Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Are buffets in the restaurants and lounges a thing of the past????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 10:16 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Don't be surprised if COVID-19 is used as cover for all kinds of cost-saving measures.

Lounge food is definitely something that might be enhanced away. Would any chain be bold enough to take away elite breakfasts? Now that a BF buffet needs to be replaced by a-la-carte or, even worse, a grab bag of a muffin and banana...
Originally Posted by DELee
Why a buffet - especially for breakfast? "Cause I can grab items and be done/gone in less than 5 minutes. Even fewer minutes if I'm prepared with my bring along tortillas to handle those ball bearing pieces of scrambled eggs. Or I can hop in my car, wait in a drive thru line for an Egg McMuffin or some such for 10+ minutes during peak breakfast and also deal with the weather.

Why not a buffet? Uh, you ever dine at one of those hotel restaurants? "Uh, l think you can sit over here." "No, let me find out what we've got left." "Sorry the kitchen is taking so long" "Oh, that's right, you wanted more coffee." Self: Where did that waiter go again? I gotta leave. Self 2 days later: Why is there a for breakfast on my folio if I'm Platinum/Titanium?.

Ugh.

David
as eggs are the only thing I can eat on most breakfast menus, I find buffets ideal.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think it is too soon to say. If there is a vaccine by the fall, a lot of this is moot. If there is a long protracted battle with this, I think huge changes ensue.

I think hotels will have to scale back massively to survive. The element hotels manager receptions for example might go away. I think the platinum lounges etc. might need to be reassessed, and ways for hotels to show their interest and loyalty to you might have to be re-examined. For example, perhaps a small F&B credit. ($5-10 per guest per day comes to mind).
Old May 16, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I think it is too soon to say. If there is a vaccine by the fall, a lot of this is moot. If there is a long protracted battle with this, I think huge changes ensue.

I think hotels will have to scale back massively to survive. The element hotels manager receptions for example might go away. I think the platinum lounges etc. might need to be reassessed, and ways for hotels to show their interest and loyalty to you might have to be re-examined. For example, perhaps a small F&B credit. ($5-10 per guest per day comes to mind).
Hotel Buffets are cash cows! They will make changes necessary to keep them. In late February, early March I had a 7-night stay at the Sheraton Grand Hyde Park, Sydney. I was giddy to exchange my 1000 welcome amenity points for a week long extensive breakfast buffet for two guests in Feast. The AUD $44/person/per day added up to AUD $616; USD $395.19. Paying guests lined up daily for the buffet. Light eaters pay a premium for the variety & convenience while heavy eaters are unlikely to consume the buffet cost in actual food costs.

As an aside, The Wynn Las Vegas has created an extensive re-opening plan including a $2.4M renovation of "The Buffet" restaurant.

James
Old May 16, 2020, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cfabar1
If there is a vaccine by the fall, a lot of this is moot.
First of all, that won't happen - only the politicians are pushing that myth for their own purposes. I don't think anyone who believes in science believes there will be a publicly available vaccine before the spring. Second, even when there is a vaccine, not everyone will get vaccinated, and it will take months for all the people who want (and can afford) the vaccine to get it. Third, vaccines are not guarantees of immunity.

I predict that the buffets that do stay will no longer be self-serve. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.
TSTraveler likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
FWIW, not at a Marriott or other hotel but there's interest over in the Japan Forum that at least one buffet chain is reopening...

David
Old May 29, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I cry whenever I see the title of this thread...
Old May 29, 2020, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I cry whenever I see the title of this thread...
Bonv°yed!
ankomonkey likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 5:07 am

I think they’ll stay, but be portioned (think Wicked Spoon in LV) or won’t be self service! That will bare an additional cost, but one that’s relative to the alternative. Just my opinion
Old May 30, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum

Let us hope not.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Self service breakfast buffet back (technically never left) at brand new Fairfield Inn in Hailey, Idaho. This hotel opened about 3 weeks ago and this is my second visit. It’s pretty much a full pre-COVID Fairfield breakfast experience.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by Alpinetrekker
Self service breakfast buffet back (technically never left) at brand new Fairfield Inn in Hailey, Idaho. This hotel opened about 3 weeks ago and this is my second visit. It’s pretty much a full pre-COVID Fairfield breakfast experience.
How is Idaho in general about masks? I've heard in some areas of there people are downright hostile to people wearing them.

I have peers in Texas and Florida that don't wear masks and nobody else there seems to either. These are people I normally find smart and thoughtful. It's so foreign to a Californian.

I can only guess that if nobody around you is wearing them, that's your social proof that they are unnecessary.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I have peers in Texas and Florida that don't wear masks and nobody else there seems to either. These are people I normally find smart and thoughtful. It's so foreign to a Californian.
What makes you think they're not just because they are taking a different tact regarding masks?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
What makes you think they're not just because they are taking a different tact regarding masks?
I guess it's science. Science is what makes me think they aren't making smart decisions. Listening to actual you know, Infectious desease doctors. So I guess it's that. Going to gyms, crowded churches and busy indoor dining with no social distancing.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Alpinetrekker
Is it just pre-packaged items? or are people using the same utensils? I haven't the latter, but if things are pre-portioned, there is nothing wrong with buffets in my opinion.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Not just pre-packaged. I've been to a number of "buffets" that feature only single serve items that you could grab yourself, but this was the first since last march with the shared serving spoon for the bulk cooked scrambled eggs, sausage, etc. and a self service waffle maker. Literally no change from what you would have seen at a Fairfield pre-covid. Having stayed at many hotels over the last few months, it really stood out for how "normal" it was...as in the "before times" normal. The hotel did have signs up requiring masks and compliance was pretty decent (at least for Idaho).
SPN Lifer and SkyTeam777 like this.

Last edited by Alpinetrekker; Jan 31, 2021 at 5:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.