights promotion in 2021 at average of $2800 (pre tax).... Even at Manhatten or San Francisco rates that will require quite a bar tab...

Seriously though, since the same math applies to US Titaniums with Credit Cards, these will requalify with only 1(!) night and no spending requirements in 2021, so Ambassador status may actually be needed to get any kind of priority in a year where everybody in US will be Titanium !
raunow is offline  
Old Jan 13, 21, 6:11 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,991
Originally Posted by raunow View Post
Or for US Credit Card holders (up to 30 status nights) and choosers of 2*5 status nights as Annual Choice "gift", Ambassador requlification will only require 10 status nights or 5 actual nights under the double nights promotion in 2021 at average of $2800 (pre tax).... Even at Manhatten or San Francisco rates that will require quite a bar tab...

Seriously though, since the same math applies to US Titaniums with Credit Cards, these will requalify with only 1(!) night and no spending requirements in 2021, so Ambassador status may actually be needed to get any kind of priority in a year where everybody in US will be Titanium !
While I do think Marriott have made things to easy overall and especially announcing it so early in the year, which means there could be very little incentive to stay at Marriott later in the year if they don't have great promos.
​​​​​​It is worth remembering the numbers you quote are to qualify for a status they already held (so not an increase in membership from 2019/20), the bigger question is how many Golds / Plats will it inspire to push on for Plat/Titanium and if that's a lot that could help Marriott later in the year, but indeed make 2022 the year status with Marriot really gets diluted due to sheer volume!

The only plus I can see is by announcing they still have a spread threshold for Ambassador it seems like they intend to keep the status around and I don't think even Marriott can believe they can run it how it currently is once Covid eases and they no longer have the excuse to hide behind.
UKTraveller4Fun is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: