Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can you earn 30 elite night credits for Bonvoy from credit cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you earn 30 elite night credits for Bonvoy from credit cards?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kar120c
Can someone remind me when the nights get added to one’s yearly total? Is it on approval or issuance of the card? The first anniversary?
I got my 15 nights for the Marriott Bonv°y Business AmEx upon issuance of the card.

Thereafter one gets the 15 (or 30) nights at the beginning of each calendar year. This year it was during the first week of January.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ajf87
Gold has been pretty devalued for a while (All Amex Platinums get it) and Platinum is going to be worthless next year with the relaxation of brand standards and the new sign-up bonuses going around.
that’s short term thinking. The value is with 30 EQN per year (with 2 cards), which not only puts Plat within for non-road warriors (and those of us who can’t always stay at Marriott) but also towards 600 EQN required for lifetime Plat.

in my case I will get to lifetime in approx 3 years with both cards vs. potentially 5- 6 years with 1 card. Plus I need another year of Plat to reach 10 years required for lifetime.

As you note, Gold is almost worthless under Bonvoy, but Plat is the sweet spot in terms of perks and it is achievable with a reasonable amount of travel. And there is currently no way to earn lifetime Titanium.

when the virus wanes Marriott will be forced to bring back the perks or it will lose customers fast to the competition. Many of us have already diverted to HH and Hyatt properties that are providing what we want (even at addl cost).
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
The downside is having to close your account and open a new one because AMEX Canada doesn't do product changes (only transfer of credit line), and certainly not personal -> business conversions.

Also, you'd want to check if the Canadian card has the 30 night language.
Canadian biz card says "You will receive a maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits per calendar year even if you have more than one Marriott Bonvoy Consumer or Small Business credit card account..." which is unfortunate. I guess Amex Canada doesn't want to incentivize having both cards? Or is it a Marriott decision whether to grant the additional nights with a second card? EQN isn't something Amex would have to pay Marriott for, is it? Either way, one of Marriott or Amex is treating their Canadian customers as second tier re: benefits. Of course, nothing new there.

Edit: Silly me. I stopped reading Amex footnotes before I posted. Amex states that "American Express is not responsible for fulfillment of this benefit." So it's Marriott that doesn't want to give Canadian cardholders the same credit card benefits as American cardholders when it comes to EQN.

Last edited by somedude3210; Dec 2, 2020 at 2:31 am Reason: Clicked post too soon.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by somedude3210
Canadian biz card says "You will receive a maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits per calendar year even if you have more than one Marriott Bonvoy Consumer or Small Business credit card account..." which is unfortunate. I guess Amex Canada [Marriott] doesn't want to incentivize having both cards?
That word "or" is critical; it is not the same as "and".
​​​​​
So if you have two Small Business credit card accounts, you would get only 15 nights. But if you had one of each, this would suggest — or at least not preclude — 30 nights for one of each.

Eligibility of Canadian cardholders for these two types of card, and the associated 15 nights for each, is discussed more extensively in this thread.

Canadian Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (General Discussion)
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I've had the AmEx and Chase Bonvoy personal cards for years. I noticed that my Bonvoy account shows 16 nights credit from credit cards. I called, and the Bonvoy agent said 15 came from AmEx and 1 from Chase. When I logged in to Chase to view the card, it seems to have been upgraded from the classic to a "Marriott BonvoyTM Premier", but the benefits still list the one elite night credit per $3k in spend (which I didn't even know was there) and 15 elite night credits per year. I can't figure out why I only got one night from Chase. I could see if it was zero because the terms on Chase's site do say maximum 15 nights no matter how many cards, but it's not zero, it's one.

I also got an email offer from Bonvoy inviting me to open a business card, saying I'd get 15 nights from it plus the 15 "you already earn with your Marriott Bonvoy™ personal credit card." I responded and was approved, so if I can get 30 nights from the two cards, plus an extra night per $3k spend, I could hit Platinum with the lower threshold this year. (If I'm able to travel next year, and enjoy being Platinum, maybe I'll shift enough travel from Hilton to keep it, especially with a 30 night boost.)

Edited to add: I've spent less than $2k this year, and nothing last year, so I don't think the one night credit is from spending $3k.

Last edited by anabolism; Aug 8, 2021 at 9:44 pm Reason: Add info about spend
Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by anabolism

Edited to add: I've spent less than $2k this year, and nothing last year, so I don't think the one night credit is from spending $3k.
Maximum elite night credits for holding Bonvoy personal credit cards is 15.

The additional elite night credit for spending $3k on the Chase classic personal card isn't based on a calendar year.

It's a rolling $3k calculation:
  • Leftover 2019 spending of $1k
  • No 2020 spending
  • 2021 spending of $2k
Will get you a $3k elite night credit in 2021 for 2019-2021 spending.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12

The additional elite night credit for spending $3k on the Chase classic personal card isn't based on a calendar year.

It's a rolling $3k calculation:
  • Leftover 2019 spending of $1k
  • No 2020 spending
  • 2021 spending of $2k
Will get you a $3k elite night credit in 2021 for 2019-2021 spending.
Thanks, that explains it (it's cumulative spending that doesn't reset based on the date).

Just to be sure, this is an ongoing benefit even though the card is now a "Marriott Bonvoy Premier"?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by anabolism

Just to be sure, this is an ongoing benefit even though the card is now a "Marriott Bonvoy Premier"?
That's the renamed personal Chase Bonvoy card that kept its old benefits, including the "one elite night for every $3k in spend" feature. I have that same card and have been earning that benefit since its name conversion.

Here's the link to the existing thread that discusses that particular card and its benefits: Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by dgreen12; Aug 9, 2021 at 10:13 am Reason: Added link to thread
Old Aug 9, 2021, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12
That's the renamed personal Chase Bonvoy card that kept its old benefits, including the "one elite night for every $3k in spend" feature. I have that same card and have been earning that benefit since its name conversion.

Here's the link to the existing thread that discusses that particular card and its benefits: Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card
That's great to know, thank you for the info and thread link.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (lifetime Gold), Southwest
15 nights for second credit card

If I need to pick up 15 nights this year, but I already have a personal Marriott credit card, is it true that I can pick up those nights by getting a small business credit card? Is there another better way?

-wahoohfd
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:24 pm

Yes, you can pick up an AMEX Bonvoy Business Card and stack the elite night credits. You should make sure you are eligible for the SUB to make the most out of it if you plan on applying. No other way to earn it besides actually staying 15 nights at a hotel or spending $75k on your Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless card (i.e., you receive 1 elite night credit for $5k in spend).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:17 am

Yes, get the business card. My wife and I both have 1 personal and 1 business, and we get 30 nights.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:46 am

Correct. Business + Personal gives you 30 nights.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
For anyone reading this later, the 15 nights for personal/biz do not stack for Amex Canada cardholders. For Amex Canada, if you have both cards, you only get the 15 nights credit once per year.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:23 am

Would stacking of 15+15 nights towards status also work by having two personal cards, one AMEX and one Visa for example?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.