Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bitten by guest's dog in Marriott lobby

Bitten by guest's dog in Marriott lobby

Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
I'm sure those details will be in the police report and an attempt to victim blame is unwarranted.
Where do you extract an attempt to place blame? I simply asked for the details of the interaction that OP didn't want to provide for some reason. I then provided an example of how I usually conduct myself in what sounds to me a similar situation. I again with no assignment of blame detailed how I would have felt embarrassed. I don't believe you may have misinterpreted my post.
Admiral Ackbar and chemengin like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: 2MM United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Plat
Interesting - most training organizations test a dog for temperament before accepting in their program. I doubt it was a real support dog, and most likely a guest who probably takes their pet everywhere by skirting the system. Not enough details but this is a bad owner situation and I would go after them,.
Bravada04, awayIgo, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
Where do you extract an attempt to place blame? I simply asked for the details of the interaction that OP didn't want to provide for some reason. I then provided an example of how I usually conduct myself in what sounds to me a similar situation. I again with no assignment of blame detailed how I would have felt embarrassed. I don't believe you may have misinterpreted my post.
You felt the need to bring up such a hypothetical situation despite claiming that you yourself would never put yourself in such a situation in the first place? Alright then.
BigJC likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Sue sue and sue. Get the vicious breed pit bull put down and sue the scumbag that was responsible for it for every cent they’re worth (which may not be much given the kind of people who have pit bulls)
RoyalFlush and closecover like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
You felt the need to bring up such a hypothetical situation despite claiming that you yourself would never put yourself in such a situation in the first place? Alright then.
Exactly.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
Nothing said after the OP's post matters, since OP refused to "go into all the details". I assume OP was taunting the dog. Dog owner should sue OP for animal cruelty. That assumption is as valid as every other assumption made so far.
And nothing has been said about your post. I assume you are taunting the OP. OP should sue you for libel. This assumption is as valid as every other assumption made so far.
closecover likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Was the dog on a leash?

I walked out of a Residence Inn once and there was a young German Shepard who stopped and turned to me with ears pricked up. I froze. Luckily the owner whistled for him and he ran to him, but man I was really scared (having had bad encounters with strange dogs in the past).

We really need to know how a dog in a lobby got close enough to you to bite you on the hand.

Besides answering whether he was on a leash, were you trying to pet him?

Really, these questions need to be answered.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Thankfully I live in a country where there isn’t a blame culture where the mentality is always to sue and ruin people for every mistake made.

1. The priority is to make sure the OP is properly treated and taken care of. Given that health care probably needs insurance (and isn’t free in that country - another flaw), surely the hotel should at least pay for that under its insurance policies?

2. The other problem is a cultural one where dogs are actually allowed in hotels. It doesn’t matter if the dog is 40lbs or 30lbs or several pounds over the limit, they still bite! They are animals and can’t be completely controlled no matter how much they’ve been trained. Do all hotels there allow dogs or is it a legal right?! Anyway, just like the McDonald’s case where they ended up putting warnings on their coffee cups “caution - hot” because someone sued them when they spilt their coffee and scolded themselves, hotels are likely to follow with disclaimers when you check in (they may have this already). So the choice is 1) choose a hotel with a no-dog policy to eliminate risk completely or accept that there is risk.

3. Liability - someone is clearly liable but legal action for the sake of it (to bleed someone dry) is wrong. Did the owner apologise? Did they offer to pay for the health care? The hotel should offer something too, at least comping the stay and some points but as I said, priority is the welfare of the OP and any measures to avoid it happening again (very difficult if the dog was already on a lead etc).

And yes, very sad for the dog. It may have to be put down.
htb, RetiredATLATC and Pittie Pup like this.

Last edited by yorkboy24; Feb 29, 2020 at 9:24 pm
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Bonvoyed. (!)
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Unfortunate thing here is the dog is probably going to pay the price for a bad owner. Likely to be put down, that makes me sad

Ugh...my take as well! I had a German Shephard that was very protective...…..I ALWAYS paid attention no matter what. Would never put the dog in a situation that would give him the opportunity. It takes a split second and I can't stand owners that say "well he/she never did that before and it loves children". It's an animal and you never know what can happen. Too sad cause that is exactly what will happen. Albeit, I have to admit I am not a fan of Pitbulls and I am an animal lover.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:18 pm

To the somewhat nasty person who claimed it must be the OP's fault if he/she were bit, let me share my experience from last summer. I was walking through the bar area of a restaurant in Switzerland when a dog that had been lying at its owner's feet lunged at me and bit the back of my leg. Fortunately, it got a lot of pant leg and very little of my leg and did not break the skin. The owner was quite surprised. It goes without saying that I was also quite surprised!

Sometimes, all you have to do is be walking by and something about how you do that doesn't seem right to the dog. I am very wary of dogs in public places now.
closecover, wrp96 and torroze like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
That's not my dog! (in best French accent)
SK, lennon, platbrownguy and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by garykung
Hotel - Premise liability. Guest - None (Liability absorbed by Hotel)

The game is simple - You > Hotel; Hotel > Guest.

ADA has no standing here. Even a service animal attacked a person, the owner and the hotel have to be responsible.

No offense - This is an extremely bad advice.

1. Hotel definitely has insurance. And its pocket is for sure deeper that the guest for sure.

2. It is easier to sue a business than a person, as well as resolving the disputes.

3. Based on OP, by allowing a pit bull in a hotel as pet, Hotel may have engaged a practice that can deem as reckless disregard. Hotel can face punitive damage when warranted. But since the guest has the hotel's approval, and based on its causal occurrence (it was an accident after all), the guest will definitely be not liable for the punitive damage. So suing the hotel may yield a better result than the guest.
"Based on OP, by allowing a pit bull in a hotel as pet, Hotel may have engaged a practice that can deem as reckless disregard." -- What makes you think that the hotel allowed the dog in the lobby? What makes you think that the hotel even knew? And reckless disregard? Highly unlikely in this situation. You may be able to get to negligence, but I see no way to establish reckless disregard given the facts as related by the OP.

It's always better when one leaves opinions on legal matters to lawyers. A few points:

1. Yes, of course the hotel has insurance. That's not an issue. What is an issue, however, is whether the hotel has any liability. There isn't enough information here even to take a guess, so I won't. But this is a question that will have to be answered.

2. Primary liability will lie with the dog owner and/or whomever was responsible for the dog at the moment of the bite. (Perhaps the dog is actually owned by someone else, but the person who had the dog in the lobby was the owner's friend, or something like that.)

3. In the U.S., dog bite liability is nearly always set by statute, rather than being based on general liability principles. Here's a chart with references to the dog bite statutes in most states.

For more specific information about your specific situation, talk to a lawyer.
wrp96, craigthemif and mrcool1122 like this.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Feb 29, 2020 at 8:06 pm
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:15 pm

Once you lawyer up and send documents to Marriott, they will come running to you in an attempt to settle. Hold their foot to the fire and Bonvoy them.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This is absolutely completely unacceptable. If this had happened to me in FL I would have absolutely defended myself as is acceptable by law. Owner should be far more careful if they care at all about their pet.

With that said, I’d definitely get a lawyer involved.
RoyalFlush and closecover like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.