Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fee to empty mini bar fridge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Fee to empty mini bar fridge

Staying at a Marriott (Bonvoy) autograph in France and was just quoted 50 EUR to empty the mini bar fridge in my room. We wanted to store some water bottles. Is that typical in France?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Wow. How much would it set you back to “clear” some of the minibar yourselves (via consumption)?
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Did they misunderstand your request?
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Some minibars have pressure sensors and charge you when you move things.
MimiB22 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Some minibars have pressure sensors and charge you when you move things.
I have a 100% success rate getting those charges removed.
HMPS, JBord, MimiB22 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Since there is both a labor and an accounting cost, some fee is reasonable.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:17 pm

When a business charges a fee to do something out-of-the-ordinary, they have three basic options.
  1. Charge a fee that just covers the cost of performing the task.
  2. Charge a fee that produces a profit.
  3. Charge an outrageous fee to discourage the customer from following through on the request.
Sounds as if this hotel is doing the second or third of the above options.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Jun 4, 2019 at 6:18 pm Reason: Trying to fix spacing.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Ask for a bucket of ice to be brought up every few hours to keep your bottles cold, and I'll bet they will relent on the $50.00 charge.

I've had similar issues in Amsterdam, where they refuse to clear out the fridge and the pressure sensors go off with the slightest movement. I filled the recycling bin in the room with ice and it was better that way.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by catocony
Ask for a bucket of ice to be brought up every few hours to keep your bottles cold, and I'll bet they will relent on the $50.00 charge.

I've had similar issues in Amsterdam, where they refuse to clear out the fridge and the pressure sensors go off with the slightest movement. I filled the recycling bin in the room with ice and it was better that way.
I imagine they would charge a delivery fee for the bucket (that you request every few hours)...
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
just carry or wheel the mini bar down to the front desk and tell them you don't need it emptied-you just do not want it in your room because you are a recovering alcoholic, on a diet, with an eating disorder.

//reminds me of when I was a little unhappy with a hotel in room safe. It was not anchored to the wall or furniture at all. The look on guests faces when I carried it in the elevator (locked) under my arm, and set it on the front desk asking if it was secure was priceless.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
When a business charges a fee to do something out-of-the-ordinary, they have three basic options.
  1. Charge a fee that just covers the cost of performing the task.
  2. Charge a fee that produces a profit.
  3. Charge an outrageous fee to discourage the customer from following through on the request.
Sounds as if this hotel is doing the second or third of the above options.
Of course in this context - because hotels are, theoretically at least, purveyors of hospitality - they could simply accommodate a guest's needs without any additional charge whatsoever and chalk it up to goodwill.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Does their website list a .'mini refrigerator' as a room feature? Uness they dsclosed the fee in advance, or at check in, Id refuse to pay it. Tell them to either bring up a fridge for your use as promised or waive the fee. (A mini-refrigerator is listed as an 'amenity'... they ADDITIONALLY list a mini bar "for a fee". You want the free fridge....)

They decline, empty it and contest the charge.

I wont let crap like this ruin my stay- allow them to decline the accommodation, then take action to correct their error. Deal with the $$ later.
peroorim and jfarbstein like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:17 pm

I believe the St. Regis in DC also charges about $50 US to do this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:45 pm

The charge is outrageous; any property with half an ounce of customer focus wouldn’t have charged it in the first instance, and if a charge had been applied in error it would be removed. Many people do require access to a refrigerator for keeping medication and/or special diet items. It is not a whim or fancy.
Those auto charge fridges are a freakin’ nightmare.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I have a 100% success rate getting those charges removed.
Within a few minutes of entering a hotel in Dubai, I remember saying to my wife not to touch the bottles in the Minibar as they would be automatically charged as soon as they were moved.....only to find her going through them as I turned around....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.