Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Experiences with Bonvoy properties not taking Covid seriously

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Bonvoy properties not taking Covid seriously

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by northernstar84
Seems a lot of people here are still hyper paranoid
Yes, I am. I worked long enough in coordination with Housekeeping at 3 luxury properties to be wary. Did you check the toilet? Was the tub actually cleaned or left as-is from the last guest because it didn't look used. Did you check that duvet? HK issues are the most frequent complaints I dealt with when I ran the Front Desks. So, it made me more aware when I walk into a hotel room. And now, probably more so.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I think what northernstar84 meant was people bringing bleach and wipes to sanitize their own rooms, etc. Not to mention being aghast at the occasional guest not wearing a face covering, having to share an elevator ride with another human being, having valet parkers breathe in their car, etc. The list of things that make some people offended or disgusted is ever-growing and, to some of us, ridiculous.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 6:33 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I have had mostly good experiences but since this thread is about properties NOT taking covid seriously, I would mention Caresse Luxury Collection Bodrum - reception staff not following Turkish law, no masks inside.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by northernstar84
Seems a lot of people here are still hyper paranoid
Maybe hyper paranoid to some, but it might just be hyper vigilant to others. I have no complaints regarding my stay since everybody was wearing mask and doing what was required (my first hotel stay since CoVid since we needed to get away), but I am more than happy to clean a little for my family and my peace of mind.
estnet and Jon Maiman like this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Not the hotel not taking Covid seriously but guests. Been in a hotel for a week. Every guest polite and taking the 1 family or 2 people max in lift seriously. Weekend arrives and two youngsters just get in and when I remind them of the signs every where they say: dont worry love ine extra person wont kill you. Told him everyone else observed the sign just him and his girlfriend.Said girlfriend kept leaning in front of me to mess with the lift buttons too. I havent got that close to my husband all week!!

Last edited by stuartpig; Aug 29, 2020 at 10:59 am Reason: Forgot a bit
Old Aug 29, 2020, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stuartpig
Not the hotel not taking Covid seriously but guests. Been in a hotel for a week. Every guest polite and taking the 1 family or 2 people max in lift seriously. Weekend arrives and two youngsters just get in and when I remind them of the signs every where they say: dont worry love ine extra person wont kill you. Told him everyone else observed the sign just him and his girlfriend.Said girlfriend kept leaning in front of me to mess with the lift buttons too. I havent got that close to my husband all week!!
Did you report them to the front desk? I would have been tempted to hit the emergency call button in the elevator.

I've been trying to refuse to share an elevator anywhere with anyone not wearing a mask, including small kids.
360guy likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
... then get out. Problem solved.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... then get out. Problem solved.
I was trapped behind them and they werent moving. Clearly thought it hilarious
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Spent the night at the Rochester Marriott last night. They stated that no airport shuttle which I accepted...I took an Uber over to the property only to notice that they actually do use a shuttle ONLY for the airline crew. I got a little mad about it because we all got picked up and taken to the same place. I got told I'm not eligible to take the van. How would you feel about that? I alerted corotate about it. Either you have a shuttle or you don't. You shouldn't cherry pick on who can use it
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I think there might be slightly more use for a thread if it is about properties not following their local authority's covid protocol/rules.
If it's about properties with employees not taking covid seriously in general, wouldn't that be more of an OMNI thing?

We're bound to "catch" some employee somewhere on earth in some hotel without their face mask on at that small moment we look at them.
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I recently visited one of the Vero Beach Marriott Hotels, (the brands all blend in to me, but the one out by 95). Met with a charming young chap at the check-in desk. He shared with me how worried he was that Trump would stay in power even though Biden won the election. I keep my politics private, and so I just smiled and nodded without saying anything one way or the other, and was bemused to see a liberal news channel as the channel of choice in the Vero Beach hotel lobby. (VB is a republican bastion)

All the while, he did not wear a mask, despite signage in the hotel lobby indicating that mask usage was required. I maintained my social distance, and all worked out fine, but I was just surprised to see this being observed by an individual at the front desk. Perhaps he had grown frustrated with customers not treating him with the respect of wearing a mask in front of him, I am not sure. All I know is, I was wearing my mask, and found it very odd.

Other Marriott properties I have stayed in, we have been impressed by the COVID procedures. That said, we stayed at the TownePlace suites in Estero recently, and I was disappointed that some of the grab and go breakfast items like muffins and so forth were not individually wrapped, and were laid out like a buffet area where anyone (who might or might not be wearing mask) could breathe on them or touch them. I hardly complained, just didn't eat the muffin. Saved me some calories for later in the day!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I recently visited one of the Vero Beach Marriott Hotels, (the brands all blend in to me, but the one out by 95). Met with a charming young chap at the check-in desk. He shared with me how worried he was that Trump would stay in power even though Biden won the election. I keep my politics private, and so I just smiled and nodded without saying anything one way or the other, and was bemused to see a liberal news channel as the channel of choice in the Vero Beach hotel lobby. (VB is a republican bastion)

All the while, he did not wear a mask, despite signage in the hotel lobby indicating that mask usage was required. I maintained my social distance, and all worked out fine, but I was just surprised to see this being observed by an individual at the front desk. Perhaps he had grown frustrated with customers not treating him with the respect of wearing a mask in front of him, I am not sure. All I know is, I was wearing my mask, and found it very odd.

Other Marriott properties I have stayed in, we have been impressed by the COVID procedures. That said, we stayed at the TownePlace suites in Estero recently, and I was disappointed that some of the grab and go breakfast items like muffins and so forth were not individually wrapped, and were laid out like a buffet area where anyone (who might or might not be wearing mask) could breathe on them or touch them. I hardly complained, just didn't eat the muffin. Saved me some calories for later in the day!
Regardless, not wearing a mask and discussing politics with a customer are both wildly unprofessional.

Also, the one out by 95 would be the Fairfield Inn.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by siesta6207
Spent the night at the Rochester Marriott last night. They stated that no airport shuttle which I accepted...I took an Uber over to the property only to notice that they actually do use a shuttle ONLY for the airline crew. I got a little mad about it because we all got picked up and taken to the same place. I got told I'm not eligible to take the van. How would you feel about that? I alerted corotate about it. Either you have a shuttle or you don't. You shouldn't cherry pick on who can use it
The shuttle may be staffed and paid for by the airline. Also per their union contracts with the airlines, the crew must be transported separately from any other regular passengers for safety protocol reasons. When I used to work for Supershuttle, we used to have pick ups at the same hotels that were housing Airline crews. We had to send a separate van for those passengers even though they were going to the same airport. Also, if a crew member had a SO or family member traveling with them, we would have to transport them separately as well.
SPN Lifer and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I agree... I suspect they were required to pick up the airline crew, and did not want to offer the shuttle to anyone else.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by siesta6207
I took an Uber over to the property only to notice that they actually do use a shuttle ONLY for the airline crew.
Staying on topic with the thread title . . . if concerned about Covid, I would definitely recommend Uber over a hotel shuttle. I've been on several packed hotel shuttles (HR SFO and HR LAX) and it did not feel safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.