Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can you earn 30 elite night credits for Bonvoy from credit cards?

Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

I have a Chase business and AMEX personal card (converted from Starwood), and I only see the AMEX points post.

The Chase terms lead be to believe this is not possible.

However the Amex terms indicate as long as one is personal and one is business it is, and mentions multiple issuers issue eligible cards.

What gives?

Should I just cancel the Chase and open the AMEX personal card?

Chase:

8 15 Elite Night Credits: On or before March 1 of each calendar year, a maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be credited to your Marriott Bonvoy member account operated by Marriott International, Inc. in accordance with Marriott Bonvoy terms and conditions. To be eligible to receive the 15 Elite Night credits with this Card, you must be the primary cardmember, your Card Account must be open as of December 31 of the prior year, and you must have an active Marriott Bonvoy member account linked to your credit card account. This benefit is not exclusive to credit cards offered by Chase. A maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be awarded per Marriott Bonvoy program member account even if the member has more than one Credit Card linked to their Marriott Bonvoy account. When your Marriott Bonvoy member accounts are merged, if both accounts have received 15 Elite Night credits, only one 15 Elite Night Credit will remain. Separate promotional offers of Elite Night credits will not count towards this per-account maximum but may have their own limits, see promotional terms at time of offer. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment or the provision of or failure to provide the stated benefits and services.

Amex:

To be eligible to receive the 15 Elite Night Credits with this Card, you must be the Basic Card Member, and you must have an active Marriott Bonvoy Member Account linked to your Card Account. A maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits will be provided per Marriott Bonvoy Member Account, unless you have both a small business Marriott Bonvoy Card account and a consumer Marriott Bonvoy Card account; then, you may receive a combined maximum of 30 Elite Night Credits (15 per Card account). This benefit is not exclusive to Credit Cards offered by American Express.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This is very interesting. I don't know how I've never seen this mentioned before. Technically, the previous paragraph explicitly denies that this is allowed
A maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be awarded per Marriott Bonvoy program member account even if the member has more than one Credit Card linked to their Marriott Bonvoy account.

FWIW I have the Bonvoy Business and Bonvoy Brilliant from AMEX and I only got 15 EQN. However, I went to the current T&Cs for the AMEX cards and both do indeed have the exact language you posted here

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker can you elaborate on this huge contradiction in the T&Cs?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
15 maximum which frankly I think is overly generous. Only takes 35 nights in a bed to qualify for platinum which essentially is the same as titanium and ambassador level.

Too many elites on properties
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Too many elites on properties
Don't worry about it... it's not like the properties are actually honoring the Elite benefits anyway.
Tanic, Sabai, EuropeanPete and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
I have the AMEX small biz card and the consumer card, as well as a chase Ritz. Ive only received 15 nights the last two years.

I assume this is an oversight and that Marriott will have AMEX update the T&C rather than give a loophole to get 30 nights.

That being said, I will be emailing my ambassador about this!
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by TommyC80
That being said, I will be emailing my ambassador about this!
There have been no reports of anyone receiving 30 nights credit recently, 15 is the max.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:53 pm

Before the merge, Amex had business and personal cards and you could get 30 elite nights by having each. I imagine this is a relic from the "good old days"
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
deleted
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:15 pm
soy

Programs: various
T&C don’t mean anything at bonvoy. 15 nights is the max
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by soy
T&C dont mean anything at bonvoy. 15 nights is the max
If you have one of the older cards, you can earn 15 nights each anniversary + 1 night/$3k spent on the card.

I continue to get emails to "upgrade" my card....no thanks!
Jiatong and Seabilly like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:57 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by envgeo
If you have one of the older cards, you can earn 15 nights each anniversary + 1 night/$3k spent on the card.

I continue to get emails to "upgrade" my card....no thanks!

My last upgrade offer was for 10 extra Elite nights. (25 total this year)

Here is my upgrade offer:

Not biting but still afraid the writing is on the wall for this card. They already ended the benefit on the Legacy Biz card.

Note the language on the statements. In 2018 (when I got the card) it specifically referenced the Elite night per $3000 spend. Versus now- when that benefit is no longer listed. I am afraid it is just a matter of time. ☹️

Last edited by damon88; Feb 22, 2020 at 1:52 pm
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by xooz
Before the merge, Amex had business and personal cards and you could get 30 elite nights by having each. I imagine this is a relic from the "good old days"
Hum, before the Amex cards were SPG and they gave 5 nights each they did stack for a total of 10 EQN if you had both they personal and Business SPG Amex. . The Marriott Chase cards gave 15 night which also stacked for 30 EQN if you both

I've had both personal and business cards from both Amex (former SPG) and Chase (Marriott) for years. In 2018, just like the years before that, I received all 4 EQN bonuses. 2x5 nights from the SPG Amex cards and 2x15 from the two Chase Marriott cards. Last year, I only received one set of 15 nights. I'm fine with that, the only thing I'm not happy about is the removal of rollover.

Last edited by Ripley62; Feb 22, 2020 at 8:52 pm
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Based on what Im reading in the first post, if I get a Marriott card this year, I wont get 15 nights until the next year? Is that true for both Amex and Chase?

Nvm, thats a yes within 60 days. Google answered my question but leaving here in case others see it.

Last edited by Lookoutitzsean; Feb 22, 2020 at 10:26 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
There have been no reports of anyone receiving 30 nights credit recently, 15 is the max.
Yep. After doing some research on her end, my Ambassador politely told me to go pound sand.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TommyC80
Yep. After doing some research on her end, my Ambassador politely told me to go pound sand.
That's fair, but given that Amex should be updating their T&Cs. It's quite confusing and clearly contradicts reality.

Regards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.