Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Who can book STAR and LUMINOUS rates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

I find it incredibly frustrating that we as members can’t just book the star / luminous rates. I mean.. why the necessity for a travel agent, unless Marriott is getting PAID FROM the travel agencies when a booking is made? (Which of course doesn’t make sense)

Anyway, does anyone have a good TA recommendation for booking the star/ luminous rates?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
There are TAs on this forum who can book them. I usually book Virtuoso rates through the travel group run by DavidO to support another FT member.

The JPMorgan concierge service can also book them.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
why the necessity for a travel agent, unless Marriott is getting PAID FROM the travel agencies when a booking is made? (Which of course doesn’t make sense)
Why doesn't it make sense? TAs frequently steer customers towards certain hotels/chains. These agents have a contract with Marriott to offer exclusive rates.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why doesn't it make sense? TAs frequently steer customers towards certain hotels/chains. These agents have a contract with Marriott to offer exclusive rates.
Actually that’s true, I take back what I said. It does make sense. Just it’s so hard to find someone who can book it.. after all I’m a low rev kinda of gal in terms of booking cash rate.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Isn’t classicTravel.com the online portal for Virtuoso they have a pull down for Star and Luminous hotel bookings
Isochronous likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

I called Classic Travel and was able to book under Luminous. Pretty cool.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I find it incredibly frustrating that we as members can’t just book the star / luminous rates. I mean.. why the necessity for a travel agent, unless Marriott is getting PAID FROM the travel agencies when a booking is made? (Which of course doesn’t make sense)

Anyway, does anyone have a good TA recommendation for booking the star/ luminous rates?
Okay, I'll bite.

What are the STAR and LUMINOUS rates?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Okay, I'll bite.

They're Marriott programs for full service travel agencies
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's the reverse, with the travel agent being paid a commission by the hotel, although AFAIK the hotel would also pay commissions to Starriott for reservations made through the Marriott website or Marriott phone/reservation agents.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I believe most (if not every) agent who previously had access to the SPG Luxury Privileges rates have access to the new STAR and Luminous programs.

I've started booking with DavidO 's group, but prior to that WhatAHotel offered the capability to book SPG Luxury Privileges online. I'm not sure if they've since updated with the ability to book the new rates as well.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Okay, I'll bite.

Near identical benefits as FHR and Virtuoso, with allegedly higher upgrade priority than FHR and Virtuoso since it’s Marriotts own luxury program.

My booking includes free breakfast for two and $100 dining credits— the hotel/ resort I booked doesn’t give free breakfast to elite members.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Near identical benefits as FHR and Virtuoso, with allegedly higher upgrade priority than FHR and Virtuoso since it’s Marriotts own luxury program.

My booking includes free breakfast for two and $100 dining credits— the hotel/ resort I booked doesn’t give free breakfast to elite members.
And for that luxury I’m thinking you paid a higher rate as Marriott guarantees lowest rates when booking direct, no?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Collierkr
And for that luxury I’m thinking you paid a higher rate as Marriott guarantees lowest rates when booking direct, no?

No, it’s the standard flexible rate (ie not prepaid nor other promotion). It’s just not bookable by members direct if member is not authorized travel agent.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Are you still entitled to all benefits, nights and points?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by rstidolph
Are you still entitled to all benefits, nights and points?
yep considered a Marriott channel booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.