Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can you earn 30 elite night credits for Bonvoy from credit cards?

Can you earn 30 elite night credits for Bonvoy from credit cards?

Old Dec 1, 20, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by kar120c View Post
Can someone remind me when the nights get added to one’s yearly total? Is it on approval or issuance of the card? The first anniversary?
I got my 15 nights for the Marriott Bonv°y Business AmEx upon issuance of the card.

Thereafter one gets the 15 (or 30) nights at the beginning of each calendar year. This year it was during the first week of January.
Old Dec 1, 20, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by ajf87 View Post
Gold has been pretty devalued for a while (All Amex Platinums get it) and Platinum is going to be worthless next year with the relaxation of brand standards and the new sign-up bonuses going around.
that’s short term thinking. The value is with 30 EQN per year (with 2 cards), which not only puts Plat within for non-road warriors (and those of us who can’t always stay at Marriott) but also towards 600 EQN required for lifetime Plat.

in my case I will get to lifetime in approx 3 years with both cards vs. potentially 5- 6 years with 1 card. Plus I need another year of Plat to reach 10 years required for lifetime.

As you note, Gold is almost worthless under Bonvoy, but Plat is the sweet spot in terms of perks and it is achievable with a reasonable amount of travel. And there is currently no way to earn lifetime Titanium.

when the virus wanes Marriott will be forced to bring back the perks or it will lose customers fast to the competition. Many of us have already diverted to HH and Hyatt properties that are providing what we want (even at addl cost).
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 2, 20, 2:15 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
The downside is having to close your account and open a new one because AMEX Canada doesn't do product changes (only transfer of credit line), and certainly not personal -> business conversions.

Also, you'd want to check if the Canadian card has the 30 night language.
Canadian biz card says "You will receive a maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits per calendar year even if you have more than one Marriott Bonvoy Consumer or Small Business credit card account..." which is unfortunate. I guess Amex Canada doesn't want to incentivize having both cards? Or is it a Marriott decision whether to grant the additional nights with a second card? EQN isn't something Amex would have to pay Marriott for, is it? Either way, one of Marriott or Amex is treating their Canadian customers as second tier re: benefits. Of course, nothing new there.

Edit: Silly me. I stopped reading Amex footnotes before I posted. Amex states that "American Express is not responsible for fulfillment of this benefit." So it's Marriott that doesn't want to give Canadian cardholders the same credit card benefits as American cardholders when it comes to EQN.

Last edited by somedude3210; Dec 2, 20 at 2:31 am Reason: Clicked post too soon.
Old Dec 3, 20, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by somedude3210 View Post
Canadian biz card says "You will receive a maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits per calendar year even if you have more than one Marriott Bonvoy Consumer or Small Business credit card account..." which is unfortunate. I guess Amex Canada [Marriott] doesn't want to incentivize having both cards?
That word "or" is critical; it is not the same as "and".
​​​​​
So if you have two Small Business credit card accounts, you would get only 15 nights. But if you had one of each, this would suggest — or at least not preclude — 30 nights for one of each.

Eligibility of Canadian cardholders for these two types of card, and the associated 15 nights for each, is discussed more extensively in this thread.

Canadian Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (General Discussion)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: