Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What would you deemed appropriate Comp?

What would you deemed appropriate Comp?

Old Aug 24, 20, 7:02 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,112
I think anytime you are seeking any type of comp. its important to start with the least you would expect. Like with any dealings in life.. the business will always start with
what they think you will be happy with.
In the OP case.. its hard for me to judge.. mostly because I dont own a $700 pair of pants.....but I would have probably been happy with enough points for a couple nights of hotel.
fotographer is offline  
Old Aug 24, 20, 8:04 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 5,975
How can something like that happen in these COVID days? Does the staff not have to ensure that the chair and table are sanitized after prior use?
MSPeconomist likes this.
IluvSQ is offline  
Old Aug 24, 20, 8:47 am
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
How can something like that happen in these COVID days? Does the staff not have to ensure that the chair and table are sanitized after prior use?
On a padded fabric covered chair, I don't really see how much sanitization could be done beyond spraying it down with Lysol, nor do I really see the point as all that's going to touch the seat of the chair is ones hopefully clothed bottom.

Now, with that said I'm sure the restaurant was not at capacity and they could have easily rotated the soy sauce chair out for a different one.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Aug 24, 20, 12:30 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,503
I have seen a lot of posts for comping 2 nights. OP mentioned the stay was 850/night

Wouldn't 2 nights be too much comp in that case?

Also going by the rate + dinner cost, it shouldn't be that difficult for RC to comp a reasonable% (say 50%) of a 700$ pants
JMorgana likes this.
vishalgupta22 is offline  
Old Aug 24, 20, 2:03 pm
  #35  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb
Posts: 5,640
The typical resolution would be for the hotel to reimburse you for the dry cleaning. However, since the pants have been declared beyond repairable (must be some fancy linen/silk blend), negotiate with the hotel to see if they would willing to compensate you with points that's equivalent of 1 night stay there. This would be more than equitable, since the room rate is more than the value of the pants.

Although this being the Ritz, they may go above and beyond and buy you a new pair of pants and also pay for the alteration.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Because the hotel was the one that ruined the guest's item?

If a waiter drops a bottle of wine on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and destroys it, the hotel doesn't get to simply replace my phone with a Nokia 3310 because at the end of the day they're both phones.
If that's the case, they a) move you to another table because of the glass shards; b) bring another bottle of wine, probably on the house; and c) collect information for a damage report in order to file an insurance claim on your behalf to settle the loss. At that point, the customer would be dealing with the insurance company for settlement, which is typically the replacement value of the phone.

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
How can something like that happen in these COVID days? Does the staff not have to ensure that the chair and table are sanitized after prior use?
Sanitation uses the antibacterial spray, which kills all bacteria and virus on the surface, but it does not remove the residual soy sauce on the cushion.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Aug 24, 20, 4:23 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BNA (Nashville)
Programs: HH Diamond
Posts: 6,051
Originally Posted by Helpmeout
Realizing after my pants are ruined, I wrote a review when the hotel asked for feedback. I wasn't expecting any type of comp but the manager stated he was going to have points credited to my account. What would you deem appropriate? Given the price tag, etc. My expectations are min but curious as to if this has happened to anyone else?
It sucks that your pants got ruined. Sorry that this happened to you. As for what your expectations from the manager, it will be interesting to see what he comes up with. You state your weren't really expecting any compensation, so I suppose any goodwill gesture is possible, up to, and including the amount of points required for a stay in the hotel.

I guess only you can decide what the appropriate points you would find acceptable. I guess if I owned any slacks that expensive, I would want at least 50K-60K points. But I don't think that is what you will be offered. I'd be interested in hearing what they do offer you.
bitterproffit is offline  
Old Aug 24, 20, 6:41 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 3,360
This thread is a perfect example of why there's no such thing as "appropriate compensation" in these types of situations.

I've told this story a bunch of times, so forgive me if you've read it before.

One of my past jobs was Night Manager during the soft opening of a hotel. The building was closed, gutted down to the structural walls, and rebuilt. We opened weeks too early. That fact meant our first guests experienced a huge number of inconveniences that never should have happened in a fully operational hotel.

During that period, my nights consisted of taking complaints and offering compensation. (I'd sometimes have a line!) I quickly learned that different guests reacted quite differently to the same offer of compensation to fix the same problem.

In fact, a small number some of guests viewed any offer of compensation to be offensive. Those people usually wanted a sincere apology and an explanation of how the stuff will be doing things differently to try to stop the issue from every happening again.

Once I shifted to a "What can we do for you to make up for the problem?" approach, that job got much easier. If guests were unsure, I'd respond with a "other guests have asked for X", with X being a relatively low-value item. I started low because I didn't want to give away the farm, so to speak. (It was a for-profit business, after all.)

My point behind this isn't that I don't think the OP should ask for opinions. There's nothing wrong with that. But, you're not going to find a consensus. Ask for what you want to make you whole...not what other FlyerTalkers say you should get.

Additionally, different hotels or even different managers within the same hotel will have different approaches to compensation. As such, if the OP provides the negotiated resolution, anyone reading this in the future when faced with a similar damaged item of clothing shouldn't view that resolution as what should happen for them.

TL;DR: Compensation is personal. There will be no consensus. What one guest expects might be very different for another.
TerryK, SPN Lifer, Zorak and 1 others like this.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Aug 24, 20 at 6:43 pm Reason: Added final line.
writerguyfl is offline  
Old Aug 24, 20, 7:09 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by Helpmeout
basically after my dry cleaners said they could not remove. So one day after. At time I didn’t know they were ruined. Simply just drenched. Had I’d known prior to checking out I would have made a much bigger deal but I’m also not a dick as most of these higher end hotels have to deal with divas. Accidents happen but my pants are in the trash.
Advice #'s 1-20:

Don't ask the people on here for advice on anything to do with "compensation". i am an Ambassador for Marriott and the majority of posters here have little if any empathy or sympathy for the OP's in regards to hotel screw ups and compensation. I rarely post but lurk a lot and read lots of these threads.

My advice as an Ambassador employee(even though you are Platinum) is to arrange a call to the GM. The Ritz is a high end Marriott property and they should bend over backwards to give you fair and lots of times above and beyond compensation resolution.

Hope this helps.

My manager read this and he thinks you should be compensated for the cost of the pants obv, 1-2 free nights at the hotel and 75,000 points.
SummitBars is offline  
Old Aug 24, 20, 8:03 pm
  #39  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 24,156
Originally Posted by SummitBars
.

My manager read this and he thinks you should be compensated for the cost of the pants obv, 1-2 free nights at the hotel and 75,000 points.
If your mgr worked for me and gave this away, he wouldnt be working for me any longer. I could see todays value of the pants (used no longer new) and either 2 nights or 75K but not both.the exception being if the OP was a reg with us at The Hotel and dropped a nice amount of $$s with us every year, then Id see it as a cost of doing biz
craz is offline  
Old Aug 24, 20, 8:22 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SacTown, Cali
Posts: 1,220
Originally Posted by craz
If your mgr worked for me and gave this away, he wouldnt be working for me any longer. I could see todays value of the pants (used no longer new) and either 2 nights or 75K but not both.the exception being if the OP was a reg with us at The Hotel and dropped a nice amount of $$s with us every year, then Id see it as a cost of doing biz
I agree. All of that seems like way too much compensation to me.
SacTownGuy is offline  
Old Aug 25, 20, 5:25 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Posts: 358
Originally Posted by craz
If your mgr worked for me and gave this away, he wouldnt be working for me any longer. I could see todays value of the pants (used no longer new) and either 2 nights or 75K but not both.the exception being if the OP was a reg with us at The Hotel and dropped a nice amount of $$s with us every year, then Id see it as a cost of doing biz
i disagree completely. Number 1 the op was paying close to $900+ a night there which is very very high. Secondly there is a pandemic and the cleaning practices were obviously not taken seriously at all, especially at a luxury brand like the Ritz.

I agree with this ambassador, this guest should be OVERCOMPENSATED imo because of those factors.
mikebor is offline  
Old Aug 25, 20, 6:57 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tha OC
Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Posts: 609
“Stuff happens”

And it happens a lot more when there is no accountability, particularly amongst those who like to say this.
Ask yourself how this particular “stuff” happened?
Whose job was it to clean up the mess before another guest sat down?
And why didn’t he/she do it?

Whatever excuse that person made at the time, it likely involved shifting consequences to someone else.
Putting myself in that person’s shoes, I’m not coming up with any way this goes well for the restaurant or the hotel.
That’s what managers are for — to take responsibility when others won’t.
Even if the pants weren’t so expensive, no one wants an experience like that anywhere, let alone an $850/night luxury hotel.

Dismal failure at all levels.
Period.

He should be cheerfully compensated for the pants AND compensated for his bad experience — not just sitting in wet soy sauce but the failure to provide recovery.
Podcat is offline  
Old Aug 25, 20, 7:39 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Washington DC Metro Area
Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTT | IHG PLT| Hertz 5 Star | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Posts: 1,066
Originally Posted by Helpmeout
Am a platinum member.
Recently stayed at Ritz (rate around 850/night).
Hotel restaurant had a major snafu and failed to clean the seat from prior customer (they spilled soy sauce everywhere).
Basically blotted it. Cut to me sitting there 5 minutes later without warning resulting in my pants not only getting drenched, but also stained from the residual soy left behind.
Pants were from Cucinelli and cost around 700 bucks. Servers were apologetic (At time I didn't know my pants were ruined just obviously wet) and offered me a drink which I said ok.
Well they forgot to take this off bill and I was too tired to deal with when paying.

Realizing after my pants are ruined, I wrote a review when the hotel asked for feedback. I wasn't expecting any type of comp but the manager stated he was going to have points credited to my account. What would you deem appropriate? Given the price tag, etc. My expectations are min but curious as to if this has happened to anyone else?
Nothing. Like some others, I think this just falls into the category of "stuff happens".

That they offered you a drink was nice enough. That the manager offered you points after the fact (and in response to a review rather than formal complaint) was far more than you might reasonably expect--and I infer more than you did expect based on your posts. I wouldn't demand free night(s) or any set amount of points. But that's me.

As someone else also said, I'd have gone and changed into dry pants immediately as well as asking the hotel to have the ones I was wearing cleaned--it's not as though you needed to go very far to change clothes.

Chalk it up to life experience and move on.

However it works out, I wish you happy (and dry) future travels!

cheers!
AAir_head is offline  
Old Aug 25, 20, 1:08 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 254
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
How can something like that happen in these COVID days? Does the staff not have to ensure that the chair and table are sanitized after prior use?
That's what I'm wondering. To me, that makes it much worse!
lyst is offline  
Old Aug 26, 20, 5:37 am
  #45  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada, USA, Europe
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 31,452
I don't know about this. I generally don't sit down somewhere before looking at where I'm sitting. Unless it was a dark cloth seat I would have noticed soya sauce wetness. And as soon as my bottom was wet, I would have gotten up and check out what exactly was making it wet.

Anyway...

I am with the crowd that says, 'if you buy unusually expensive items, you accept the fact that things happen.' To someone living in a trailer, a $50 pair of jeans are probably as 'expensive' as $700 trousers are to someone who lives in a penthouse on the Upper East Side. We had a thread some time ago from someone whose LV bags was slightly scuffed by cabin crew (on BA I think?) and who was asking for a new bag (I think, maybe I recall poorly). That sort of thinking doesn't really work, IMO (not to mention that a little scuffing on luggage makes it look better, not worse.) A fair effort would be some compensation, a dry cleaning, but that's about it. What would you do if a car splashes you from a puddle?
LondonElite is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread