Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What would you deemed appropriate Comp?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you deemed appropriate Comp?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2020, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Wickersley
If had happened to me. I would have explained to the waiter, gone upstairs & changed.

Lets remember the OP said that their pants were "wet'

Having changed, I would have handed my pants to the front desk, explained the situation; having had that verified (by the waiter) & asked them to be dry cleaned.

That's reasonable.

Upon checking out, the remedy is simple.

I'm not blaming the "OP"; however I can see the hotels point of view "after the event"
This isn't always easy or practical--for example, the OP could be leaving the hotel (and the city/country) early the next morning. It's not unreasonable to plan to take the pants to one's own trusted dry cleaner upon return home, at one's convenience. It's also easy to underestimate the extent of the damage and perhaps (for example, if hosting business guests or simply to attempt to enjoy the remainder of a special meal or evening) to try to minimize the incident when it occurs and not make a fuss at the time.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

You can dissect this any which way.
The pants were definitely new-ish.
Was just curious to see what others thought they will be giving with regards to point amounts.
Will report back.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I would ask for the equivalent of one free night. Cat 6 is 50K pts, cat 7 is 60K pts and cat 8 is 85K pts.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 1:10 pm

It's an interesting situation.

Though I can afford it I can't imagine spending $700 on a pair of pants. Lol. Once you do that you take on some risk of life. This was a simple mistake and mistakes happen. It sucks for everybody involved - OP, hotel, busboy, etc.....

Having said that, my first instinct is 50k points. Not enough to really pay back for the pants but a nice gesture.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I have no knowledge of whether soy sauce permanently stains or not, but you can sure tell its aroma. I'm surprised you could sit in soy sauce and only think your pants were "wet". I agree that negotiating in the moment is always best - asking up front for cleaning would be the first course of action. Let the hotel take care of it with their in-house cleaning services. Then they could see themselves that the stain was permanent, and I then think your starting point for negotiating a settlement would have been much stronger.

The problem with Marriott is that I've been promised points on several occasions (nothing as serious as this) and even after following up they have never appeared. I will also be waiting to hear the outcome - not just the promise of points, but whether you actually get them.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 5:36 pm

Gonna agree with an above responder. A restaurant cannot possibly take responsibility for $700 pants. Even if they were at fault, it would seem their maximum expected liability would be for far lass than that. Offer something fair, but not $700.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pfreet
Gonna agree with an above responder. A restaurant cannot possibly take responsibility for $700 pants. Even if they were at fault, it would seem their maximum expected liability would be for far lass than that. Offer something fair, but not $700.
Not sure I agree with taking responsibility part. Frankly that is their job.
Had they adequately taken care of the situation I would not be in this situation.

Any rate points are what I will be getting.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 7:25 pm

Im going to go against the grain and disagree here, with *no* disrepespect intended.

If Im out and about and a waiter accidentally spills some wine on my $50 jeans, Im not demanding compensation from Chilis.

Similarly, if Im at a more expensive establishment and an honest-to-goodness-accident results in the loss of more expensive clothing, Im not going to lose my cool over it.

As long as it is a legit accident, then Im going to file it under unfortunate but 🤷

Im not going to start being that guy just bc my clothes are more expensive.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pfreet
Im going to disagree. OP didnt wear his $700 pants to a pool bar at some trashy Sheraton and get chlorine on them. This was a fine dining restaurant at an RC, where you likely dont leave for under $150-200 a head. Restaurant/hotel is completely responsible for this, the absolute least they could offer is a comp night and an apology from the manager asking the guest to give them another chance.
EuropeanPete and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
The more I think about it, wouldn't the hotel's insurance cover reimbursement? It truly was their fault. This was not "bad service", this was really getting an expensive pair of pants ruined. They should have taken that table out of service or made sure it was clean and dry.

They are at an advantage because by giving you points, you will again stay at one of their hotels and spend money. They have not lost anything. But the OP would still have to spend $700 if she indeed wanted to replace those pants.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I was at a Waldorf where there was a flood in the shower. I had my clothes cleaned and they ruined my pants. $200 AGs. Offered me a free for all in the boutique to replace them. Didnt find anything suitable. So went to Nordstrom bought a new pair and got the cost taken off my bill. Quite fair. Also a nice upgrade after the shower accident.
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 4:04 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
You can get travel insurance that covers your clothes, it costs maybe 10 dollars at Hathaway Berkshire
Old Aug 24, 2020, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Replacement of pants.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Wickersley
I cannot imagine any Bonvoy hotel providing this level of value to protect "the brand" unless it was a very regular guest in the actual hotel.
happened to me many years ago at a st regis that i was staying in for the first time....my wife had hung her suede/leather branded bag (a fairly expensive one) behind her chair while we were having dinner....the waiter was serving guests at the table just behind us & dropped the tray of food, most of which landed on my wife's bag, completely ruining it in the process....the hotel was very apologetic & eventually the manager decided to comp us our 2 night stay....which in turn was still less than the value of the bag but given that the bag was a couple of years old, we decide to take that as acceptable compensation....
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not about points and comped nights, it is about reimbursing OP's loss.

OP should have turned the pants in at the front desk along with a forwarding address if necessary. A decent property would have either attempted cleaning and shipped them to OP or determined that the pants could not be cleaned and then reimbursed OP for the FMV of the pants. For something expensive, I would expect to supply a receipt or live with something more reasoned. The reimbursement ought to be in cash unless one agrees to take it in points or whatever.

If not turned in and handled as above, then I guess you just hope for something as a customer service gesture. "Demand" is a terrible term to use in the context. I would simply supply the cost and age of the pants and leave it at that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.