Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Are buffets in the restaurants and lounges a thing of the past????

Are buffets in the restaurants and lounges a thing of the past????

Old May 9, 20, 11:37 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 65
Are buffets in the restaurants and lounges a thing of the past????

If this has been covered in another thread, I apologize, but I didn't see it. With the Garden Fresh restaurants closing, I was thinking about all
of the lounge and restaurant breakfast buffets. I don't see those opening anytime in the near future. Would they keep them but only have
their employees get the food or would everything be served from the kitchen? Will food in the lounges be eliminated and will they now
only provide restaurant vouchers for breakfast? I know this is all speculation, but I believe some of us will start traveling again this summer.
taxare is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 12:53 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by taxare View Post
If this has been covered in another thread, I apologize, but I didn't see it. With the Garden Fresh restaurants closing, I was thinking about all
of the lounge and restaurant breakfast buffets. I don't see those opening anytime in the near future. Would they keep them but only have
their employees get the food or would everything be served from the kitchen? Will food in the lounges be eliminated and will they now
only provide restaurant vouchers for breakfast? I know this is all speculation, but I believe some of us will start traveling again this summer.
I think many properties pre COVID-19 were limiting their lounge and buffet selections. For example, in Hawaii it was common to find plentiful hot entree and variety, but it slowly disappeared post Marriott merger. When I followed up with why it was so that the ‘hotel was more consistent with the Marriott brand guidelines’.

It would be open season given the economic climate to reduce offerings even once things get better, sadly.
damnyourefine is online now  
Old May 9, 20, 1:14 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Posts: 486
Buffets are gross

you serve yourself on communal utensils, people breath, cough sneeze on the food. Plus buffets just encourage people to overeat and then the food waste is criminal
bloomz, roadwarrier and Deckter like this.
Nuhusky is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 2:32 pm
  #4  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 4,705
Originally Posted by Nuhusky View Post
Buffets are gross
but tasty!

you serve yourself on communal utensils, people breath, cough sneeze on the food. Plus buffets just encourage people to overeat and then the food waste is criminal
Perhaps. The impact on jobs and capacity in the food production chain is and will be significant going forward. In any system, there's going to be waste - ever look at what doesn't get made/consumed/tossed in a regular restaurant on a daily basis or even an average American household on a weekly basis?

Besides, how else are we going to get to herd immunity?

David
DELee is online now  
Old May 9, 20, 2:33 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,473
Originally Posted by Nuhusky View Post
Buffets are gross

you serve yourself on communal utensils, people breath, cough sneeze on the food. Plus buffets just encourage people to overeat and then the food waste is criminal
Wow... so now "buffet shaming" is a thing...

Regards
scubadu is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 2:36 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wayne, PA USA
Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Posts: 6,896
There are intelligent ways to provide a buffet-type experience. The Wicked Spoon provides many of its selections in pre-portioned, single servings on individual platings. I could see lounges going to a model similar to that. It would reduce waste, and be a way to assure guests of sanitary conditions (since the "new normal" seems to involve drenching every single person or surface in a toxic mix of purell, lysol, and clorox), particularly if individual servings had a cling-wrap covering or something. That may not work for everything, but for items, such as the sliced fruits, breads, pastries, etc., I can see where that would be a reasonable solution. Hot dishes, such as eggs, breakfast meats, and potatoes could also be pre-portioned into individual serving containers and kept under heat lamps (for a while I guess), with a foil overwrap and a label indicating what was inside.
jimrpa is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 2:51 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,162
Don't be surprised if COVID-19 is used as cover for all kinds of cost-saving measures.

Lounge food is definitely something that might be enhanced away. Would any chain be bold enough to take away elite breakfasts? Now that a BF buffet needs to be replaced by a-la-carte or, even worse, a grab bag of a muffin and banana...
craigthemif is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 2:57 pm
  #8  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 4,705
Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
Hot dishes, such as eggs, breakfast meats, and potatoes could also be pre-portioned into individual serving containers and kept under heat lamps (for a while I guess), with a foil overwrap and a label indicating what was inside.
Hmmm. Airplane food in hotels!

David
DELee is online now  
Old May 9, 20, 3:14 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Programs: BAEC, M&M
Posts: 76
Well i hope they are. Give me a freshly cooked breakfast/lunch anytime over a dish that has been sitting slightly reheated for up to 3 hours. Less waste, cause honestly , do people really need so much food in the first place?

Never understood the love for buffets, not because of some extreme weird germ phobia, but mainly because of the mediocre food that is being kept there for hours on end.
damon88 and htown like this.
Deckter is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 3:59 pm
  #10  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 4,705
Originally Posted by Deckter View Post
Well i hope they are. Give me a freshly cooked breakfast/lunch anytime over a dish that has been sitting slightly reheated for up to 3 hours. Less waste, cause honestly , do people really need so much food in the first place?

Never understood the love for buffets, not because of some extreme weird germ phobia, but mainly because of the mediocre food that is being kept there for hours on end.
Why a buffet - especially for breakfast? "Cause I can grab items and be done/gone in less than 5 minutes. Even fewer minutes if I'm prepared with my bring along tortillas to handle those ball bearing pieces of scrambled eggs. Or I can hop in my car, wait in a drive thru line for an Egg McMuffin or some such for 10+ minutes during peak breakfast and also deal with the weather.

Why not a buffet? Uh, you ever dine at one of those hotel restaurants? "Uh, l think you can sit over here." "No, let me find out what we've got left." "Sorry the kitchen is taking so long" "Oh, that's right, you wanted more coffee." Self: Where did that waiter go again? I gotta leave. Self 2 days later: Why is there a for breakfast on my folio if I'm Platinum/Titanium?.

Ugh.

David
DELee is online now  
Old May 9, 20, 4:06 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Posts: 486
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Wow... so now "buffet shaming" is a thing...

Regards
which part? I assume overeating?

im as guilty at this as everyone else. When there is an unlimited amount of food

jerry said it best. Try not laughing and relating to every word he says. He is spot on and says it all

Nuhusky is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 4:45 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: CT USA
Posts: 2,577
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Wow... so now "buffet shaming" is a thing...

Regards
Oh yes, BUFFET is spelled botulism, urine, feces, echoli and trichinosis
clkc86 likes this.
JumboJet is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 4:56 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: MidSouth
Programs: AA; Delta GM
Posts: 727
I have not willingly ate at any buffet-style anything in years. The only exceptions were when I was traveling in other countries and a buffet-style meal was my only option for breakfast, say.

Regardless of your politics, you should avoid buffets to stay your healthiest. Also, your food will taste better if you order from a menu and have it freshly prepared.
mtofell likes this.
aquamarinesteph is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 5:03 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,434
Originally Posted by Nuhusky View Post
Buffets are gross

you serve yourself on communal utensils, people breath, cough sneeze on the food. Plus buffets just encourage people to overeat and then the food waste is criminal
Quite the opposite - instead of people ordering and eating a fraction of alacarte orders buffets allos you to take as much or as little as you need preventing food waste..

hygiene is really a matter of how buffets are set up - Asia is very sensitive to possible spread of germs and yet buffets there are extremely popular.

Scandinavians - a very healthy bunch universally have buffet type of lunch - only the choices are usually nice and healthy..

it is ridiculous to equate buffet with some low cost Las Vegas quantity over quality type of pigout - I can make the same case for countless awfull ala carte options as well...

Last edited by azepine00; May 9, 20 at 5:09 pm
azepine00 is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 6:09 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Posts: 486
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Quite the opposite - instead of people ordering and eating a fraction of alacarte orders buffets allos you to take as much or as little as you need preventing food waste..

hygiene is really a matter of how buffets are set up - Asia is very sensitive to possible spread of germs and yet buffets there are extremely popular.

Scandinavians - a very healthy bunch universally have buffet type of lunch - only the choices are usually nice and healthy..

it is ridiculous to equate buffet with some low cost Las Vegas quantity over quality type of pigout - I can make the same case for countless awfull ala carte options as well...
just watch the video and tell me buffets are not germ Havens.

NHK conducted an experiment to see how germs spread at a cruise buffet.

They applied fluorescent paint to the hands of 1 person and then had a group of 10 people dine.

In 30 min the paint had transferred to every individual and was on the faces of 3. 1 guy who was sick in the experiment doomed everyone


https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...422171000.html
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Nuhusky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: