Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bitten by guest's dog in Marriott lobby

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond

Really can't make this stuff up. Came back to my hotel, a guest had a dog in the lobby, Not to go into all the details, the dog wound up biting me on the hand (drew blood etc).

Hotel website says cats and dogs under 40lbs allowed. This was a pit bull, clearly over 40 lbs. Allegedly it's an emotional support animal as well.

What's the hotel's liability vs. the guests here?

Police and paramedics involved. Police report and the dog is quarantined for 10 days, to verify no rabies. Supposedly has shots but not confirmed in writing yet.

Hotel did jack squat around this, not even following up with me or offering me bandaides etc.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum,
Emotional support dogs are not recognized or protected by the ADA. They have no legal rights under the ADA.
BearX220, closecover, KRSW and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:35 pm

Lawyer up. They’ll have the answers you’re looking for. I’m speaking from experience.
Redhead, joelfreak, MRM and 17 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: IB+ Gold, TK E+, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, IHG Diamond
Lawyer up and go after the dog's owner.

The hotel responsible for a dog in the lobby? Is that any different from the parking lot? I doubt you'd get far in court, but maybe the hotel will pay you off to make it go away.
Redhead, MRM, KRSW and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Go to the ER and get the wound properly cleaned. Also get a 2 week antibiotic treatment. Do not mess around with dog bites things can go seriously bad.
Redhead, MRM, closecover and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The "innkeepers" liability is determined by state (and sometimes local) law. You have not provided a location.

Deal with your medical issues first and foremost.

Once you have an idea what is involved, speak to your lawyer. Why focus on the property if you can do quite nicely with what might be a sufficiently wealthy or insured owner?
MRM, cscasi and rt23456p like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Unfortunate thing here is the dog is probably going to pay the price for a bad owner. Likely to be put down, that makes me sad
christianj, JetBunny, MRM and 11 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I doubt there's a great deal of overlap between 'sufficiently wealthy' owners and pit bull owners.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:28 pm
FT

Originally Posted by yurtripper
I doubt there's a great deal of overlap between 'sufficiently wealthy' owners and pit bull owners.
Bad take.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by deac83
What's the hotel's liability vs. the guests here?
Hotel - Premise liability. Guest - None (Liability absorbed by Hotel)

The game is simple - You > Hotel; Hotel > Guest.

Originally Posted by SCPigskinPrep
Emotional support dogs are not recognized or protected by the ADA. They have no legal rights under the ADA.
ADA has no standing here. Even a service animal attacked a person, the owner and the hotel have to be responsible.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Lawyer up and go after the dog's owner.
No offense - This is an extremely bad advice.

1. Hotel definitely has insurance. And its pocket is for sure deeper that the guest for sure.

2. It is easier to sue a business than a person, as well as resolving the disputes.

3. Based on OP, by allowing a pit bull in a hotel as pet, Hotel may have engaged a practice that can deem as reckless disregard. Hotel can face punitive damage when warranted. But since the guest has the hotel's approval, and based on its causal occurrence (it was an accident after all), the guest will definitely be not liable for the punitive damage. So suing the hotel may yield a better result than the guest.
SPN Lifer, DVDBob, wrp96 and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Sad to see you would try to make a correlation between an owners breed of dog and their financial status. In full disclosure, my wife and I have only ever owned "pitbulls". And contrary to your belief we do quite well for ourselves actually.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:24 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
People love to judge based on appearances and feel better about themselves unfortunately. But dogs should never be put in the position where they bite and that is the owners responsibility.

This has nothing to with OPs horrible experience and I believe he should go after the hotel as well, not the owner. Not trying to minimize that at all, I just hate broad generalizations.
JetBunny and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Can OP please provide the details of how their hand came to be in the proximity that allowed for said dog, with unknown previous interactions, to bite them? I don't usually make it a habit of placing my hands near the mouths of animals that I do not have regular familiarity with. I would be more embarrassed as a grown adult to admit I had engaged in such a seemingly careless act that resulted in my injury. If the dog had been running loose in the lobby or not under direct control of the owner then I apologize in advance as this is the result of an irresponsible dog owner.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
Can OP please provide the details of how their hand came to be in the proximity that allowed for said dog, with unknown previous interactions, to bite them? I don't usually make it a habit of placing my hands near the mouths of animals that I do not have regular familiarity with. I would be more embarrassed as a grown adult to admit I had engaged in such a seemingly careless act that resulted in my injury. If the dog had been running loose in the lobby or not under direct control of the owner then I apologize in advance as this is the result of an irresponsible dog owner.
I'm sure those details will be in the police report and an attempt to victim blame is unwarranted.
SPN Lifer, Tanic, BigJC and 36 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by deac83
Really can't make this stuff up. Came back to my hotel, a guest had a dog in the lobby, Not to go into all the details, the dog wound up biting me on the hand (drew blood etc).

Nothing said after the OP's post matters, since OP refused to "go into all the details". I assume OP was taunting the dog. Dog owner should sue OP for animal cruelty. That assumption is as valid as every other assumption made so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.