Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Are buffets in the restaurants and lounges a thing of the past????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are buffets in the restaurants and lounges a thing of the past????

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:39 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I'd like to believe that's true. But your smart friends (and I'm going on the assumption they're just as smart as they were before) are presumably intelligent enough to take that advice and then make their own decisions. Experts have also done things like set speed limits on highways, which some of us do not always follow. Is it riskier? Yes, without question--simple laws of physics (so "science"). But if you found out that some of your friends whom you thought were smart were also speeders, would that lessen your opinion of their intelligence?
Speeding on highways has nothing to do with transmitting the worst virus the US has seen in 100 years.

Heck, some people would say that science has proven planes can crash for a multitude of reasons, therefore no one should fly. Or cross a street. Or get out of bed. But smart people do those things, and even riskier things, every day. We all set our own thresholds of risk tolerance, and the way we respond to COVID-19 is the same. If the cultural norm in their area is no masks, no social distancing, etc. I agree it would seem strange to those of us conditioned in California to behave very differently right now. But it doesn't lessen their intelligence to have a different outlook or take on the situation.
These comments about planes and streets have absolutely nothing to do with the point we are discussing. "Some People" include idiots like Scott Atlas whose comments by himself have caused tens of thousands more people to get sick.

Hey, I've enjoyed this discussion but I know we're off-topic. Feel free to chime in with a reply, but I'm going to step out of the thread after this. Thanks for letting me editorialize, though.
You aren't talking science, you are only barely talking masks. This isn't a discussion, this is me talking science and you saying "but what about crossing the street?"
Old Feb 2, 2021, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
So is there any actual, recent science on Covid transmission from buffets?

From what I understand, there's no evidence of Covid transmission from eating food; the digestive tract is not well suited for the virus to live or infect. What risk there is seems to be from shared serving utensils, similar to door handles and other high touch surfaces. But most infections seem to be from inhalation of shared air, not from contaminated surfaces, and if I can fill my plate and then hand-sanitize when I sit down, that should address what minima; risk there might be. Personally, I'd feel much safer eating at an outdoor buffet than an indoor full-service restaurant.

But are there any studies from the last six months that confirm or contradict this?
Old Feb 2, 2021, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by swag

From what I understand, there's no evidence of Covid transmission from eating food; the digestive tract is not well suited for the virus to live or infect. What risk there is seems to be from shared serving utensils, similar to door handles and other high touch surfaces. But most infections seem to be from inhalation of shared air, not from contaminated surfaces, and if I can fill my plate and then hand-sanitize when I sit down, that should address what minima; risk there might be. Personally, I'd feel much safer eating at an outdoor buffet than an indoor full-service restaurant.

But are there any studies from the last six months that confirm or contradict this?
I haven't seen any studies, probably because buffets shut down *fast* when the pandemic broke and therefore I doubt there's much contact tracing that has conclusively led back to a buffet. If such a trace ever happened it maybe would have been on one of those cruise ships at the very beginning of the outbreak, but even then it might be hard to conclude it was the food as opposed to just thousands of people being together in a floating petri dish for a week.

But I agree with your general statement that it's an unlikely vector compared to shared air. The idea of surface transmission had a lot of traction back in March-April 2020, but all of the evidence since then has been pretty clear: you breathe this virus and are more likely to get a high viral load through the air than you are from touching a surface.

Of course, if this pandemic has been a nudge for more people to wash their hands regularly, then I'm okay with that.

Our local grocery store salad bars are back. I wasn't a fan of those to begin with and have not used one since the pandemic started. I worry more about bacteria than viruses with those, but I don't actually know anyone who's gotten sick from them. It's possible it's a dumb phobia on my part but I don't feel like I'm missing too much.

Buffets at hotels and restaurants will definitely be back at some point because they're cost effective for the hotel/restaurant and people seem to love them.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
One of the things I find frustrating is that many folks on FT (and everywhere really) love to yell at the top of their lungs, "Science" "Masks, because science" "Science!" (and for the record I agree with using masks)

However, when it comes to paranoia about things like buffets, nobody seems to yell "Science" even though the idea that Covid-19 spreads via surface transmission was largely debunked by "science" quite a long time ago.

Here is, what IMHO, is a very good (though not for the short attention span theater crowd) article on the subject:
"Hygiene Theater Is a Huge Waste of Time - People are power scrubbing their way to a false sense of security"
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...heater/614599/

I know there is a segment of FTers that hated/were paranoid about buffets long before Covid-19 came on the scene and they seem to hope this will put the stake through the heart of buffets, but I agree with another poster that buffets will likely return because, well, people want them too.

Regards
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by scubadu
One of the things I find frustrating is that many folks on FT (and everywhere really) love to yell at the top of their lungs, "Science" "Masks, because science" "Science!" (and for the record I agree with using masks)

However, when it comes to paranoia about things like buffets, nobody seems to yell "Science" even though the idea that Covid-19 spreads via surface transmission was largely debunked by "science" quite a long time ago.

Here is, what IMHO, is a very good (though not for the short attention span theater crowd) article on the subject:
"Hygiene Theater Is a Huge Waste of Time - People are power scrubbing their way to a false sense of security"
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...heater/614599/

I know there is a segment of FTers that hated/were paranoid about buffets long before Covid-19 came on the scene and they seem to hope this will put the stake through the heart of buffets, but I agree with another poster that buffets will likely return because, well, people want them too.

Regards
I mean, even without Covid I’d like the increased hygiene standards to stay....
Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag

I haven't heard of any documented cases of Covid being transmitted through surfaces period. That doesn't mean it never happens, but it implies that it's very rare compared to transmission through the air. And besides, as long everyone is required to wear masks at the buffet, the chance of them sneezing Covid onto a surface are low.

Having said that, there are other diseases which can be spread through food. So good food hygiene should not be avoided just because it might not help with Covid specifically.
Old May 8, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Alpinetrekker
Not to be at all political, but about what you would expect from a red state. I have not personally seen any hostility here. As anywhere, it varies significantly from area to area. Hailey is part of greater Sun Valley and is one of the more liberal parts of the state along with Boise. It was also one of the early pandemic hot spots in country, which makes it all the more surprising to see a full buffet.

That said, lots of hotels have had self service coffee over the last few months in which everyone has to touch the same pump or spigot so I don't really see how serving coffee or food is that different.
You did make it political and for heavens sake why are we still hammering this subject? The current strain is causing fewer hospital stays and try few deaths ( thankfully). By fall it will be reduced to a booster of some form OR as many think a combination flu/covid shot. Let's get back to normal.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by edgewood49
You did make it political and for heavens sake why are we still hammering this subject?
Just want to point out, in case you didn't notice, that you're responding to a post that is more than a year old. I do wonder what the overall sentiment on FT is now vs. a year ago. Very different situation now, as you noted.
Tanic and ftrichard like this.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by edgewood49
why are we still hammering this subject?
We aren’t. This discussion ended 15 months ago.
Tanic and ftrichard like this.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
We aren’t. This discussion ended 15 months ago.
Either way, hunger won.

David
Tanic likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Just want to point out, in case you didn't notice, that you're responding to a post that is more than a year old. I do wonder what the overall sentiment on FT is now vs. a year ago. Very different situation now, as you noted.
When I was looking for a specific thread I saw thinking it was current I do apologize. Like many of us I am tired of all the information/ misinformation out there. I have enough chemical exposure in my body from the military not sure Covid wants me !!
Old May 8, 2022, 6:48 pm

Buffets are back. I was just at LC properties in UAE and Peru with extensive breakfast buffets. (In one case, the buffet just re-started within the past 30 days.) The IAD TK lounge and both the IAD and ORD UCs have buffets back. In addition, I am a fan of buffets that have an international selection. It gives me an opportunity to try bites of dishes that I would not otherwise order.

I won't get into the COVID stuff. My rule with buffets is that I'll never eat anything with my fingers, toast for example, unless I have washed my hands after touching the serving utensils. (I do assume the serving end of the utensil has been untouched by humans.) In addition, if I see children sticking their fingers into the food, I am not shy about politely notifying the parent. (I did see a child pick up a pastry and then put it back when he saw a better choice - in this case the parent noticed it and provided proper instruction for the future.)
Old May 8, 2022, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Buffet lines are currently available in the lounges and restaurants at the Manila Marriott Hotel, Sheraton Manila Bay, and the Sheraton Manila Hotel.
Old May 8, 2022, 8:25 pm

Buffet self-service should be available in Singapore now. Can anyone confirm from a Marriott property perspective ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.