FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Experiences with Bonvoy properties not taking Covid seriously
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:34 pm
cmd320
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I recently visited one of the Vero Beach Marriott Hotels, (the brands all blend in to me, but the one out by 95). Met with a charming young chap at the check-in desk. He shared with me how worried he was that Trump would stay in power even though Biden won the election. I keep my politics private, and so I just smiled and nodded without saying anything one way or the other, and was bemused to see a liberal news channel as the channel of choice in the Vero Beach hotel lobby. (VB is a republican bastion)

All the while, he did not wear a mask, despite signage in the hotel lobby indicating that mask usage was required. I maintained my social distance, and all worked out fine, but I was just surprised to see this being observed by an individual at the front desk. Perhaps he had grown frustrated with customers not treating him with the respect of wearing a mask in front of him, I am not sure. All I know is, I was wearing my mask, and found it very odd.

Other Marriott properties I have stayed in, we have been impressed by the COVID procedures. That said, we stayed at the TownePlace suites in Estero recently, and I was disappointed that some of the grab and go breakfast items like muffins and so forth were not individually wrapped, and were laid out like a buffet area where anyone (who might or might not be wearing mask) could breathe on them or touch them. I hardly complained, just didn't eat the muffin. Saved me some calories for later in the day!
Regardless, not wearing a mask and discussing politics with a customer are both wildly unprofessional.

Also, the one out by 95 would be the Fairfield Inn.