Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There is no 6th night free on the 7-night partial package certs.
This is even more awesome, on MB FB page the official answer is this:

"members will receive a full Points refund for the hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points redemption rate per each night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the award was eligible."

Can't believe it is going to be like that - think about a cat 6 hotel during peak which is 60k/night and times 7 of that it would be a total refund of 420k points. This would be the best Marriott deal out there and I feel stupid not to redeem a travel package yesterday.
GUWonder and drod like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Yep should have redeemed for a Cat 5 + 100K miles. I have another 125K coming on Jan 21st that I was waiting for to redeem for Cat 6 + 100K miles. Given the previous history with marriott screwing over travel packages (think to when everyone redeemed prior to the category changes hoping they would be remapped favorably but weren't) I didn't take the risk. Effectively would have been converting 110K marriott points to 100K airline points which is phenomenal. I was also hesitant on which airline to transfer to given I have no international flights planned this year. Was thinking Singapore Airlines as I have some points still there. Really wish they'd let you pool the wife's miles to help get two first class award flights!
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I couldn’t even remember how much I paid for my 7 night Cat 1-4 cert (formerly Cat 1-5) and it was 270K pts. Worst case scenario is I get 180K pts back. Best case scenario, I get 210K pts back. And I get to keep my 100K airline miles. Wish I had more than 1 cert to cash out!

With the uncertainty of travel, I’ll cash out. I totally agree with yoonny that it makes no sense to actually use the certs!

Last edited by margarita girl; Jan 19, 2022 at 11:27 am
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...hensive-guide/ still has the chart up for some of those packages issued in 2018.

Originally Posted by dkerr
There is a 5th night free. The 7-night certificate is not 7 individual nights, it is 7 consecutive nights. Using points you can book 7 consecutive nights with 6x the nightly point cost. The 5th night free benefit is executed by subtracting one (of the lowest priced) nights from the 7, it is not necessarily the 5th real night. My point is that the replacement point value of the certificate is the points required to book 7 consecutive nights, and that means 6x daily points.

DAK
If Marriott does that, that's even more customer-unfriendly than I already expected.

There never was a 6th night free on the hotel part of the 7-night travel package certs which I have yet to use. There were only two choices per category for the hotel portion when I redeemed points for the hotel+air travel packages: either 5 consecutive nights or 7 consecutive nights. Those TPs had no 5th night free; and they had no 6th night free.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by kkl
Only issue is that points will only be issued after dynamic pricing is in place
That is true! So even though ppl are getting refunded a lot more marriott pt than they would originally, they are actually not better off with the dynamic pricing starting in march.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:46 am

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...hensive-guide/ still has the chart up for some of those packages issued in 2018.

If Marriott does that, that's even more customer-unfriendly than I already expected.

There never was a 6th night free on the hotel part of the 7-night travel package certs which I have yet to use. There were only two choices per category for the hotel portion when I redeemed points for the hotel+air travel packages: either 5 consecutive nights or 7 consecutive nights. Those TPs had no 5th night free; and they had no 6th night free.
The 5th night free whether it’s 5 night cert or 7 night cert is calculated into the travel package discounts. Members calculated the savings for travel package already subtracting the 5th night free when initially seeing if it has value. If Marriott gives out the peak value of the X-1 on the certs based on old categories, I shoulda woulda coulda loaded up. You are essentially getting discounted mileage transfers.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by musicscrip
That is true! So even though ppl are getting refunded a lot more marriott pt than they would originally, they are actually not better off with the dynamic pricing starting in march.
Maybe? It's too soon to know and it depends on what your goals are. I'd rather be able to book 4-5 nights at what's currently a category 7-8 than 7 nights at a category 6.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'd rather be able to book 7 nights at a category 6 than 4-5 nights at what's currently a category 7-8. Different people calculate things differently.

Originally Posted by myperks
The 5th night free whether it’s 5 night cert or 7 night cert is calculated into the travel package discounts. Members calculated the savings for travel package already subtracting the 5th night free when initially seeing if it has value. If Marriott gives out the peak value of the X-1 on the certs based on old categories, I shoulda woulda coulda loaded up. You are essentially getting discounted mileage transfers.
"Members calculated" only means that some members calculated it the way you suggest. How Marriott calculated things at the time is also not the same thing as some "members calculated ... subtracting the 5th night free when initially seeing if it has value".

The redemption of points for TPs in 2018 and earlier was about getting discounted mileage transfers along with 5 or 7 night certificates. No free 5th or 6th night for those packages.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:21 am

I'd rather be able to book 7 nights at a category 6 than 4-5 nights at what's currently a category 7-8. Different people calculate things differently.

"Members calculated" only means that some members calculated it the way you suggest. How Marriott calculated things at the time is also not the same thing as some "members calculated ... subtracting the 5th night free when initially seeing if it has value".

The redemption of points for TPs in 2018 and earlier was about getting discounted mileage transfers along with 5 or 7 night certificates. No free 5th or 6th night for those packages.
true… but from the reports you will get the full 7x or 5x, so a great deal if one got in for the miles… might as well refund and not attach.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by musicscrip
That is true if you could have a chance to use them before the devaluation and decided to get the points, I know dynamic pricing usually ends up worse but I did manage to book some award stay with Hilton and IHG after they have changed to dynamic pricing.

No matter what - refunding the certs in full is the best gift ever from Marriott.
Happy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I just called Elite Services to get a Category 6 travel certificate detached. In spite of a long discussion about why I didn't want it cancelled, it got cancelled and 165K was refunded instead of the 420K I would have received in March. Last year, someone else cancelled instead of detaching it and it was extremely time consuming to get it replaced. Not looking forward to having to deal with this again.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by rny321
I just called Elite Services to get a Category 6 travel certificate detached. In spite of a long discussion about why I didn't want it cancelled, it got cancelled and 165K was refunded instead of the 420K I would have received in March. Last year, someone else cancelled instead of detaching it and it was extremely time consuming to get it replaced. Not looking forward to having to deal with this again.
Maybe someone can advance you 200K and then you send him/her 420K in March? Not sure who is gonna come ahead in this exchange
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
That is true if you could have a chance to use them before the devaluation and decided to get the points, I know dynamic pricing usually ends up worse but I did manage to book some award stay with Hilton and IHG after they have changed to dynamic pricing.

No matter what - refunding the certs in full is the best gift ever from Marriott.
As part of the calculus on whether to attach or redeem for points, it is my understanding from the blogs that Marriott is assuring us that "97%" of the properties are going to stay within the current category range for at least one year. What I had planned on using my cert on was a RI in Carlsbad in early June which is currently quoted at 160K points for the 7 nights with a rack rate average of $258/night. I am guessing the likelihood of the award redemption amounts increasing beyond 210K are quite slim?

Actually is the best move to attach now just in case, and then redeem for the 210K later? According to the Marriott terms, they will honor the 210K redemption if you want to make any changes after 03/01/2022?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by yoyo
Maybe someone can advance you 200K and then you send him/her 420K in March? Not sure who is gonna come ahead in this exchange
Nobody, because I don't need a points advance.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Good news on the refund value for those people with certificates left. I used my last cert last October as I thought Marriott would screw us on any unused certs at some point, but it looks like I was wrong. The move to dynamic pricing and removal of one of the few decent parts of the programme means I will probably cash out all of my Bonvoy points to airline miles before they pull the plug or heavily reduce the conversion rate so that far fewer airmiles are received. Air Sasquatch here I come!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.