Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking Cleaning Fee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Smoking Cleaning Fee

I recently had a stay at the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas. My room had a balcony which had ash trays. Several people were noted to be smoking on the balcony. Security came to our room as people were complaining about our smoking and asked us to stop or we would be evicted from the room. While I did not think we were being particularly loud, we agreed to stop and this seemed to be a non-issue. Today I received a copy of my bill and I was charged $566.90 for a "housekeeping deep clean smoking fee per security". To me this fee seems outrageous, even if we were smoking in the room which we were not. Is there any recourse I might have?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by catbox9
I recently had a stay at the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas. My room had a balcony which had ash trays. Several people were noted to be smoking on the balcony. Security came to our room as people were complaining about our smoking and asked us to stop or we would be evicted from the room. While I did not think we were being particularly loud, we agreed to stop and this seemed to be a non-issue. Today I received a copy of my bill and I was charged $566.90 for a "housekeeping deep clean smoking fee per security". To me this fee seems outrageous, even if we were smoking in the room which we were not. Is there any recourse I might have?
I would contest the fee. You were smoking on the balcony, where the hotel had provided ashtrays, presumably for that purpose. In fact, your smoking on the balcony, rather than in the room, is the very thing that generated the complaint. If the hotel resists, its position is that if you use the ashtrays it provided, that will incur a cleaning charge?
Brendan, Arsey00 and Dav77 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
If you only smoked on the balcony, what exactly did they "deep clean"? The ashtrays?

Contact your credit card company and report the transaction as unauthorised. The onus is on the hotel to provide evidence that:

A) You were in breach of a clearly stated policy.

B) They incurred the additional expenses, over and above what it would normally cost to clean the room.

​​​​​
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
If you only smoked on the balcony, what exactly did they "deep clean"? The ashtrays?

Contact your credit card company and report the transaction as unauthorised. The onus is on the hotel to provide evidence that:

A) You were in breach of a clearly stated policy.

B) They incurred the additional expenses, over and above what it would normally cost to clean the room.

​​​​​
But the transaction was authorized. I am quite sure the smoking cleaning is a clearly disclosed fee in that property and that, either at check in or during express checkout, the guest authorized the property to charge his/her cc for any fees and expenses s/he incurred during the stay. So, this is not an unauthorized cc transaction. The issue is whether the guest gave cause to the need to clean the room. Not unlike when hotel charges post-stay for minibar expenses or for damages to the room. There’s definitely an authorization for that, whether the underlying facts did take place it’s another discussion. My guess, if we areto believe OP’s version, people had recently smoked inside that room and with OP being caught smoking in the balcony, hotel did a verification and found “probable cause” OP is to blame for that and they do have a credible witness and reports of complaints from other guests. OTOH, OP’s party might have smoked in the balcony with the doors open and the smoke simply went inside the room. For a hardcore smoker it’s easy not to notice the stench they cause.
Brendan, C17PSGR, Fizzer and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:10 am
Suspended

I fail to see how smoking on a balcony can create $560 worth of cleaning expenses. I would simply run a chargeback and challenge the property to produce evidence of that additional expenditure.

Of course, the long term remedy is for the OP's party to vote with their feet and move their business to properties where they are going to be made more welcome. See FT's Smoking Lounge for details.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
The smoke will have drifted back into the room, so it needed cleaning, whether or not people smoked inside.. The cost is probably in the terms and conditions agreed when renting the room. My guess is it is $500 plus tax. It is not meant to cover the actual cost of cleaning, it is intended to provide a disincentive to people smoking in the room. Therefor I doubt the hotel has to prove it incurred extra costs.
Redhead, Brendan, C17PSGR and 14 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
As of a year ago at least looks like they did specifically allow smoking on the balcony (assuming that's the same as terrace) - https://www.yelp.com/questions/the-c...2Clpmw?start=0
Brendan and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I fail to see how smoking on a balcony can create $560 worth of cleaning expenses.
I guess you've never had to deodorize anything.

challenge the property to produce evidence of that additional expenditure.
They don't need to produce any evidence other than notice that every guest is provided.

Of course, the long term remedy is for the OP's party to vote with their feet and move their business to properties where they are going to be made more welcome.
There are much better remedies, but those are best left to OMNI.
C17PSGR and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by Truffles
The smoke will have drifted back into the room, so it needed cleaning, whether or not people smoked inside.. The cost is probably in the terms and conditions agreed when renting the room. My guess is it is $500 plus tax. It is not meant to cover the actual cost of cleaning, it is intended to provide a disincentive to people smoking in the room. Therefor I doubt the hotel has to prove it incurred extra costs.
A disincentive to smoke in the room is not effective when it is charged to someone who ostensibly did not smoke in the room. It is clearly unreasonable to charge this fee to someone because they smoked on a balcony with hotel-provided ash trays, unless they stood on the balcony with the slider open and exhaled into the room. My gut tells me that the guests were not sufficiently submissive and apologetic to appease security staff, and the smoking charge was an act of reprisal.
Brendan, T8191, Arsey00 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Smoking should just be banned period at all hotels regardless of balcony or not

as a non smoker nothing pisses me off more than walking into a room smelling smoke. I’m sorry but I have zero sympathy for op

smoke off property if you must
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by Nuhusky

as a non smoker nothing pisses me off more than walking into a room smelling smoke. I’m sorry but I have zero sympathy for op

So because you disagree with the hotel's policy of allowing smoking on the balcony, you are fine with the OP being charged a fee for abiding by the hotel's policy?
witthuus, T8191, jerry305 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
So because you disagree with the hotel's policy of allowing smoking on the balcony, you are fine with the OP being charged a fee for abiding by the hotel's policy?
yes. And let’s be honest. This is he said she said

Security was called on op because they were smoking. hotel allows smokers on the balcony but yet op was told to stop. That must mean op was doing something they should not have otherwise why call security and why threaten to kick op out???

now op is crying sour grapes. Sorry no sympathy from me

How is your radar for bs not going off.

Clearly something isn’t adding up.

david55, Fizzer, muji and 11 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:33 am
Suspended

Many hotels, particularly in the USA, do actually ban smoking on balconies. The fact that ashtrays were provided by the hotel strongly suggests that this is not one of those properties.
Brendan, T8191, Arsey00 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Also, what were they smoking? Could it have been a rather strong-smelling herb that got the attention of other guest and security?
Brendan, KenTarmac and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: None - previously UA

Clearly something isn’t adding up.
Putting ashtrays on the balcony and then charging ~$600 when they get used seems dishonest.
Brendan, muji, T8191 and 6 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.