Marriott Doha [Master Thread]

Old Aug 26, 19, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF
Marriott Doha [Master Thread]

In October, I booked a stay at Doha Marriott in early September. I booked there because of its proximity to the airport. I've just received an email advising that this hotel will close for renovations on 1st September. They advised that they've transferred my booking to the Sheraton Grand Doha Resort.

I find it odd that they couldn't tell me about the closure until so soon before my stay.

I'd just like to ask how easy it is to get to and from the airport from Sheraton Grand Doha? I'm only staying in the airport because we have a 31 hour layover. I'll be travelling with an elderly relative who has reduced mobility, so we won't be doing any sight seeing. It's been a long holiday away and we'll have 3 suitcases, plus hand luggage. They haven't given me other options anyway. It's either take this option or cancel without any cancellation fees.
Old Aug 26, 19, 3:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/LTG, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by weegraeme View Post
In October, I booked a stay at Doha Marriott in early September. I booked there because of its proximity to the airport. I've just received an email advising that this hotel will close for renovations on 1st September. They advised that they've transferred my booking to the Sheraton Grand Doha Resort.

I find it odd that they couldn't tell me about the closure until so soon before my stay.

I'd just like to ask how easy it is to get to and from the airport from Sheraton Grand Doha? I'm only staying in the airport because we have a 31 hour layover. I'll be travelling with an elderly relative who has reduced mobility, so we won't be doing any sight seeing. It's been a long holiday away and we'll have 3 suitcases, plus hand luggage. They haven't given me other options anyway. It's either take this option or cancel without any cancellation fees.
The Marriott has been talking about the renovation for a while, and details always changed - they talked of closing one tower at a time, entertained closing the whole hotel, wanting to start the renovation last February and so on. The last minute switch must have just materialized, and these things happen. At least they were proactive in changing your reservation.

The Marriott is about seven minutes from the airport, and the Sheraton about fifteen to twenty depending on traffic [both hotels are on the Corniche/road running along the Gulf, but on different stretches of it]. You can order an UberXL out of Hamad International, but there are also Karwa taxis of different sizes [Karwa is the local taxi company and is very professional and reliable]. There is a new Four Points joining the family in September and will be closer to the airport [about ten minutes away if youíre really crunching time], but you really canít go wrong with the Sheraton.

khabah
Old Aug 26, 19, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by khabah View Post

The Marriott has been talking about the renovation for a while, and details always changed - they talked of closing one tower at a time, entertained closing the whole hotel, wanting to start the renovation last February and so on. The last minute switch must have just materialized, and these things happen. At least they were proactive in changing your reservation.

Thanks for the reply.

They may have been talking about it for a while, but there was no mention of it on their website. I would call their response reactive, not proactive. It was a pre-paid, non-refundable booking, so they knew I'd be coming.
The Marriott is about seven minutes from the airport, and the Sheraton about fifteen to twenty depending on traffic [both hotels are on the Corniche/road running along the Gulf, but on different stretches of it]. You can order an UberXL out of Hamad International, but there are also Karwa taxis of different sizes [Karwa is the local taxi company and is very professional and reliable]. There is a new Four Points joining the family in September and will be closer to the airport [about ten minutes away if youíre really crunching time], but you really canít go wrong with the Sheraton.

khabah
Thanks again.

I've never used Uber. I don't know if I can sign up and make my first trip in a foreign country. I'd be a bit concerned about not being able to let them know if my flight is delayed.
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:06 am

[QUOTE=w

I've never used Uber. I don't know if I can sign up and make my first trip in a foreign country. I'd be a bit concerned about not being able to let them know if my flight is delayed.[/QUOTE]

I'm in Canada, in a town without Uber, but use it when I travel in the US and parts of Canada and absolutely love it. The trick for me at an airport is finding out where you pick up an Uber. You order it when you need it and, at least in NA, you see how many cars are around you and available. You see how long until your ride arrives (on a map) and you get the name and picture of the driver as well as the make /model of the car. You get a pretty accurate estimate of the cost before you get in and you don't need to give cash or a card (all is taken care of via the app) and you just worry about the tip. It's a great service and feels very secure!
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RocketG View Post
I'm in Canada, in a town without Uber, but use it when I travel in the US and parts of Canada and absolutely love it. The trick for me at an airport is finding out where you pick up an Uber. You order it when you need it and, at least in NA, you see how many cars are around you and available. You see how long until your ride arrives (on a map) and you get the name and picture of the driver as well as the make /model of the car. You get a pretty accurate estimate of the cost before you get in and you don't need to give cash or a card (all is taken care of via the app) and you just worry about the tip. It's a great service and feels very secure!
Thanks.

Thatís answered one question and set another. Tipping hadnít occurred to me as we generally do expect or give tips in Australia. I hadnít planned on getting Qatari currency as Iíll only be in the country from around 6 pm until 2 am just over a day later.

But I guess this is getting a bit off topic for a Marriott forum.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (SPG75), HH Diamond, PC Plat Amb, BA EC Gold, Asiana DiamondTK Elite
Had a one night stay in Doha and just got an email from the Marriott Doha that the hotel will be closed from September 1st 2019 until sometime in 2021.

Was rebooked to the Sharq Village & Spa, a Ritz-Carlton Hotel just around the Corner, including Lounge Access.

Please be advised that the Doha Marriott Hotel will commence the transformation of all its facilities starting September 1st, 2019. This project is expected to be completed by 2021 and will require the full closure of the hotel.
Lizie likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by DaveMidknight View Post
Had a one night stay in Doha and just got an email from the Marriott Doha that the hotel will be closed from September 1st 2019 until sometime in 2021.

Was rebooked to the Sharq Village & Spa, a Ritz-Carlton Hotel just around the Corner, including Lounge Access.

Sorry to hear it's going to be closed for so long. We quite liked it although it was rather tired. Economical as well as a Cat 2 hotel so wonder if that is going to go up a Category when reopens.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:53 am

Just saw your reply - you can even tip in the app. This is what I do - I like the security of not handling money. I am not sure about tipping culture in Doha however.
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:09 pm

Would recommend UBER. Should only be about $13 usd with no tip one way to the Sheraton.

Otherwise, ask Marriott to rebook at Sharq right next door.
Old Sep 15, 19, 4:05 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
I have an upcoming points redemption at Marriott Doha and I have not been contacted about rebooking. I had no idea about potential renovations at the time I booked.

I am curious if they will just move me somewhere else at no extra charge, or cancel my points redemption (which was cheap) and require me to pay more points for another property.

My flight lands in DOH at 16:30 and I depart at 2:05 so I don't even have 10 hours in Doha, so most likely I will be in the hotel for no more than 7 hours and proximity to the airport was key for me. In other circumstances I would not mind a more upscale hotel farther away but in this instance I wanted proximity rather than luxury. I hope they can move me to Sharq and not somewhere else which might be nicer but less convenient.
Old Sep 15, 19, 4:33 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl., Accor-Plat., Former FPC-Plat.
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
I have an upcoming points redemption at Marriott Doha and I have not been contacted about rebooking. I had no idea about potential renovations at the time I booked.

I am curious if they will just move me somewhere else at no extra charge, or cancel my points redemption (which was cheap) and require me to pay more points for another property.

My flight lands in DOH at 16:30 and I depart at 2:05 so I don't even have 10 hours in Doha, so most likely I will be in the hotel for no more than 7 hours and proximity to the airport was key for me. In other circumstances I would not mind a more upscale hotel farther away but in this instance I wanted proximity rather than luxury. I hope they can move me to Sharq and not somewhere else which might be nicer but less convenient.
I was moved to the Ritz-Carlton Sharq Village. I received a refund for the Marriott stay and a comped night at the RC. RC provided free breakfast buffet, two drinks, a sea view upgrade and a morning check in.
Old Sep 15, 19, 5:39 am

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by rny321 View Post
I was moved to the Ritz-Carlton Sharq Village. I received a refund for the Marriott stay and a comped night at the RC. RC provided free breakfast buffet, two drinks, a sea view upgrade and a morning check in.
Do you mean you were moved from Marriott to Sharq at no extra charge, or you got REFUND from Marriott plus free night at Sharq? The former is generous enough, if it's the latter then it's almost too good to be true!
narvik and AbuCordoba like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:55 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl., Accor-Plat., Former FPC-Plat.
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Do you mean you were moved from Marriott to Sharq at no extra charge, or you got REFUND from Marriott plus free night at Sharq? The former is generous enough, if it's the latter then it's almost too good to be true!
I received a refund for the Marriott stay AND a free night at the RC, so I paid nothing for the night. I was impressed that not only did the hotel provide a free night in Doha, but the hotel did so without any prompting from me. Since I was notified several days in advance, some hotels would not have done much for me. So, I got a room at the RC, breakfast and drinks and my only spending was for tips.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:14 am

I received a refund for the Marriott stay AND a free night at the RC, so I paid nothing for the night. I was impressed that not only did the hotel provide a free night in Doha, but the hotel did so without any prompting from me. Since I was notified several days in advance, some hotels would not have done much for me. So, I got a room at the RC, breakfast and drinks and my only spending was for tips.
Wow this is a lot more than I would have expected! I will hold on to my reservation and hope someone contacts me down the road with something as generous as for you.
Old Sep 20, 19, 5:16 am

Quick update. I have been contacted proactively as well regarding the closure of Marriott Doha. Similar to @my321, I received refund of my stay at Marriott Doha AND received a free night at Sheraton Grand.

Search this Thread